What's new

Final Fantasy ?????

2bzy4ne1

Mmmmm....Beeeeerrrr
Which Final Fantasy do people prefer the most? I'm talking about all of them from the first one all the way to FFX. I'm curious about this. ???

Martin

Administrator
I've only played one Final Fantasy game long enough to base an opinion and that's FFIX. I thought it was great. :D

Remote

#6 is the undisputed champion is my book, #7 is good but not great. I haven't played #10 but from what I've seen from it, it could be a serious contestant for #1.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
I'd really like to play 10, since I've heard and seen some from it, it should probably be even better than 7. Oh, and just look at 11! :D

Eagle

aka Alshain
I liked

FF7
FF9
FF8
FF6 (SNES FF3)
FF4 (SNES FF2)
FF5
FF1
FF2 (English Translation)
FF3 (English Translation)

in that order. I haven't played 10 yet. A lot of people didn't like #8 but I loved it. I guess some people think it was too complex, but I like mentally stimulating games. I haven't played Tactics or any of the Gameboy ones that didn't follow the series either.

Cyberman

This is a really tough question
FF7
FF8
FF10
FF6
FF5
FF9
FF4
FF1
I've played FFTactics it's GREAT too but it's really seperate :)
I think FF11 will be a dog that's because it has no real interest from me..

Cyb

OP
2bzy4ne1

2bzy4ne1

Mmmmm....Beeeeerrrr
Does anyone think that FF 11 will be any good after knowing it will be an online game?

Eagle

aka Alshain
I think it will be fine, assuming they maintain the servers well. There are a lot of successful MMORPG games. Everquest, Ultima, Dark Age Of Camelot, Anarchy Online, Asherons Call. Squaresoft just needs to keep on top of things to eliminate any possible hacks that will allow people to cheat.

Nokturne

Best(s): 1 and 8.

1, the only one that doesn't bore me out to play over and over again. Perhaps cuz its the only one that actually gives you the freedom to pick your party...

8, best story of any game, console or pc, period. Simplistic gameplay aside, the story alone (cept the horrid ending) makes up for all other mishaps.

Worsts: 5, 9, and 10

5, well, I liked the idea behind the class/skill system later used (better) in FFTactics, but it just didn't work for a rpg. Add to that a sloppy plot and you have a fairly crappy game in my eyes.

9, bah! Someone out there was smokin crack in the making of 9. Super-Deformed 3d characters do not belong in this world! They said this was the game to be "like the old ones", but i never saw that. Felt like a combination of 6,7, and 8 to me. Not what i call goin back to their roots ;) But none of that is a good excuse to call this game bad. No no, i'll leave that to the supremely fruity story and UBER simple-minded gameplay rivaling that of FF: Mystic Quest (a game that was suppose to be designed for kids).

10, i actually loved this for about 10 hours of the game. But then it all came to me, this game does nothing but repeat itself over and over. And lo' and behold, after finally beating it, that was all so very true. I haven't touched the game since. I don't even know what i loved about it for them 10 hours :/

a special kudos to FF7... i thought it was a barely above-mediocre game guilty of being nothin but a shiny object in my view (ala introducing fancy-pants movies, long-winded spells, side-tracking mini-games galore, and overly cheesy soap-opera-like moments), but it managed to singlehandedly bring rpg's to the mainstream and revitalize the genre. Certainly helped us old timer rpg'ers by finally gettin the games flowing in.

All the other FF games, i liked, nothin special :).

And there's my semi-review of the main Final Fantasy games :D Like it or not.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Anchel said:
I played FFX and I think it is great! But the graphics could be better for the PS2

Well, keep in mind they made most of FFX before the system was even released. Poor graphics is typical of a new system. Look at PSX, most of its first few games looked like SNES games. Then after FF7 it kept getting better and better. SO with FFX the graphics look like PSX because they haven't gotten used to the new system.

Nokturne

haha... i'd say snes STILL has better graphics than a plain ol PSX...

and whats so wrong with FFX's graphics? Besides the graphical parkinson's disease (aka people shaking in the cut-scenes), one of if not the best lookin games on any system

Last edited:

Cyberman

Nokturne said:
haha... i'd say snes STILL has better graphics than a plain ol PSX...

and whats so wrong with FFX's graphics? Besides the graphical parkinson's disease (aka people shaking in the cut-scenes), one of if not the best lookin games on any system

Ummm actually the PSX had better built in graphics than the SNES though the SNES could exceed them by using some cartridge capabilities.

Some of the things that weren't so good on the PSX:
24 bit color mode could only really be used with MDECs since doing 24bit color 3d used so much memory on the PSX almost ALL games were done in 16 bit mode for the PSX except for the MDECS (see FF7 FF8 and FF9). 640x480 resolution was possible but it was only used for things like startup screens, and even then rarely (Medievil and Medievil 2 used this mode). 512x240 mode was used in all of the Tomb Raider Games however.

The maping of the 24 bit color mode sucked :)
BG RB GR

Sound was kind of limited and there was no way of adding special compression tools because the CPU was so weak (IE 33mhz was too slow to do software MP3 decoding), one could add an external dohickey to do the decoding but that's not particularly cost effective and a pain to demand someone have it just for your game.

Lack of SONY expansion enhancements and the ability to do them (the external pack thing was nice but way to limited).

The PS2 has a better display system and has more expandability however, there are things I noticed about it. The hard disk interface bus is Sony's own proprietary version of EIDE. The Linux version comes with a 40G hard disk however there seems to be a problem that they hobbled all access to the DVD features and the cards etc. Essentially SONY has written a proprietary 'Magic' Gate software that prevents people from having access like they did to the PSX memory cards. Now you have to license the software to make them, this is why the memory card market for the Playstation 2 is either at the same price or more than the expensive than SONY price. This makes things quite difficult for competition with sony mostly.

The Joysticks are the same thus no new licensing is needed so ... not a big deal.

USB this is a big unknown, especially for the PS2 to enumerate periferals and to use them.

I think that though the PS2 is a great machine, Sony is way to controlling of there hardware. I don't think we'll see much other than Sony offered things for the PS2 in terms of new periferals (like the Gameshark keyboard and the gameshark connector for transfering data). It's all NDA'd and thus whatever the people at gameshark know, no one else can find out. Such is life.

Cyb

B*A*G*G

Emutalk Member... sorta
im going with chrono trigger (might as well be a final fantasy).
other than that, finalfantasy3 was the best, or better yet finalfantasy6 cause it wasnt censored.

The_Amish

well 7 lost my interest after aeris died (strangely enough) and ten i liked except for tidus i think a character like cloud would have played better in ffx than tidus he seems like he would have fit in that crowd because everyone in your party is so morbid i've played 5,6,8,9 but only for about an hour at most each (friends house mostly) big run on

Eagle

aka Alshain
Awww, that was the best part. Youd never figure they would kill off a main character and then they do! FF7 is awesome because they do. They go and get you emotionally attatched (well, mildly attatched) to a character and then surprise you by killer her off. It just makes you wanna rip Sepiroth's guts out that much more.

Jsr

Thats right. It was something 'special' done by Square. Wich also makes it to one of the best games I've played.