What's new

Help! My Computer thinks the windows directory is 0

Eagle

aka Alshain
This is wierd, I installed Omnipage Pro and rebooted and now my computer thinks that the windows directory is 0

I keep getting the following message.

The following file is missing or corrupted: 0\HIMEM.SYS
The following file is missing or corrupted: 0\DBLBUFF.SYS
The following file is missing or corrupted: 0\IFSHLP.SYS
The following file is missing or corrupted: WIN.COM

HIMEM.SYS is missing.
Make sure that the file is in your Windows directory.

Heres the catch. If I create a directory named 0 and copy those files there, it finds them just fine (but then it can't find the registry files). So basically, it thinks the Windows boot directory is named 0, when it is really named Windows. I'm using windows 98SE. If anyone can help me fix this without re-installing, it would be helpfull.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Does anybody know which file stores the location of the Windows directory?

2fast4u

if i remember this right, the windows dir is stored in the registry in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion

im not sure about this, but ill go check on an old comp with 98. there should be an entry that determines the windows dir though.

EDIT: yep, its there. the key is called 'SystemRoot'.

Last edited:
OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Actually, the registry is located in the windows directory. There has to be some way that the command system locates the directory in which windows is installed. Otherwise it wouldn't know where to look for the registry. Its got to be in the root directory.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Found It!!! The MSDOS.SYS file is actually a text file. If you remove the system/read only/hidden attributes you can edit it directly. Some how my file got two extra [Paths] sections in addition to the original where WinBootDir was set =0 Thank god for the guys at www.winguides.com