What's new

JP N64 Animal Crossing (Doubutsu no Mori) item screen looks terrible

regnad

The item screen on the Japanese version of Animal Crossing (Doubutsu no Mori) looks awful -- instead of the "hand", it's a huge black square obscuring a third of the items including the one it's holding.

Is this just the way the ROM is? Does everyone else have this problem? Is there a better ROM dump available?

I have no problems with pretty much everything else I run on PJ64.

Quvack

It's an issue with the emulation, not the rom itself.

If I recall correctly its a framebuffer issue, but its been years so I dunno :p

Apart from that it runs pretty well in PJ64 :)

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Looking at some older threads, some people suggest Glide64.

Is this a good idea?
Yes0 it is, seeing how Glide64's feature set and compatibility are the highest out of all graphics plugins out there.

OP
R

regnad

Installed Glide64, now the item menu looks even worse.

Any suggestions? Is it configured wrong somehow?

Gonetz

Plugin Developer (GlideN64)
Glide64 does not emulate frame buffer effect, used in the menu. Try Direct64 for this game.

OP
R

regnad

I tried Direct64, and I get "error creating Direc3D device" immediately upon opening the ROM, and then PJ64 crashes. This is true with every ROM, not just this one.

Is there a solution to this?

Agozer

It would hurt if you told us what your graphics card is.

Last edited:

Agozer

Intel chips are not good enough to run Direct64, and are considered below minimum requirements even for Project64's default plugins. This explains your graphical problems with Doubutsu no Mori as well as difficulties with Direct3D detection in general.

To put it bluntly, what you have is bottom of the barrel.

Get the latest drivers from Intel and stick to using Jabo's Direct3D6 plugin, because that is pretty much the only plugin that will work [adequately] with Intel chips.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Intel chips are not good enough to run Direct64, and are considered below minimum requirements even for Project64's default plugins. This explains your graphical problems with Doubutsu no Mori as well as difficulties with Direct3D detection in general.

To put it bluntly, what you have is bottom of the barrel.

Get the latest drivers from Intel and stick to using Jabo's Direct3D6 plugin, because that is pretty much the only plugin that will work [adequately] with Intel chips.

That's true if it's an i815, which is ancient, anyways, but G31/GMA3xxx and later not only supports 32-bpp, but also pixel shader!

That's where the bad Intel reputation comes from, the dreaded i815. (circa 2001)

The i815 (a.k.a. 82815) requires that you drop down to 16-bit color and yes, glitches are common!

--> And if you have an i815, then that means your PC is at least 8 or 7 years old! o_O

Seriously, if your PC is at least within 2 years old, there's a good chance the Intel video is going to be fine with DirectX 8.

Infact, with the Intel GMA3xxx video, there seems to be just minor problems with Zelda: OOT, the outside lantern flames don't appear like they should, only a glow and sometimes none at all, but the flames in levels are fine.

Last edited:

Clements

Yep, Intel graphics are improving in both features and speed, and the latest are approaching the lowest end integrated ATI solutions. However, the drivers are still very hit and miss depending on the game you are running. Older Intel graphics (particularly Extreme) are definitely not up to scratch, while certain Intel GMAs lack speed rather than necessarily features.