What's new

is it worth upgrading my athlon 950 to a 1.4ghz athlon

sk8bloke22

roll for life
they are both socket A, im pretty sure my motherboard supports it, so i dont need to upgrade anything else...(im not talking about the Xp series here) that would be quite a nice speed increase im guessing. also how hard is changing processors, ive changed cdoms, gfx cards, ram, audio cards (simple stuff i know), but im guessing this just involves swapping the processors and a new fan, and a bios upgrade, is that right?

whats the motherboard? and im rpetty certain most older mobos take the 1.4 chip but not the newer xp stuff... course it would be worth it!! as for installing a cpu, its all about knowing not to fuck up heh... nah move the hsf, then there hsould be a lil leaver which requries some elbow grease

OP
sk8bloke22

sk8bloke22

roll for life
sweet, ill check the website, but i cant see why the mobo would restrict it...yah im not looking at Athlon XPs as that would mean a new mobo and ddr ram. im on budget.

Slougi

Well as long as your mobo supports a 133 Mhz (266 Mhz DDR) FSB, you'll be fine with Athlon XP's as well. Meaning if you have at least a KT133A chipset.

OP
sk8bloke22

sk8bloke22

roll for life
GA-7IXE

PROCESSOR
Slot A for AMD® -K7 Athlon 200MHz FSB processors
90*/95*/100/105*/110*/115* MHz FSB
AUTO detect CPU voltage

CHIPSET
AMD® 751 (Irongate) North Bridge
AMD® 756 (Viper) South Bridge
Winbond W83977 I/O set
Winbond W83782 health chip

MEMORY
16MB to 768MB DRAM size
3 x 3.3V DIMM sockets
Supports 64/128/256 MB SDRAM DIMM module
Supports ECC type DIMM module (72bits)

SLOT
1 x AGP slot supports 2X mode
5 x PCI slots support 33MHz & PCI 2.2 compliant
2 x ISA slots

I / O
2 x Ultra DMA 33/ 66 Bus Master IDE ports on board
1 x FDD, 2 x COM, 1 x LPT, PS/2 Keyboard, PS/2 Mouse
¡@on board
2 x USB ports on board
2 x USB ports by cable (cable optional)
IrDA TX / RX Header (optional)

POWER
ATX power connector
Power-on by K/B, PS/2 Mouse, LAN, RTC, Modem & Switch
Power-off by Windows ® 95/98 Shut down & Switch
AC Recovery ON/OFF control
3 Level ACPI LED Support
Stop CPU Fan during entering suspend mode

FORM FACTOR
ATX , 4 layer PCB (30.5*20.8cm)

H/W MONITORING
Auto speed down and alarm when CPU overheat or fan failure
¡@(OS independent & driverless)
3 Fan power & speed detection connectors
Case open Detection
System Health status detect & report by BIOS & SIV
H/W detect ¡Ó5V, ¡Ó12V, CPU voltage & CMOS battery
¡@status

BIOS
2Mbit Flash RAM
AMI BIOS with enhanced ACPI feature for PC98 / Win98
¡@compliance, Green, PnP, DMI, INT13 (>8.4GB) & Anti-Virus
¡@functions
IDE#1~#4, SCSI, LS120, ZIP & CD-ROM bootable
Auto-detect & report system health status

OTHER FEATURES
Includes Wake-On-LAN header (WOL)
Includes Wake-On-Ring (WOR)
Poly fuse for keyboard & USB overcurrent protection

DRIVERS
SIV utility
AMD® AGP miniport driver
AMD® bus master IDE driverm, supports UDMA 33/66

*There speed settings are not guaranteed by GIGABYTE.
The specifiction and pictures are subject to change without notice.
All trademarks and logos are the properties of their respective holders.

Slougi

Ok, the Athlon TB1.4 w/200 Mhz FSB is the highest u can go. Be sure to not get the 266Mhz model, it will most propably not work.

OP
sk8bloke22

sk8bloke22

roll for life
just as i though, cheers anyway...fuck i forgot to check if my mobo was definitely the socket A one or the Slot A one...there were two versions available form gigaybte: 7ixe and 7ixe4...cant remember which one ive got, ill check later. cheers for the help

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
Slougi said:
Ok, the Athlon TB1.4 w/200 Mhz FSB is the highest u can go. Be sure to not get the 266Mhz model, it will most propably not work.

Actually, it might work.. I had my TB 1.4 gig 266 mhz fsb cpu running at 1.33 gig 200 mhz fsb for a while until I upgraded my mobo.. Most Tb 1.4 gig 266 mhz fsb cpus come with their multiplier unlocked.. Easy OCing.. and UnderCing..

Slougi

fivefeet8 said:
Actually, it might work.. I had my TB 1.4 gig 266 mhz fsb cpu running at 1.33 gig 200 mhz fsb for a while until I upgraded my mobo.. Most Tb 1.4 gig 266 mhz fsb cpus come with their multiplier unlocked.. Easy OCing.. and UnderCing..

Of course it will work, but is there a point in that?

An Athlon 1.4 Ghz w/200 Mhz FSB has an multiplier of 14, thus 12*100= 1400 (Mhz)
An Athlon 1.4Ghz w/266 Mhz FSB has an multipler of 10.5, thus 10.5*133= 1400

If you run the Athlon with 266 FSB on a motherboard that supports only a FSB of 200 Mhz, you get: 10.5*100=1050 Mhz

And no, most Athlons have their multipliers locked. Around 90% in fact. Of course it's easy to unlock with the pencil trick, but you will be voiding the warranty with that. Also your motherboard has to support manual multiplier changing, and Gigabyte motherboards don't support that.

Personally I would just get the correct chip and be done with it.

EddyB43

British Old Gamer
If that's a GA-7IXE4 motherboard, then yes, it definitely supports 1.4GHz 100MHz FSB Athlon's, I'm running one right now. Just make sure you get your BIOS updated to the latest version from their website, that's version F9.

Only problem I have is I have to underclock it to 14x95Mhz (1330GHz) since I think it's slight timing issues (the 100MHz dipswitch setting actually runs at 101Mhz, giving 1414MHz) are causing me problems in other tasks. They all disappeared when I did the underclock thankfully.

And as for the other way, well my machine was stable at 1.61GHz with my reasonable CPU fan and dual case fans. However it was obviously corrupting some things, as I was encoding some videos and getting corrupted MPEG blocks.