What's new

gamepad problems

khaosmind

hi everyone, i just got a new generic gamepad, and i want to use with mupen64plus, but the problem is that the buttons work but the axis don't. it's a SDL problem, i am sure, I've tried with metal blob solid which is a SDL game too, and the buttons work and the axis don't. I have searched but i haven't found anything useful. only this link(people with the same problem).

the point is, i don't know where or who to ask. so if you have a clue, please tell me how to solve this. thanks

TD-Linux

Failed Homebrewer
What are the axis numbers? Try running your favorite joystick calibrator program (i.e. kde control panel or jscal or the windows one) and see what the axis numbers are.

Maybe this is a permissions problem or something... though probably just a bug in SDL.

shiny

Well, I had this problem too. Under ubuntu, I didn't have axes on one of my joypads (i have 2 other that work correctly). I dont know what exactly helped, but I tried various calibration apps, like kcontrol module and jscal (or what it's called), and at one point it magically started working. Didn't have any problems with it anymore (2 years and counting ;)).

PS. The very same joypad worked in windows with generic driver (aka "no driver") with no problems whatsoever. It had to be some kind of bug in ubuntu/sdl/whatever

PPS. If you keep having problems, than you can bypass them by using qjoypad, and maping axes to the keyboard keys (i.e. arrows). Somehow qjoypad is not affected by this bug. Apparently it doesn't use sdl :D

PPPS. If you need help with qjoypad I can provide you a sample layout file. Works great.

Last edited: