What's new

Would a new graphics card improve pj64?

BluDChyLD

Im upgrading my geforce2mx to a geforce2 pro 64mb. Do you think pj64 will benefit from this too? I know it's CPU dependant more than anything...
BluDChyLD

bositman

You won't see any great changes but anti-aliasing and anistrific filtering make all games seem really smooth.I think that some(if any) minor issues will be gone but this upgrade wont affect speed

sk8bloke22

roll for life
if u r going for a gf2 pro, go for a gf3 ti 200 instead, as u will be ready for any dx8 games. u will get some increase in pj64, but not as substantial as with a cpu upgrade.

Eagle

aka Alshain
I think that little jump might not do much, On the other hand if you have a 1gig processor, it might help. It depends on where your system is bottlenecked. I upgraded my TNT2 to a GF3 and the sound went from skipping all the time to no skipping at all in Zelda OOT, but I have a 1 gig processor so the video card was the limiting factor on my PC.

Zero

Liar Liar Pants On Fire!
Well I myself have a Geforce 2 MX 400 64 MB wit TV Out (My PC is 1 Ghz )which I use at home and use PJ64 on and I also use another PC with a Geforce 2 Pro 64 MB (also 1Ghz) but there really isn't any difference I think the only thing that would cause a major difference is upgrading to a Geforce 3 500 TI that's about 2.5 times as powerfull as a Geforce 2 MX 400

Eagle

aka Alshain
I was just talking about this with Tesla-Guy on IRC. The Ti200 is half the cost and if I run the test on nVidias website, it says that the Ti500 would only give me a 5% performance increase over the Ti200.

sk8bloke22

roll for life
exactly. i think ppl should either go for an MX400 as a cheap option, or a Ti200 as a cheapo-expensive top range sorta option, if ya get me.

Tesla-Guy

i upgraded from GeForce 2 MX (no 400 or 200, just the old model) to GeForce 3. Only difference is that i got 30fps in 32bit mode in f-zero x now i get 50-60fps. Real games though are REALLY boosted.:colgate: :D :)

Zero

Liar Liar Pants On Fire!
Good for you Tesla-guy but like my dad always says if you have the money folr it you should always get the best there is
and currently that is the Geforce 3 TI 500 even though the TI 200 is alomst equal to it

Eagle

aka Alshain
That money you save could buy something else like a processor or more memory. A FEW NEW GAMES

Jfletcher

I think I paid $375 for my Vid card. I upgraded from a Voodoo 3 so it's night and day with PJ64 and basically everything else except Ultra HLE.

skypilot

Are Radeon's OK for PJ64?

On my emulation system I have an All In Wonder Radeon for the superb TV out.... The 3d is great for most games, but I hear that PJ64 is heavily optimized for Nvidia hardware. Would I get a HUGE performance increase going to a Geforce 2 Pro or GTS?

BTW, My Emu System:

P3 800@1066
256MB PC133 CAS2
DFI BX Mobo
ATI All In Wonder Radeon AGP
80GB WD 7200RPM HDD
Generic PCI Sound Card
Linksys 10/100 NIC

PS: Would a SB Live also help my situation, speed and audio quality wise (stop skipping)?

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Re: Are Radeon's OK for PJ64?

skypilot said:
On my emulation system I have an All In Wonder Radeon for the superb TV out.... The 3d is great for most games, but I hear that PJ64 is heavily optimized for Nvidia hardware. Would I get a HUGE performance increase going to a Geforce 2 Pro or GTS?

BTW, My Emu System:

P3 800@1066
256MB PC133 CAS2
DFI BX Mobo
80GB WD 7200RPM HDD
Generic PCI Sound Card
Linksys 10/100 NIC

PS: Would a SB Live also help my situation, speed and audio quality wise (stop skipping)?

Only the OpenGL plugin is optimised for nVidia, as it used nVidia specific extensions (which apparently ATI support?), the D3D plugin will work well on any advanced D3D card, which means GeForceX or RadeonX. Performance (speed) is not much related to your graphics card unless you use very high levels of FSAA and/or extreme resolutions.

Similarly with sound, it doesn't matter much what sound card you card you have if you using the (a) DirectSound plugin.

abdulla

at some point tho, system bandwidth will be the limiting factor, clock can only be multiplied so many times before it becomes ineffective due to lack of bandwidth, thats why you don't see such a great advantage in getting an extra 100mhz on your 1.3, etc. soon tho we'll have a solution to those problems

abdulla

Re: Are Radeon's OK for PJ64?

skypilot said:

BTW, My Emu System:

P3 800@1066
256MB PC133 CAS2
DFI BX Mobo
80GB WD 7200RPM HDD
Generic PCI Sound Card
Linksys 10/100 NIC

with the soundcard, as i said its more about system bandwith, and also the fact that windows is not a multimedia platform (eg. no true preemption, therefore not good for audiophiles), but the main point is there's only so much n\bandwith with pci (agp is an extension of the pci bus), and the graphics card eats up most of it therefore causing the skipping and popping, it might help tho to move your soundcard toa different irq (both my live and pci64 were skipping after putting into a different slot, bang a lot less, but still infrequent)