What's new

Problem with Kaspersky internet security and Project64

Jed

After installation of KIS 7.0, Project64 won't start any game.
"Failed to allocate memory" error.
When I uninstall KIS 7.0 everything works fine.
What settings I have to use with KIS because anything doesn't work except complete uninstall.

snexs

i dont have KIS.
but i think, the firewall is the problem.
try to add project64 to the list of the "good programs".

GamerAeon

NIS and KIS are NOTORIOUS for denying lots of Emulation programs and some pc game .exes

There's a workaround most likely somewhere, Where I do not know but I personally use a different security suite that doesn't deny anything I don't TELL it specifically to deny:borg:

wkbtz

I'm having the same problem. I've got KIS 7.0.1.325 and get the error when opening a ROM in Project 64 1.7.0.46 and 1.7.0.49 (betas). I also have P64 v1.6 which runs fine. As mentioned uninstalling KIS will make them work without the error, but as soon as you reinstall, they stop working. As for creating exceptions, I've tried adding both programs to the "Threats and Exclusions" trusted zone with all properties enabled but the error persists. I've also tried adding a firewall filtration rule which didn't work either. If anyone finds a solution or knows why this happens, please post it here

EDIT: Strange... Ran the exact same rom, in the same emulator with the same settings, same KIS version that had the same set... - you get the idea - in Vista and no problems whatsoever (was using XP Pro). Not the simplest "solution" though.

Last edited:

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
I personally would just ditch KIS. There are plenty of better alternatives out there anyway, with the majority of them being freeware.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
KIS is perfectly fine, and infact, it is voted oneo f the top security packages on a number of occasions.

The problem only started occuring in KIS 7.0.1.325, and is caused by the Antidialer component locking the 0x3000000 memory range, there are 2 ways to fix this.

1. Disable the anti dialer component.
2. replace the file with an older version.

After installation of KIS 7.0, Project64 won't start any game.
"Failed to allocate memory" error.
When I uninstall KIS 7.0 everything works fine.
What settings I have to use with KIS because anything doesn't work except complete uninstall.

This problem is not present on 1.6, so that must mean you have 1.7, if you are legit, there are forums available to you on the main site, if you have it without the authors consent, then you can Sod off.

wkbtz

Yeah - Kaspersky has one of the best AV solutions out there and the firewall's pretty decent too.
I've managed to solve my problem thanks to squall_leonhart. BTW I wouldn't recommend using an older KIS version because the firewall in some versions had a pretty serious vulnerability to do with hooked SSDTs. Don't know what they are, just avoid any pre-v7.0.1.325 KISs.

EDIT: lol - skip all this and just read the next post. :doh: Thanks again squall_leonhart. The security vulnerability in KIS is present in KIS6 and possibly early versions of KIS7, but there are update patches for most of these. I'm pretty sure v7.0.0.121 is OK but there are links on this page if you'd like more info:
http://www.matousec.com/info/adviso...ument-validation-of-hooked-SSDT-functions.php
However, I think it's quicker to rename the dll (temporarily turn off self-defense first) and this way you'll still have the latest build.

SOLUTION:
"Disable the anti dialer component."
You can try unchecking the anti-dialer under Privacy Control and maybe rebooting but this didn't work for me. What I did was under KIS's Start Menu folder, go to Modify, Repair or Remove and choose Modify. Under KIS 7 --> Protection Components click on Privacy Control and select Entire Feature will be unavailable. Click on Next, finish the reinstallation and reboot.
Your settings, updates etc will still be there but the Anti-phishing, Anti-dialer (of course) and whatever the password vault protector thing was called won't be available. Privacy Control's not all that useful if you have IE7 + broadband anyway and you can easily find a standalone password protector/filter/vault thing. You can undo this modification at any time via Modify, Repair or Remove.

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
it was more simple to just rename the adialhk.dll in the kaspersky folder :p

going back to 7.0.0.121 also would've worked since its not present in that version.