What's new

Just a few questions...

deathzero021

Okay here are just a few questions i have with this emulator:

1) What is up with the VMU support? No matter what i can't get saving to work at all. I used a bin from chankast actually to get it semi-working but not 100% The dreamcast bios can recognize the file, so it thinks there's a VMU in port 1a, with 200 blocks free, though no game has been able to recognize it...
2) I checked the compatibility list for what games i should be able to play, however even the games that are marked "playable" still crash for me. Examples:
Spawn crashes when i get to the title screen, D2 crashes when you get to gameplay. I'm not really wanting to test any more then that...
3) The whole site or community for Demul is kinda crap, the compat list doesn't really help, most have comments that not everyone is going to understand, people keep talking about files that not everyone can understand... Why not just include everything you need?... namely the bios? i understand there's the legal issue but the whole damn operation here is illegal anyway. So what i'm saying, can't there at least be some guidance as to what you need for the bios?
I loaded up the program and it said dc.zip can't be found... like wtf?
Where does it say what that is or what needs to be in it or where to get it?
Of course i figured it out, nothing here helped one bit with that, i had to get the bios, try all four names for the bios file until i found the correct one and put it in a zip folder named "dc" now don't you think it would be much simpler to have something that tells you to do that? damn...

Last thing i like to say, how does this thing play any games for anyone? Seriously, can someone tell me, that they actually completed a game using this thing?
I've heard a lot of people complaining about it, then someone try to help them saying stuff the obviously the person won't understand. This is by far the most difficult emulator i've come across.
Anyway i just wanted to know if there was some kind of secret that isn't said any where around here that gets this thing to function... i mean if someone says the game works, why doesn't it work then? i don't get that one bit. The games seem to have no graphical problems for me, no sound problems, speed is 100%... then it just flat out crashes?

[EDIT: lol sorry about all this, i fixed my own problem. It was actually my VISTA. Looks like emulators aren't to friendly with it lol, i ran the games and emu on my XP and it works fine xD
Also, you can use a vista, just switch the compatibility, though it will still crash sometimes, but if you don't have an XP then you kinda gotta live with it lol.
Sorry for the trouble and hope i at least helped anyone else with the same problem!

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
1) IIRC, VMU support has been dodgy in Demul as long as I can remember. It does work, but it doesn't work very reliably. have you tried to format the VMU in the Dreamcast main menu?
2) Different disc images, different operation systems, etc.
3) The reason the BIOS and Flash files are not included is because they are copyrighted by Sega. It falls under the same category as commercial applications and games. Besides, emulators themselves are not illegal in any way. They're programs that emulate the functions of a machine. The ability for these emulators to play games is a side effect of the emulation. Yes, many people use illegally obtained ROM images and disc images to play games, but on the other hand, a good number of users rip their own games. Yes, sounds two-faced, but it happens.

The whole dc.zip issue is more like an oversight from the developers, and I agree that it would have been better if they had addressed it properly.

* It is a documented fact that people have played Dreamcast games from start to finish on Demul. Some of that documentation lurks somewhere in here.