What's new

C++ for Dummies [please read]

Glize

I saw a the book "C++ for Dummies" on CompUSA for $24.99. Is this a good book to start learning how to program in C/C++?

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
yes it is, i have friends that have started to program by reading the dummie book but don't expect to be able to program snything to huge after reading it. AFAIK the book is just a primer, it gets you used to the very basics of the language.

Remote

Personally I wouldn't recomend books from the Dummies series to anyone but if you want it - buy it, it isn't bad but it isn't great either. When I started programming I bought the C for Dummies Volume 1 and 2 for a very reasonble price, they are good books which cover a lot of ground, and picked up the C language first. Then when I felt comfortble with C i stepped up to C++ and objectialization. OOP can be a lot to grasp if you have never programmed before and since most code floating around the net is C, it won't hurt to know it... A little tip, stay away from the Teach yourself X in 24 hours, 12 days, 24 days, 3 weeks and soforth... It usually takes a lot longer then that...:D

mesman00

What's that...?
it takes a hell of alot longer than that. i started with a teach yourself c++ book in 24 days. it was a great book, but boy did it take much longer than 24 days, and i never actually finished the last few chapters!

Jsr

I think only the bigger books are something to read.
I also read a teach yourself C++ in 24 days, and yes, it took longer than 24 days, but I read it to the end. I have looked to the smaller books too, but they are too small for the C++ language. I recommend something bigger if you want to learn it.

drugstore

theirs no need to get that book, cuz you can get it for free from the net... if your interested just reply back and ill give you the URL. the only bad part is that its kind of old probably from 98. Its not from the Dummie series but better- Sams Publishing Learn C++ in 21 days.

OP
G

Glize

Thanks drugstore.

Ill be back in 21 days with the most complete Dreamcast emulator. Dream!ON! ;)

drugstore

well who said you can make an emulator in 21 days? no one, so beat it...

if you want to get more of these books go to
www.bruceeckel.com , that site has books for java, c++, and others, just download them.

sk8bloke22

roll for life
i found a real easy one for vb. its probably too basic for most, but im a very simple person, and so the guide suits me well. ive been going through the exercises and shit, and the learning process is pretty easy so far.

anyhow, heres a screenie from my new emulatore that took 3.5mins to creatorz, as u can see sk8bloke22's emu is stil under way progressd, buut sk8bloke22 has Majoras Mask playing perfect, no errorz...sk8bloke22 plans to convert emu to xbox, yeppee...

mesman00

What's that...?
haha, i made a fake emu once in vb when i was really bored, too badd it only took like 5 minutes. but, with my emu, you were able to open files that seemed to be roms, but were really jpegs, so it would load a jpeg file. it was gee.