What's new

Legacy Free mobo!!! ^_^

Slougi

Old news. www.overclockers.com reported about it a long time ago.
Imo it's foolish. I still need my serial port to connect my calculator to it, ps2 for mouse/keyboard. Think about companies that upgrade only to find they need new keyboards/mouses as well. Also the parallel and serial ports are used frequentöly for stuff u built urself, USB stuff needs controller chips etc, which means that for example building your own temp gauge will become very expensive.

OP
blizz

blizz

meh! it's aimed at new PC's for the home market

imo I'm glad they're getting rid of serial, parallel and PS/2 ports, USB is a nicer system

Slougi

Try using a USB printer, scanner, mouse keyboard and joystick at the same time and see what happens. I am completely satisfied with all my legacy ports.

EdgeBlade

Brandonn
Plug just a mouse into the USB and then let the mouse set still for abit. When you first start to move it it will stay still for a second. I know, a short time, but it still bugs me.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
PS2 has a higher polling rate than USB (200Hz max Vs. 120Hz fixed) so I would never buy a motherboard w/o PS2 ports if I could possibly help it (accuracy in CounterStrike etc.).

yeah but very few rodents get anywhere near 120Hz... so the choice is really not one that needs to be made... i dont think its worth overloading usb just yet... but when usb2.0 is around then MAYBE it would be a useful alternative to some of the legacy stuff, that said, tho i like having a usb mousey.. when all goes to smeg i keep a mouse in the ps2 port so i still have control

so its a difficult question, for joe consumer going all usb could be quite a good thing

Slougi

Not really. Look at the latest VIA chipsets, particularly KT266/KT300, which all seemed to have ad USB implementation. It's fixed now with bios updates, but if we are to use USB for everything it has to be easier to use than the old ports, and also more reliable.

for the most part usb is, its just they tend to need good drivers, wheras operating systems have had legacy drivers as standard for as long as i can remember