What's new

ALSA volume

wahrhaft

First of all, I would like to say many thanks to all of you who have been working on this project. I've been browsing this forum and keeping up with the updates off and on since about January, and it's been great to see what mupen64 has turned into thus far and where it is going.

I like the fact that I can use LIRC to change the volume, except that my ALSA and OSS volumes have never seemed to play nice together in any program I use. Yes, I know OSS is emulated thru ALSA, but on my machine they like to choose different controls to adjust volume.

Rather than mess with OSS (as the volume control in mupen64plus uses /dev/mixer), I decided I'd rather write my own ALSA support into the volume-changing code. In the process I plan to make it so you can set via config file which audio device to adjust the volume for, and maybe do something with saving the volume upon exit and restoring it next startup (my mythtv is quiet so I get blasted with sound when I start mupen64).

I am currently hacking this functionality together, using the latest svn as a starting point. If people think they would find this useful, I can share this as a patch once I finish.

Oh, and I anticipate having enough free time to work on other odds and ends such as this, at least for the next couple months. I'd be glad to help out in any way I can.

okaygo

Mupen64Plus Dev.
You could just modify the audio plugin and lower the volume of the actual raw data, this will result in a versitle patch that the devs. had talked about together a bit ago, nobody took on the job though.

OP
W

wahrhaft

It does make sense to keep all the audio stuff in the audio plugin, and it should make the code more portable as well.

Is jttl the only audio plugin that works anymore? If that's the case, does that mean there are no problems with adding the volume functions to the audio plugin api?

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
It does make sense to keep all the audio stuff in the audio plugin, and it should make the code more portable as well.

Is jttl the only audio plugin that works anymore? If that's the case, does that mean there are no problems with adding the volume functions to the audio plugin api?

As long as the API is still compatible, it's fine. I know it was done for input a while ago, even though somebody DID break it (Though on Windows Port 1.3 i was easily able to get it compatible again.)

Richard42

Emulator Developer

The mupen64_audio plugin has been removed from the project, so the jttl_audio plugin is the only one that you have to modify. Adding a configuration setting to choose your method of volume adjustment is a pretty good idea.

okaygo

Mupen64Plus Dev.
If you want to be brave, and write a GTK GUI for JTTL audio while you are at it, feel free to. Join us in IRC too.