What's new

windows config. utility

Attreides

My OS is Windows Vista. I read in the troubleshotting manual of PJ 64 that disabling background processes in Windows will help optimize the performance of PJ 64. If I go to Windows Configuration Utility and click on the "Processes" tab, which programs can I safey disable to help optimize the performance of PJ 64?

Allnatural

That info is a bit outdated I think. Unless you have a specific app that's really bogging down your system (your entire system) I'd just leave well enough alone.

Another N00b

The ones you know, so you can tell which ones you don´t need. But I recommend not to touch them at all, instead post your system specs, maybe it´s your hardware that is not good enough (the idea is, if your running vista on old hardware, programms could run slow, since vista uses a fair amount of your ram/cpu and enen gpu, if you´r using the aero design.)

OP
A

Attreides

My specs are: P4 processor 3.2 GHz 512 MB DDR2 Ram (I know I need to get more ram)

If I switch from the Aero design to the "Windows Classic" theme, will that help any?

Another N00b

Yes, not toooo much though. As example, i have 2gb (ddr2)RAM, vista uses <30% of it in idle, that makes ~614 mb. By using the vista basis design/anything but aero, the RAM usage drops by <5%, that makes ~512 mb (which kinda makes me wonder how your pc can handle it ^^"). Also your gfx card/chip won´t have to bother doing the 3d interface/transparence stuff anymore.

So theoretically, this could help a little. Still, try to update you gfx drivers by downloading them from the official site of the company that developed your card/chip, since doing it with windows update sucks because of the driver versions they offer.... And you are right about the ram upgrade imo.

OP
A

Attreides

I'm not entirely sure what my current graphics chip is. I went into device manager and under "Display Adapters" it lists:

Intel 82945G Express Chipset Family

Is that my gfx chip?

OP
A

Attreides

OK, I think I found my graphics chip info...... I copy and pasted it below:

Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator Driver Report

Report Date: 08/11/2008
Report Time[hr:mm:ss]: 15:39:26
Driver Version: 7.14.10.1437
Operating System: Windows Vista (TM) Business* , Service Pack 1 (6.0.6001)
Default Language: English
DirectX* Version: 10.0
Physical Memory: 500 MB
Minimum Graphics Memory: 8 MB
Maximum Graphics Memory: 64 MB
Graphics Memory in Use: 34 MB
Processor: x86
Processor Speed: 3192 MHZ
Vendor ID: 8086
Device ID: 2772
Device Revision: 02

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
You don't do a whole lot with just 64MB of video memory, not to mention it being shared. There isn't much to optimize. Jabo's Direct3D6 is what you should be using.

I'm surprised Vista even runs with Intel chip.

Last edited:

p_025

Voted Least Likely to Succeed
The Intel chipset (in my laptop anyway) is designed to be DX10 compatible, and has a fair amount of memory. It's problem is sheer power, something which ALL Intel GFX chipsets (to my knowledge) are lacking. I'd assume it's the same story with his. I just do all my gaming on my desktop.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
Windows XP and Vista are designed with multitasking and prioritising in mind, unlike the old 9x OS's, so its not really required that you close all apps down.

By default XP and Vista set the most active app as the highest priority.