What's new

Kirby 64 won't save for me - help please?

Katdragon

Hi everyone
Hope I'm not posting this on the wrong board. I have read the rules and this seems like the best place for my question.

Anyway, I'm running Kirby 64 on this lovely emulator but I can't seem to save my games within the program. If I quit the game (by hitting F1, or F3), when it loads back up, it acts like I've hit Game Over. Which is pretty annoying since I was going so well with 5 lives etc.

I've tried hitting all of the buttons on my keyboard, including the F's to no avail.

Can someone help me please? I've got a microsoft keyboard with a number-pad on the right, which I'm using to control Kirby. The A and B buttons etc are controlled by c, x and s.

Thanks so much!
Kat

Last edited:

Another N00b

Well F1 is the reset key, which obviously resets/reloads the game.
The key for savestates is F5. In combination with the number keys from 0 to 9 you can use different savestates. For example you can save a 10h state on 1 and another 15h state on 2 etc. So to save you have to press a number key first (well, you don´t actually have to. If you don´t press a number the game will be saved on the number-independent default state). For loading savestates you simply have to press the number which you used for your savestate und then F7 (or only F7 if you haven´t chosen a number before).
Or just use savestates by selecting stuff in the menu, so you can save even if your keyboard/driver related stuff is buggy X_x
This is one of the basics imo, so it must be in the FAQs, which you should read if you want to know shuch things.

Last edited:
OP
K

Katdragon

Well F1 is the reset key, which obviously resets/reloads the game.
The key for savestates is F5. For loading savestates you simply have to press the number which you used for your savestate und then F7 (or only F7 if you haven´t chosen a number before).

Thanks for that, I'll try it and let you know how it goes.

Or just use savestates by selecting stuff in the menu, so you can save even if your keyboard/driver related stuff is buggy X_x

I can't actually figure out which key brings up the menu. I could only access the start part where it says "Game completed %015" which put me back at the 2 life thing.

This is one of the basics imo, so it must be in the FAQs, which you should read if you want to know shuch things.

I did read the FAQ but I must have missed the page where it said which key to press for savestates. It had stuff about the different kinds of savestates but not how to activate them iirc.

Thanks so much :)
Kat

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
By menu, Another N00b means the Project64 menu bar. Then one you see when you Star Project64 and which stays there unless you play fullscreen.

There are two ways to save your game: Either press F5 or select System --> Save/Save As... (give the state a name) or save in-game (i.e. the way it saving works when you play on the real console). IIRC, in Kirby64's case, it automatically tracks your progress depending on how many levels you've completed, hence the game saying that you've complete 015% when you reset/start the game.

It's preferable to use in-game saves, as savestates can be buggy and/or destroy your game if you happen to save when the when a bug happens or when you are using cheats, etc.

btw, you can stop playing by either pressing F12, choosing File --> End Emulation or simply by pressing ESC.

OP
K

Katdragon

AHA! System restore works in the Menu. Can't seem to find out how to save in-game without going back to the progress tracking which resets my lives down to two.

So thanks guys, it's working :)
Kat