What's new

I wasn't aware of this....

Curious

Hi All,

Mantis has raised a really interesting point, at least to me.

Please see below:

"it's a strange phenomeon that for some pj64 user a certain part of the game is playable an unplayable for another one. The solution should be save state swapping." - Mantis

Is there any other evidence for this. And would establishing an Eeprom save state database be a good/ legal idea?

What you say moderators?

C.

:!!!:

Smiff

Emutalk Member
i don't think that's true, except in very rare cases where timing could be an issue.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
also there is no such thing as "Eeprom save state"s, there are EEPROM saves, and there are state saves, so you should be clear what you are talking about.

OP
C

Curious

From the sheer volume of response I feel this is seen as a great idea!

I am left in a dilemma as what to do.

Should I:

a) Load some EEPROM saves onto a new thread

or

b) Just forget I ever wrote this thread.

With the possible exception of a few the rest of this forum seem too concerned with their own small issues rather than seeing the big picture.

An EEPROM save databse would be a great idea, but unfortunately the majority atitude can not see this fact.

So be it.

I don't even know why I'm writing this thread - I'd might as well send a mail to myself for all the response I will get.

Forum...........Huh!

C.

Remote

Ode to you...

Boohoo, 179 people have looked at your thread
and most of them didn't even care to reply

Boohoo, you have come up with a great idea
and no one else seems to think it's a good one

Boohoo, you have an unfinished idéa...
EEPROM saves are propeitairy of the big N...

Boohoo, and hosting them would be illegal
and without a host and a website and EEPROM's

Boohoo, you have got nothing that could
interest people...

Boohoo, someone is writing bad poetry...

OP
C

Curious

No Accounting For Idiots

There is a digified way to respond to you and there is a base way to do so.

I choose the former, not out of respect to you, but simply because I have witnessed far too many worthless, childish threads of useless insults.

As a relative new to this forum, I have tired to suggest ways in which to , dare I say, help other people with there emulation issues. It is no secret that fixing DK64 is somewhat of an occupation with me.

However glancing through other threads I have seen issues which could have been resolved with EEPROM saves and believe it to be a way forward.

I suggest that the moderators come back to me with their comments as to whether yes or no EEPROMS may be loaded onto EMUTALK.

And in response directly to you Unremotely funny. May I suggest you keep your unhelpful comments to yourself.

In saying this I would welcome so constructive feedback from you as to how to resolve gameplay issues. On this subject to you have anything to say.

I await with baited breath your outdated insults.........

YAWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:sleepy:

OP
C

Curious

Interesting.....

Smiff said:
i don't think that's true, except in very rare cases where timing could be an issue.

;)

Interesting you should say this Smiff as DK64 has just this sort of problem:

To quote the FAQ:

"Why is the game not very smooth?
This game has unique timing problems which require an unusually high Counter Factor (ROM Settings) to avoid various problems. Therefore the updated RDB sets a CF of 4 - you can actually use a Counter Factor of 3 _most_ of the time - this will provide reasonably smooth video, and let most of the game run correctly, however, some parts of the game require a Counter Factor of 4 or higher to avoid errors - for these few occasions, you should change Counter Factor to 4, reset the ROM, play past the point from your last state save, make a new state save, put Counter Factor back to 3, reset the ROM, and load the new state save. If you don't understand or want to to do this, you must leave Counter Factor set to 4."

Could this timing problem explain why I am experiencing problems regarding the Boss Keys?

I have tried lower CFs of 3 and 2 but to no avail please advise.

C.

Remote

Your never before seen witness amuses me... My previous reply wasn't ment as an insult or a joke, your biggest problem seem to be that you don't realize that the approach you are suggesting doesn't do anything. Say for an example that game X works great on my computer in contrast to your computer where it has numerous issues, making it more or less unplayable. If i were to complete the game and save the neccesary information and then send it to you in form of a EEPROM you wouln't be able to do anything with it. And if it would get you a couple of hours further into the game you would still be experiating the same issues, due to your computer. A good approach to this would be to forget about EEPROM's and start thinking about save states, since they contain the neccesary information for i.e the boss key in Donkey Kong 64...

Perhaps someone else could elaborate on this, most people here don't take an interest in emulation because of the free games, if I want to play Donkey Kong flawless, or atleast the way it was intended by the developers to be played, I'll buy it...

Remote

And considering the size of the save states, 4-8MB, a large collection would cost a lot of money to maintain and keep online 24-7...

OP
C

Curious

Remote said:
A good approach to this would be to forget about EEPROM's and start thinking about save states, since they contain the neccesary information for i.e the boss key in Donkey Kong 64...

Thanks Remote. Well there's some progress. If a suggestion was made for a database of PJ64 save states would this be the way forward.

However is there not a saving problem in a number of ROMS when you use save states you encounter saving problems in the game? Also save states are a lot bigger than EEPROMS usually 2-3MB.

With EEPROMS if someone was able to soley unlock all areas get all keys it would be feasibly possible to finish the game I feel.

What you think?

C.

Oh P.S sorry I was a bit touchy no offense intented.

OP
C

Curious

Please Moderators

:innocent:

Could someone (The moderators) make a call on the Eeprom idea Please.

C.