What's new

Thanks for 0.5.5

teenclx

I just found .5.5 in emu-france.
New DX support! What a suprise!
You know I always use .4.8 because the versions after that don't support any more my poor GM 965 X3100.
Now I didn't try .5.5 yet. I don't really now if it will work on my x3100. But lots of thanks for not having forgetten the player like me.:party:

Neville

Indeed, what a wonderful surprise!

I've been testing it during the afternoon and I've noticed sveral key improvements. Now Naomi GD-ROM games accept decrypted roms (you can decrypt them using a debug version of MAME), the new default video plugin is waaaaay faster than the old one and sound seems a bit better.

But there are also a few downsides. Some sets have changed and a datfile for rom managers is needed more than ever. If nobody provides it, next versions of Demul should be able to generate dats for the most popular managers.

And the new video plugin is indeed faster, but with my ATI HD4850 I still have to play fullscreen without the emulator crashing.

OP
T

teenclx

Test report.

Lenove T61: T7100 1G GM965 X3100. Surely the speed is not fast as supposed (9-32 FPS). Ogl3V not tested because famous intel on-board card.
Only tested in window mode. I believe full-screen mode should be easier for the emulator.

Both new dx plugin work great. I can even see some shadow in slashout of Naomi when I select the "modified" in video option.

The render is great. Dx legacy has some texture error in soulcaliber of DC. Dx3V works perfectly. First time I see DC-level light and shadow in Demul! And I have impression (just impression) that its light and shadow are even better than Nulldc. One thing for sure: the textures are ordered much more correctly in Z-axe in Demul 0.5.5 than other actual version emulators.

Dynamite cop of DC can't be played because screen is frozen after SEGA logo in memocard selection screen.

Knights of valor of Atomiswave is tested too (only first stage). No other emulator for comparing. But it works just like an Arcade. What we need more?

Resume:
Speed: Slower than Nulldc 100b16. Same as Nulldc 103.
render: >= Nulldc 103.
Z-buffer: best.
emulativity: DC, Naomi, Atomiswave (Naomi 2 not tested on my T61 who already stived its maximum): Best!
Sound: as the speed is slow, the cutted sound is not representive.

Conclusion: So far the best!

Personally I will still emulate DC on Nulldc 100b16 because it provides an acceptable speed and good graphic on my T61 with on-board card X3100.

Fortunately I think most of player have the video card better than I do.

In that case, Demul 0.5.5 should be the first choice as emulator of Naomi and DC. And don't forget, it's also the only choice for atomiswave and Naomi2.

Neville

Did you manage to play Atomiswave games using the new plugins? In my computer they all crash before loading unless I use gpuOGLv3.

Neville

More problems using v0.55 with Naomi games:

- When changing to another version of the Naomi BIOS, emulator must restart, or no effect.

- Several Capcom games (Capcom vs SNK Millenium Fight, Capcom vs SNK II) need more than 1 credit to start, but "Insert coin" only works the first time, leaving them unplayable.

EDIT: And by all means stay with the old gpuOGLV3 video plugin, otherwise half the time you'll crash the emulator. You can still get full speed by checking the "Multithread" option in the plugins menu.

Last edited:
OP
T

teenclx

I didn't test other game.
Because of my on-boarsd card, I can only test on DX GPU plugin.

I didn't pay attention on SPU plugin. Sorry about that.

OP
T

teenclx

Can bleemcast ISO run on 0.5.5?
I tried:
Bleemcast
bleemcasted Thrill kill
bleemcasted Vargant story.

always crashed after SEGA logo.

OP
T

teenclx

Thx. I believe the issue of bleemcast is related to my T61 because I have already try Daemon tool with gdrDemul plugin.
My file is in format cdi. Can it be the cause?

Neville

Ooops. I thought you meant running ISOs wit Demul, not Bleemcast. I had the same problem (crashing after Sega logo) until I tried using that plugin.