What's new

translate mupen64plus

khaosmind

hi. since you have helped me and are working hard on this emulator i would like to make my tiny contribution. i want to fully translate mupen64plus.

the .lang file is completely translated into spanish but some things like "misc. GUI setting" are not.(and the cheats menu and the plugins)
the problem is that i dont know from where i must make the translation. Usually i just grab the english file, copy the variables and make the changes. But the file is empty!

so, could you point me into the right direction? which file i must modify?

ebenblues

Mupen64Plus Dev.
hi. since you have helped me and are working hard on this emulator i would like to make my tiny contribution. i want to fully translate mupen64plus.
Thank you, this would be a great contribution. The current translation system is kind of a homebrew solution. I'll work on getting you a file of all current text that needs translating. We've added a lot of new text so translations would be much appreciated.

OP
K

khaosmind

Thank you, this would be a great contribution. The current translation system is kind of a homebrew solution. I'll work on getting you a file of all current text that needs translating. We've added a lot of new text so translations would be much appreciated.

i will wait until you are ready. Thanks

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Some of the old translation stuff could probably be used. Should we try looking at other emulators translations too?

Tillin9

Mupen64Plus Dev.
GNU Gettext (i.e. the .po files) is the fairly standard way to do translations, at least in the *NIX camp. Both KDE, Gnome, and a wide variety of non-Gtk / KDE3 programs use these methods for translation.

However as the GUI has yet to stabilize, I'd wait for translation until the cheat, debugger, and possibly extended ROMbrowser GUIs are more finalized. Sadly a good portion of the GUI is not written properly for translation in the first place. I've tried to correct the instances I found, but I haven't done a comprehensive search.

Last edited:

ebenblues

Mupen64Plus Dev.
However as the GUI has yet to stabilize, I'd wait for translation until the cheat, debugger, and possibly extended ROMbrowser GUIs are more finalized. Sadly a good portion of the GUI is not written properly for translation in the first place. I've tried to correct the instances I found, but I haven't done a comprehensive search.
If you use gettext, you don't have to wait for every string to be properly written for translation. You can run xgettext at any time on the source to update the .po files and extract new strings that need to be translated. We could make this a scripted thing possibly. I'm going to create a branch to work on this.

Tillin9

Mupen64Plus Dev.
I'm fairly sure all the strings need to be setup to be translated, in the sense that they need wrapping in a tr() or i18n(). Right now some strings are hardcoded in English, or at least I found some that were.

Yes, as the GUI develops, it is possible to script translation and double check as we go and if there is enough interest and people to help, that's fine.

ebenblues

Mupen64Plus Dev.
I'm still working on converting mupen64plus to use gettext, but for now, I uploaded the Spanish .po file to the downloads section on the google code site so you can get started translating:

http://mupen64plus.googlecode.com/files/es.po

I populated the file with all the current translations, so you can use those as examples to fill in the messages that don't have translations. Thanks for your contribution!

DarkJezter

I believe that we're still deciding what to do with the plugins. I know there has been some talk about writing kde4 guis for them, and they may be re-written to support gettext as well.

Not sure if this is what's going to happen, or when it will happen. We may even come up with a different way for changing the plugin settings

ebenblues

Mupen64Plus Dev.
I believe that we're still deciding what to do with the plugins. I know there has been some talk about writing kde4 guis for them, and they may be re-written to support gettext as well.
Thanks so much for the translations khaosmind. I don't think how we plan to structure the gui code for the plugins should stop us from translating the strings. I'll see what I can do about getting a .po file together that includes strings from the plugins as well. Thanks again for your work!