What's new

2.0Ghz

L

Lachp30

Hi

Just wondering if these specs will be good enough for N64 emulation and high speed gaming

DELL

2.0Ghz Intel Pentuim 4
128mb DDR SD-RAM
64mb Geforce 2 MX AGP
80gig hardrive
Windows XP

Cost - around $2500 Australian
- around $1700 American

Now before you say, get a AMD, i cant. I have to stick with Intel:(

Slougi

Propably yes, although I cannot say for sure. P4 has an extremely weak fpu unit. An Athlon 800Mhz outperforms a P4 1.6 Ghz quite easily in that department, which is also the most decisive for n64 emulation speed.

Macca

more ram for sure you ahould have at least double that, i've got a p III 500 with 448 and xp

Dabba_Deh

The Sultan
For High Speed gaming, DEFINETELY. Maybe a little tiny bit more Ram, but that's all. And don't buy from Dell...They're a rip off. My computer was bought at a place called PCW http://www.pcwent.com And it cost me...you know how much? $650 plus tax...CANADIAN! This is a WAAAAY better deal than buying from dell. But, Dell has much better support, so that isn't necessarily a bad choice...But if it's value you want, custom PC's are the way to go!

Eagle

aka Alshain
I have to agree with you on the Intel thing. AMD makes great processors, but you can't buy a halfway decent motherboard for them, go figure. I've had nothing but trouble with AMD mobos

sk8bloke22

roll for life
i wouldnt go with dell. they're really limited in some respects, like they still only do Soundblaster Live5.1's, (no audigy's) and u hav no choice but to get those darn Harmon Karnan (spelling is completely wrong) speakers.

OP
L

Lachp30

Actaully..I challenge you both about that. Harmon Karden are one of the best speaker brands on the market. It beats the crap out of getting some cheap imported brand like 'SORNY' and 'Panaphonic'..lol. +, the graphics card in the DELL is fine.

Squall Leonhart

The Reluctant Hero
I'm just saying that an ATI Rage 128 suckz for N64-emu...
U know that don't u?
Well, u can get a nice Nvidia chip GeForce 2 MX 400 or anything, but at a higer prize...

OP
L

Lachp30

The problem with buying computer clones is that there support is crap. Also, could someone go to www.perplus.com.au and tell me weather these people have good computers.

Thanks

sk8bloke22

roll for life
Lachp30 said:
Actaully..I challenge you both about that. Harmon Karden are one of the best speaker brands on the market. It beats the crap out of getting some cheap imported brand like 'SORNY' and 'Panaphonic'..lol. +, the graphics card in the DELL is fine.

ur probably right, but i prefer the more high street sorta speaker that u can get with other companies, as its just like selecting the perfect accessories, u would later upgrade ur pc with anyway. wateva, speakers are really personal preference. and i think Dell tweak their NVIDIA chips...not sure on that though.

Trotterwatch

Some OEMS (ie Dell) used to Underclock their graphics cards from what I have heard. If they still do it, I don't know - but it's a simple enough thing to change default clockspeeds.

sk8bloke22

roll for life
i think Dell was the first company to produce/release a 64mb Geforce2 card (this was when the first geforce 2's were released).

OP
L

Lachp30

Yeh, but is tweaking a good thing or a bad thing?

OP
L

Lachp30

I have no idea what to buy,

People are telling me intel suck, but on the same token they tell me that you can't get a half decent motherboard for AMD

What should i do??

Trotterwatch

You can get plenty of decent Motherboards for the Athlon. A while back that wasn't the case, but nowadays as long as you keep the board drivers and/or Bios up to date, you'll be fine.

The only problem I have ever had with my Motherboard in which an Athlon sits is that it didn't like SB Live! Cards. That was solved though via a very simple patch available from: http://www.viahardware.com

OP
L

Lachp30

Ok, thanks alot. I think im going to go with Intel though.