What's new

Graphics Emulation Appears to Work better In Linux....

Cybertronic

So I recently purchased an EEEPC 1000HE still has the Stock 1gb of DDR2 Ram with the latest 801 Bios firmware and I didn't care much for Windows on it so I installed Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty... and I wanted to see how powerful the Intel Atom Really was, so I tried a couple emulators Starting with NES and working my way up to more CPU intensive systems. I was dismayed by the selection I had for N64 emulators for linux/unix mostly vaporware... So Not expecting too much I figured I would see how Project 64 would work running under WINE in Ubuntu..... I loaded up Zelda 64... and to my surprise the graphical bugs that would normally be present when you enter a room and it shows you the top down view is not present, everything is displayed normally. The Inventory menu comes up rather well and there are no graphical errors in it. Video plays at 45-61fps but usually stays in the 50's

This Wonderful Windows Based N64 Emulator ACTUALLY PLAYS BETTER UNDER WINE?!!

:plain:

I dare you guys to try the same.... my best guess is Project64 is displaying graphics how it Thinks it should be displayed (but not really how Micro$oft thinks it should be displayed) And Wine also Displays graphics how it thinks it should be displayed perhaps Project64 and Wine use the same source graphics libraries?

Toasty

Sony battery
its not a microsoft issue at all, its a Driver issue / hardware issue with Geforce 6 and higher.
I thought the 1000HE had Intel's GMA 950... :huh:

But as far as the original question goes, there are sometimes situations where Wine's implementation of the Windows API can actually be more efficient, or better at dealing with certain situations, than Microsoft's. Star Wars KOTOR has always worked better for me on Wine than on Vista.