What's new

"Trace/breakpoint trap" Crash

The J

This is an issue that I am having with Mupen64 Plus (64-bit build). It mainly occurs in Paper Mario, but I think that's because I've been playing this game far more frequently than others. If I find that this issue occurs in other games, I'll update this topic.

Anywho, I have trouble with the emulator crashing to the desktop at seemingly random times. Sometimes I can play for hours, other times the crash will happen only a few minutes into the game. If I run mupen64plus from the console, I will see the message "trace/breakpoint trap" appear when the emulator crashes. Searching Google has brought up nothing, so I thought I would come here to let people know about this issue and see if others are having trouble (or to see if this is a known issue).

The emulator crashes with the trace/breakpoint trap message at random times during gameplay, whenever I try to load a saved state, and whenever I try to go to the Port area of Toadtown. These problems seem to occur with both the Rice Video plugin and the Glide64 plugin (I normally use Glide64 since it seems to be the most accurate when rendering). I have not tried messing with the sound or RSP plugins.

If you have any ideas or need anymore info, please let me know.

Thanks for the help and for the excellent emulator,
The J

System Specs
-Mupen64Plus 1.4 64-bit build from the Google Code homepage
--this issue also occurred in version 1.3
--Plugins used (came with emulator):
---Glide64 Wonder Plus (also happens with Rice Video)
---JttL's SDL Audio 1.4
---blight's SDL input plugin 0.0.10
---Hackarux/Azimer hle rsp plugin
-Kubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04 64-bit
-Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2.2GHz
-4GB DDR2-800 RAM (2x2GB sticks)
-ATI Radeon HD3870 512MB
-Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
-Logitech Dual Action gamepad

Tillin9

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Thanks for the bug report. I tried out Paper Mario and ran into something similar. Basically a freeze occurs when trying to load a savestate to specific areas (like shooting star point) on 32-bit.

Richard42

Emulator Developer
Hello, thanks for reporting this bug. I tried to replicate this by playing paper mario with a 64-bit build, saving the state, and loading the saved states. My savestates all produced a crash (it's nice when the bug is easy to reproduce), and I traced it to a bug in the 64-bit dynarec. I fixed the bug in rev 748. Can you please build from the latest SVN and see if my fix resolved your problem? Thanks.

OP
T

The J

I'm actually heading on vacation for this week, but I'll be sure to test out the newest SVN version when I get back.

Edit: I very quickly tried loading an old save state and it now loads fine!

Last edited: