What's new

Trouble with RARC files.

ersmiller

Hello, I'm attempting to view the textures in Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles. (Wii)I've managed to open the data folder and the ARC files, and the BRRES files inside the ARC files, and converted the TPL files to PNG, however while I now have the character skins and object textures, what I was really hoping for, the level textures, are not here. I figure they are stored inside the RARC files which I still cannot open.

I have tried numerous programs to try and open these RARC files but none have worked. rarcdump.exe just creates an empty folder and hangs, most other programs just error and crash.

Does anyone have any idea how to view the contents of these specific RARC files? AM I doing something wrong or are these different than the usual RARC files in other titles?

I have opened them in a hex editor and they all start with "55 aa 38 2d" ("Uª8-") if that helps.

Fluesopp

Yeah, that means they are encrypted with something else than the regular Nintendo games. You need to write a decrypter first.

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
A good start would be this thread and his continued thread.
But you will need some coding knowledge to get started.

OP
E

ersmiller

Thank you... Though, while the link you gave me worked, the link at the end, to the continued thread, did not.
I've tried searching for RARC and SZS, but I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to be looking at.

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
Now I'm really confused.
The thread I linked to has a successor with uncountable pages with lot's of information, but it seems to be gone. The search doesn't find it, same for me. We should wait, probably someone knows where it's gone.

OP
E

ersmiller

I've been wondering about that. I've been using google to research about RARC and such and I think I've tried to access that thread, and a few others on this site, before only to get the not found error.

OP
E

ersmiller

Ok, so if that thread is down are there any other suggestions of where I might go to get some help on opening strangely formatted RARC files?

OP
E

ersmiller

OMG!
Thank you thank you Anton!
I tried another U8 extractor before and it didn't work, but yours did!
Finally!