What's new

Can Anyone Create a Nintendo64 Music Format Like SPC?

Burp

I don´t know too much about emulation, but... can anyone create a N64 music file like SNES SPC? i think is posible, the guys of ZSNES create the SPC files using the ZST state save, maybe with a PJ64 state save is can make posible...

Is just a idea... is too hard to create it?

neoak

Triforce of Something...
Is not as easy in the N64. Mainly because there are games with special compression and others with Standart (Nintendo Specs) compression.

It would take time to make it... but is possible

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
It all depends on the hardware of the system. It worked on the SNES, because the SNES sound chip had its own seperate memory and actually ran a sound program inside it. An SPC file is a copy of the sound chip memory containing that program.

OP
B

Burp

Ohh... so, it´s more hard that i think, but (for The Kahn Artist) are you sure that the sound code is not dumped on a State Save data file? well ^^U i don´t know too much about emulation

Smiff

Emutalk Member
impossible, n64 no sound chip, could extract samples, not synth stuff, best bet is complete emu w/ logging

OP
B

Burp

Ummm... but, there´s a chance creating a program or DLL for Winamp for emulating the Sound Chip and this read the music file?

OP
B

Burp

Yeah, i know that ^^U but i say that for do something like N64Amp or something :p

Smiff

Emutalk Member
heeelllooo, read my last post. Yes there is a software n64 synth available for the PC, it's called RSP.dll in your Project64 folder... all you need is something to feed it the data... ;) i find Project64.exe and the appropriate ROM to work quite well ;)

Azimer

Emulator Developer
Actually Smiff, a lot of the music playing is done on the R4300. The music file format is similar to midi. It appears on the N64 compressed and uses vADPCM samples for instruments. It's quite cool the quality of music acheived using this wave synth. It's completely possible to make an N64 music file format -=IF=- someone could extract the music/samples, decompress them, and make a wave synth to play the music back. Perhaps ppl can concentrate on this rather then making more graphics dlls. *cough* :) I know I would love to see it happen.

CpU MasteR

omg h4x
Azimer said:
a lot of the music playing is done on the R4300. The music file format is similar to midi.

Like the YM2612 on the Sega Genesis? Because they are logged as GYM file & then converted as a MID File...

Smiff

Emutalk Member
yeah but "if someone could extract the music/samples" brings us back to square one - ? also by using the R4k are you talking about games that really use the R4k a la Ms. PacMan or all games that use both the R4k and RSP at once? i dunno if HLE can help here or not - can you mark the boundaries of a song, seperate BGM from effects, etc.? What is it people are trying to do - play the songs straight out of the ROM? or have a smaller format for passing music files around (e.g. than MP3)? or 100% accurate sound?

Azimer

Emulator Developer
I believe you could do this in the RSP... I am not entirely sure though. :-/ It would seem pretty tough IMO to seperate SFX from music... but with a little research, I am sure it could be done. I do know the R4K does stuff before it sends it off to the RSP.

OP
B

Burp

Thx for the comments ^^

Well, i know how the GYM files works (with a logger file) and well, is a cool format and works good... but what´s is R4K? i know what the RSP can do but no more