What's new

Mod loading by memory pack file

jonathanshhn

I downloaded mods that in order for them to work i must add a memory pack file that came with the mod download to a 'save' folder in my project64 folder. Problem is my project64 didnt come with a 'save' folder. So i created a 'save' folder and added the memory pack file that came with the mod download inside it but the mods didnt load onto the game. Does anyone have any ideas how i can load these mods onto the game?

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
What's the extension of these mempak files? Then again, I'm not sure if you are talking about actual MemPak files or N64 native saves.

Last edited:
OP
J

jonathanshhn

Agozer, how do i find out the extension of the save files and give them to you? and yes i am talking about memory pack files. Also, would it be best for me and you to just instant message one another? It would be easier than this back and forth forum posting method. I dont know what instant messaging utilities you have but i have msn with my email address being [email protected] if you would like to add me.

OP
J

jonathanshhn

Agozer, ive worked out how to open my rom browser and right click a rom choosing 'rom information'. It makes a small table of details pop up. So which one is the internal header name? Is it the one called 'ROM name' or 'file name' or something else?

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
Please, EDIT your post, don't triple post.
The "ROM name" is the internal name IIRC so the save file should be called like the ROM name. And the save file isn't missing an extension, you only should disable "Hide extension of known filetypes" in the folders settings.

OP
J

jonathanshhn

Ok i tried your suggestions but i still have the problem of these memory pack files will not load the information onto the game. Im not sure what the file extensions are (but i did apply your suggestion of disabling "Hide extension of known filetypes" in the folders settings) but if they are the name of the file it is 'WWF No Mercy.mpk' and the Rom name is 'WWF No Mercy. So it looks like they match. The problem is i have no 'save' folder to place these memory pack files into, and even when i create a 'save' folder it doesnt work. Its like a 'save' folder didnt come with the project64 or there is a folder somewhere for picking up saved information which is hidden to me. Does anybody have any answers?

Allnatural

The save folder is generated at run-time, if it doesn't already exist. Start the emulator, load the game...there's your save folder, as well as a save file (which happens to be a flashRAM).

As for your problem; have you enabled mempak support in the input plugin? A lot of people miss that.

OP
J

jonathanshhn

Nah i tried starting the emulator and loading the rom but still no save folder appeared in the project64 folder. (Unless the save folder is located elsewhere). Also i have configured the input plug-in correctly (i have chosen memory pack in the configure controller plugin). Any other ideas?

Allnatural

Nah i tried starting the emulator and loading the rom but still no save folder appeared in the project64 folder. (Unless the save folder is located elsewhere).
The folder would normally appear in the PJ64 root folder, so it's possible that the location has been changed. Make sure $AppPath\Save\ is selected under the directories tab.

Allnatural

I assume then you can't save your progress with any game? I can only think of two more possibilities:

1. The PJ64 folder is write-protected
2. You have insufficient privilege with your Windows user account (just a shot in the dark with this one)

Beyond that I'm stumped.

OP
J

jonathanshhn

No i can save my progress during the game. The game saves fine. Insufficient privledge with windows user account? I dont understand that one.

Allnatural

No i can save my progress during the game. The game saves fine. Insufficient privledge with windows user account? I dont understand that one.
Ignore what I said. If you can still save your games, then your problem lies elsewhere.

So where is your save directory? If the game is being saved, then there has to be a save file somewhere. Search your computer for "WWF No Mercy.fla" Wherever that is, is where your mempak file needs to be.

p_025

Voted Least Likely to Succeed
Either that or use the program called FileMon to see where the emulator is saving to.

OP
J

jonathanshhn

This is interesting, i decided to remove project64 from my computer and download it again. This time when i started it and a rom, a save folder did appear in the project64 folder containing the "WWF No Mercy.fla" inside. However, my problem still remains. I placed the memory pack files into the save folder and they dont load onto the game. I dont understand what is going wrong.

OP
J

jonathanshhn

I have done that, it still doesnt load the information on the memory pack file though.

Last edited: