What's new

Who wants to help with a osx port?

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
I just got myself a mac mini ::)

There is a slight problem though...................Unless your willing to pay 10 euros to make sixtyforce usable (ie savestates etc) then your pretty much out of luck if you want to emulate the n64 on a new mac mini.

So who else wants to help me port mupen64 plus to osx?

I don't have time to do it all myself but if a few of us got together it would be possible.

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Mupen64Plus will probably not make it to the PPC platform, but I don't know exactly. More luck with Intel Macs.

I'm running an Intel Mini with Leopard so am willing to help, but I've no experience in programing so would only really be able to help in the testing of it.

Although I can do you some nice graphics for it if that helps.

OP
Danny

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
Forgot to clarify.

I am only planning on a port to macs that are using intel processors.

Nevexst

Mupen64Plus Groupie
Is there any chance of a Universal build?

I'm in a similar predicament with Zion. 'cept I have a Powerbook G4 with plenty of life left in it. So any love thrown our way would be overwhelmingly appreciated.

Last edited:

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Very unlikely due to large amounts of byteswapping and assembly code issues we'll run into. You'll need a powerful CPU to run the emulation without a native recompiler, also.

DarkJezter

Funny story on this, I just got my hands on an old G4 (it's slow but functional) that is PPC based. I've put OSX on it for the sole purpose of trying to set up a native osx port, I haven't yet got ANY experience with Xcode, so I'll be learning as I go along.

Hopefully the differences between intel and ppc shouldn't prevent us from collaborating on this :)

okaygo

Mupen64Plus Dev.
It would be a good idea if you all got onto IRC, irc.freenode.net #mupen64plus

Lots of people there to collaborate with.

lifning

There exists a project to port Mupen64 to the Nintendo Gamecube/Wii (similar platforms, both use PowerPC). Perhaps you could borrow their dynarec (if they have one yet) =)

OP
Danny

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
Just to anyone that wants in on this, progress will more than likley be slow. Due to a few things :

1) I work 5 days a week.
2) I am just getting used to osx, been a windows user my whole life.

I believe I have the programming skills needed, i don't claim to be a whizz mind :p Just the few things above that are going to make this take a while, that is unless a few people team up with me (which i hope will be the case)

Auria

Well I would be interested. Main problem is I currently don't have an intel mac :p though I guess the initial problem will be getting it to compile, most likely by fixing the makefile.

I gave it a try not so long ago. The issue I ran into is that it seemed to use quite a few uncommon linker commands (and while the OS X compiler is almost exactly the sam as on linux, the linker is not)
I was having trouble understanding what these link flags were doing (haven't searched much though) I generally suspect it could be something like weak linking - can a dev confirm?

But on a deeper issue : if mupen is going multi-platform, I have a general feeling a bare makefile is not a strong enough build system ( well I generally think it is not even for very small projects but that's another issue and i don't want to start a flamewar ;) )

DarkJezter

There exists a project to port Mupen64 to the Nintendo Gamecube/Wii (similar platforms, both use PowerPC). Perhaps you could borrow their dynarec (if they have one yet) =)

:eek: it appears they DO have a ppc recompiler written! Although, it looks like they took a very different approach from the ones used in x86 (both 32 and 64 bit) recompilers.

I can't wait to play around with this... possible feature add to the trunk? ;)

Adding PowerPC support is quite difficult isn't it? It's not something I'm interested in but I'm sure there are a few out there who are. Is there anything I can help with at all? I'm no programmer but there must be something I can do, maybe design the GUI? I can certainly make you some pretty icons.

/feel useless.

Slougi

Adding PowerPC support is quite difficult isn't it? It's not something I'm interested in but I'm sure there are a few out there who are. Is there anything I can help with at all? I'm no programmer but there must be something I can do, maybe design the GUI? I can certainly make you some pretty icons.

/feel useless.

One thing that is currently missing (on all platforms mind you) is a nice application icon. Also, the flags that we have for the different countries aren't as nice as they could be. Certainly not useless at all if you want to help with that.

On that note, i've been toying with the idea of an os x port myself. I can get a macbook from work to do the port. Unfortunately i'm pretty busy until the end of july. So it would be a while before i start on anything like that.

Ok, what sort of resolution do we need, I'm assuming a multiple of 32 pixels.

It would probably be easier to install osx86 if you want to play with osx, kalyway does a pretty good install for intel based PC systems, I'm sure you know where to look :D