What's new

Tmpgenc! won't open svcd?!

Josep

eyerun4phun
Err, i have a single, svcd file. in mpg form, and i want to open and convert it with tmpengc, why won't it open? i mean, it isn't opening, and tmpgenc just keeps saying it is unsupported and cannot open it, nyone know the problem?

Eagle

aka Alshain
I can open VCD MPG files just fine with it. I havn't tried SVCD MP2 files though. Are you sure its in a fully supported SVCD format, meaning it has a resolution of 480x480 and is an MPEG-2 format.

I think all video files must be in one of the following resolutions before TMPGEnc can convert it.

720x480 (DVD NTSC) - 29.97fps
720x576 (DVD PAL) - 25fps
480x480 (SVCD NTSC) - 29.97fps
480x480 (SVCD NTSCFilm) - 23.976fps
480x576 (SVCD PAL) - 25fps
352x240 (VCD NTSC) - 29.97fps
352x240 (VCD NTSCFilm) - 23.976fps
352x288 (VCD PAL) - 25fps

I may be incorrect, but I dont believe that TMPGEnc can work with any other resolutions than those listed here. If it is something weird like 320x240, 160x120, or even 640x480 then it wont work.

Here is an awesome resource if you don't know of it already.
http://www.vcdhelp.com/

More specifically, these can help you convert resolutions with Virtual Dub.
http://www.vcdhelp.com/mjpeg.htm
http://forum.vcdhelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=89899

Macca

i was recently using tmpgenc and the results are great, of the ones it is able to convert, i got about 1/2 done, the others came with errors. Trouble opening ACM or somehitng was a big problem on many.

What is the exact error?

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
File "C:\***\***.mpg" can not open, or unsupported. Thats the exact error, but i can't open up svcd files with windows media player, but on my other computer i can open up svcd's with media player and use tmpgenc with svcd's, ITS REALLY ticking me off! i have all the codecs and stuff to!:( still need help!:(

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
It seems that your direct show filter is either broken or not installed. If you just need to convert on this computer you can try avisynth + mpeg2dec but it is not easy to use...

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
ok, can i reinstall, or just some how fix the direct show filter if that is the problem? and if so, um, how?:) haven't ran into this problem b4:(

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
Mpeg2 direct show filters are provided with any software dvd player. Try to install (or reinstall) one and see if you can open your file with the windows media player.

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
well, i installed a few dvd player programs and it played the svcd fine, but windows media player could still not play it, and tmpgenc could still not open the svcd file!:( any suggestions on maybe downloading a different dvd player software? i'm lost now:(

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
I know that Power DVD includes a direct show filter but i don't know for other players (check the documentation of your player). You can also try to reinstall directx 8 or above.

In tmpegenc, you can force to use the direct show filter if you are sure that it is installed correctly. (It is in environnemenetal settings).

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
yea, i put the priority up for the directshow files, if thats what ya mean;) that didn't work:( i'll try getting that program just cause i can't see what else will work at this point

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
i formatted and now i have the same problem again! i've downloaded everything that i did b4 to get it working, but its not working again! errrr, anyone know the required programs used to open svcd's with tmpgenc?! please