What's new

Internet Multiplayer?

Tillin9

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Its on the todo list, but currently not a priority. Netplay won't be in 1.4 (which should be coming soon) and probably not in 1.5 either. Sorry.

OP
O

orbitaldecay

No apologies necessary, I'm a programmer and I was considering tinkering with it myself, I was just wondering if anyone else already had the idea in the works. :bouncy:

Tillin9

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Well then, let me be the first to say welcome aboard. :) As far as dev. progress on netplay, Okaygo had been responsible for the Mupen64k netplay build using kaillera. Sadly he lost the source and open kaillera does not seem to have a bright future due to license issues with the new kaillera owner.

To that end, it was suggested we pick another cross-platform netplay library. I wasn't aware of any, but Slougi knew of a few and gave me some links in IRC. Since I'm not a networking expert, nor really in a position to test which was better, I decided to focus my efforts elsewhere.

I'd suggest you help with the porting efforts since if we have a single codebase building and working (to some degree) on all three major platforms (Linux, Win32, and OSX) we'd be in a better situation to evaluate and implement netplay.

OP
O

orbitaldecay

Yes, I've been looking over the source from the svn and I was thinking SDL_net might be a nice choice being as that mupen already uses SDL for input and video

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
To be honest, SDL_Net is actually a pretty bad networking library - Using Win32 and POSIX sockets seperately may be better, because they are very alike. Nonetheless, SDL_Net does have everything we need (I think) so it can be done.

OP
O

orbitaldecay

Yeah, win32 and posix sockets aren't difficult to port between either, the function names are mostly the same. What issues with SDL_net have you experienced and/or heard of?

Tillin9

Mupen64Plus Dev.
The only objection I have towards SDL_net is its low-level, but so is posix sockets (and win32 is basically the same since MS took that from BSD). I actally think SDL_net is a good cross-platform library as that's what Blizzard uses.

However, ideally we wouldn't have to re-invent the wheel and could use a higher level library that could handle some of the synchronization issues with actual gameplay and some of the lobby functions necessary to find and initiate multiplayer itself.

okaygo

Mupen64Plus Dev.
I can help with the multiplayer aspect ;)

Things to remember:

Key data must be sent everytime there is an interrupt to query keydata.

Other than that, the games should sync.

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
The only objection I have towards SDL_net is its low-level, but so is posix sockets (and win32 is basically the same since MS took that from BSD). I actally think SDL_net is a good cross-platform library as that's what Blizzard uses.
Wow, I didn't know that.
SDL_Net is OK, but compared to the native libraries it lacks a lot.

However, ideally we wouldn't have to re-invent the wheel and could use a higher level library that could handle some of the synchronization issues with actual gameplay and some of the lobby functions necessary to find and initiate multiplayer itself.
Well, if we want it to be as optimal as possible, no. Since for this type of netplay not much can be done for optimization, using another networking library with a crapload of functions for syncing sprites and other things would be useless, and maybe even limit our ability to minimize bandwidth.

That said, most optimization techniques i can think of are at a higher level than the packets themselves, like buffering input + zlib.

X-Fi6

Actually theres one for project64 its called Project64k
Yeah everyone knows that...

There is even "Mupen64k" which is basically the old version of Mupen64 that has Kaillera support in it. But it's not being worked on anymore AFAIK and it's from a different guy than the Mupen64Plus team. And again it's only the old version of Mupen64.

okaygo

Mupen64Plus Dev.
No, I am the same guy who made Mupen64K, and Mupen64++ (Not Mupen64Plus, Windows only) And am also a developer for Mupen64Plus

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Yes, he is the same person. (I know you edit Wikipedia so don't change the Mupen64 article which maintains that this is the same person. I'm more worried that you already did than you will after reading this, but I'm just way too busy and lazy to check right now.)

okaygo

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Civilian, Kaillera is god awful... we are writing something more flexable for n64. But great job on getting a linux port for KDE...

civilian0746

evil god
It's not a KDE port but thanks for the attempted compliment. Kaillera is indeed limited. I'm also working towards a replacement in my spare time. Being a full time student sucks.

Last edited:

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
KDE looks cool but not that cool ;)
That's a nice looking GUI. Did you write it yourself?

civilian0746

evil god
Totally dood. My own widgets...my own windoing system... my own version of X...my own version of distro...everything was coded from scratch... also my own designed hardware...even the cpus used on the computers the package was developed in were made on my handmade microchip factory...

No I'm not that retarded. That cute little windowing system is part of a package called juce. It was the smallest and the best looking one among all the ones I've tried. Those windows and everything look identical in windows and mac as well. I should really be thanking juce... I didn't port that client to linux for the longest time because of the gui ambiguity stuff.