What's new

Newbie questions (CHDs, BIOS, AW)

Neville

Hello there. I'm a newbie to DCEmul and I have a few questions.

1) What are *exactly* the BIOS files needed? Note that I'm not asking where to get them, just the name of the files and what they do. Right now I have a DC.ZIP for DC emulation and I've copied all BIOS files from MAME to the ROMs folder, but I still get missing file errors her and there.

2) For Naomi / Naomi2 emulation, I'm using romsets + CHD from Mame. Are they supported? Where I'm expected to place the CHDs? I've followed a guide from another website to convert the CHDs to BINs using a Mame Developer's version, but that doesn't seem to work.

3) Are AW games playable? I've tried a couple, and they make it to demo, but then I can't insert coin(s) to play, despite having configured the JAMMA controller.

4) Can I have a RomCenter datfile for this emu? The one at Logiqx is outdated, and I want to see if my romsets are 100% compatible.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
1) The file 1_01d_01.bin is the BIOS for "v1.01d [1998, 1999]". Other are named 1_004_01.bin, 1_011_01.bin, and 1_01d_02.bin repectively. The contents of Dc.dat verify this. If you still get errors, extract the BIOs files from the archive to the Demul directory.
2) Yes, they are supported, but IIRC, need to be encrypted or decrypted (forgot which). They go into the roms directory, just like all the other game files.
3) I can't answer this.
4) Probably not. Although I wouldn't be too surprised if one pops up sooner or later.

Last edited:
OP
N

Neville

Alright, then, how do I decrypt / encrypt those CHDs and what do I do with the resulting files?

OP
N

Neville

BTW, #3 solved, apparently I didn't notice there's a separate menu to configure AW controllers. Duh

OP
N

Neville

#2 solved, learned how to convert CHDs with a debug mame version. All you have to do is load the game in mame, then rename the ENCRYPTED_WHATEVER file created in the mame folder as WATHEVER.BIN and add it to the zipfile.

I guess some of these questions were already answered in the phorum, but I didn't know where to start. You should make sure stuff like this is on the top of the phorum at all times.

shuriken

Do you need to have CHD's for ALL of the NAOMI games? I have BIN files for the games, EG 'Ikaruga.bin', but I just get errors all the time, like "cant find Ikaruga.bin, in romset Ikaruga", well I have Ikaruga.bin in my roms folder, so why do I get this error for nearly every NAOMI game!!??

What am I doing wrong? Im a noob yea, but Im becoming extremely frustrated! This emulator is nothing but error this, error that so far. Only game that got past the boot-screen was KOV7SPRT

OP
N

Neville

There are two kinds of Naomi games, those which came in carts and those which came in GD-ROM, Naomi's take on the CD-ROM.

With the ones that come in carts, there's nothing to worry about. MAME versions will do, and you'll be able to tell them apart because they're pretty big in size.

GD-ROM versions are a bigger pain in the arse. Usually the MAME version consists of a very small (bytes size) ZIP plus a CHD. You need both files and a debug version of MAME, found on their website. Once you've run the game under MAME, you'll end up with a couple of files in its folder, encrypted.bin and decrypted.bin.
You need to rename encrypted.bin as nameofset.bin, then place it inside that small ZIP I mentioned earlier, the one that has the name of the set and it's only a few bytes.

Then you can use that game under Demul. My advice would be to stick to cart versions until the other sets become more widespread.

Nologic

If you have Mame 0.131 or newer CHD sets you may want to try out my out dated converter to automate a good part of the process.

Link

It should be valid for Naomi 1 GD-Rom games...but very questionable about Naomi 2 & any Cart based games.

Nologic

No not between...but can do both...best bet is to do makaron and then in demul simply select decrypted rom and load the file that was created for use with makaron.

OP
N

Neville

OK, thanks for the quick answer. I've been fiddling with Makaron these days, but Naomi games are hard to find. Just thought it would be faster to just convert some of my Demul set, because I already deleted the ROM+CHD stuff. No need to keep those, I thought, because after all they're not playable in MAME.

Thanks anyway, that utility of yours sounds awesome.

Nologic

Well you can convert between...just not using my utility directly to do so.

However the other tools contained with my package can do it...but you'll be doing so manually.

Give me a bit to refresh my memory and to scratch my head a bit and I should be able to do a simple how-to.

Hell maybe I'll even get motivated do a simple app for it....hehe don't get your hopes up.

OP
N

Neville

If it's just for me, don't do it. I've already settled for Demul when it comes to Naomi emulation. But if other people want it and / or request it... go for it.

Nologic

Okay I was wrong you can not convert Demul roms over to be used by Makaron...at least not with the tools I have on hand.