What's new

USB Networking

Eagle

aka Alshain
To network via USB, does it require a USB NIC card or will standard USB ports work?

EdgeBlade

Brandonn
I'd imagin you'd have to have a USB NIC, but I didn't even know there was such a thing. If you just needed a USB port wouldn't you need software to do the part of the NIC card?

Then again, USB scanners don't need a PCI card like the older ones do...

lol, that wan't much help, sorry. :)

Tk64

The Other Village Idiot
Don't ask me, I only do 10-100 MBit stuff. However I have seen USB NICs advertised so I think it makes sense that you need a pair of NICs.

In the ad the NICs looked like a 1.5" x .75" bulge on a regular USB cable.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
My cable modem came with USB software. USB is just sooo much faster than 10baseT

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
According to the Toshiba website (who makes my Cable Modem)

USB modems are plug-and-play, with no complicated hardware settings to adjust, no opening up your computer just to get high-speed Internet access. The USB cable (supplied) simply plugs into your USB-capable Windows 98SE/2000/ME/XP computer and your modem. You save up to $100.00 in setup charges by not having to buy the Ethernet Card. Plus, installation becomes less time-consuming and less complex!

EddyB43

British Old Gamer
USB networking cables have a NIC at each end of the cable, that's why they can be fairly expensive vs. normal ethernet. USB1.0 peaks at 12Mbps, against the usual 10/100Mbps a normal PCI NIC can do.

I don't know if there are separate "USB NICs", but if there are they are probably just really short cables with a connector for a standard USB cable to connect into.

I'd personally prefer PCI NIC based broadband over USB, since it means I don't have to use USB at all (USB can be pretty messy on Athlon's unfortunately) and it makes it easier for sharing the connection with routing software, or even a physical router.

Then again, I'm still happy plodding along on my badly capped 56Kbps dialup ;)

Tk64

The Other Village Idiot
Eagle: Fine, but consider that few modems have >1 MBit connections to the outside world, why wouldn't 10MBit be enough?

And besides, there wasn't much of a charge, since I previously used the router for the LAN. Just bought the modem and plugged it in, no extra cost. :p

And how, I ask, would you connect 9 computers on a LAN and give them all the cable internet connection without ICS if the modem is USB? If the modem was USB you would always have to power up one computer, plus the one you work with, and then have ICS...eeeew.

Naaah. 10baseT rules.

Last edited:
OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
First of all, a cable modem can do 10Mbits per second upstream, and mine can do around 45Mbits per second downstream.

Second, just because downloading the file from the internet to the modem is slow, doesn't mean you have to have it travel from the modem to the computer slowly. And, I only have a 10baseT NIC card, not a dual speed.

Third, USB internet gateway routers can have their own power source if you look for the right ones.

Basically, I'm talking about my computer only. I already had everything I needed. It all came with the modem. I'm now on USB and it works slightly faster than my 10baseT NIC card and I don't have to waste an IRQ and PCI slot on the NIC either. There really is no reason why I shouldn't use USB.

Tk64

The Other Village Idiot
Eagle said:
First of all, a cable modem can do 10Mbits per second upstream, and mine can do around 45Mbits per second downstream.

Is 45MBit the specs or the actual connection?

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Its the specs, according to cox, the actual dowstream would be much higher if it weren't for modem limitations.