What's new

Project64 1.6:Kaspersky reports a Keylogger

Keki

Hi,

I'm sorry about my english. I'm not an english native speaker but I hope you will understand me anyway.

My problem: is there a Keylogger in project64.exe?

At the moment I'm using Project 64 1.6.
A few days ago I changed my Antivirus software. Now I am using a 30-Days-Trial of Kaspersky. This evening I decided to use Project 64. I didn't use it since a few weeks.
I started the programm and then I started a game (a game which I used a few weeks ago without problems or virus alarm). Suddenly Kaspersky said, there would be a Keylogger in Project64.exe.
I unistalled my Project 64 and got a new Version (1.6 again) from http://www.pj64-emu.com, because this is (I think) the original site.
I scanned the new "setup project64.exe" with Kaspersky: nothing.
I installed it.
Again I scanned the new Project 64 folder with Kaspersky: nothing.
I started a game. But now the same as before: Kaspersky said: Keylogger in Project64.exe

My Question: is this possible or a fake alarm?
(I confess: I don't know exactly what's a Keylogger but wikipedia said, it's nothing good *g*)

Before the Kaspersky Trial I used Avira Antivir. Antivir never complained about Project64.exe.

I would be very grateful to get some help or advice...

Bye!
Keki

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
A false positive. Certain programs and installers use bits of similar code to that of keyloggers, downloaders and certain trojans. Antivirus programs usually detect viruses by analyzing the underlying program code for certain patterns, so you get false positives in programs that do not have any viruses at all. It happens all the time.

Last edited:
OP
K

Keki

Thank you! I hoped it would be a false positive. Kaspersky seems to have a problem with Project 64...

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Thank you! I hoped it would be a false positive. Kaspersky seems to have a problem with Project 64...
Kapersky isn't alone with its false positives either. BitDefender is also notorious for detecting false positives, although frequent updates to the virus definitions seem to mitigate the problem. The biggest problem with BitDefender is that said program hardlocks executables that it has detected having a virus. :/

OP
K

Keki

Since I changed from Avira Antivir to Kaspersky I got a lot of reports and a lot of them are definitly wrong, because it reports ad-aware, spybot, and, as it seems, project 64, always want to scan my internet-connection... I'm not really sure at the moment if I want to use Kaspersky after the trial or not - it seems a lot of work. I need to check everything it reports very closely and if I prohibit the wrong action a programm could stop working I don't want to stop.
But the most important thing at the moment is: I can carry on with Zelda :bouncy:

mudlord

Banned
Its a false positive due to ASPack being used on the PJ64 executable and plugins to encrypt them....

smcd

You can help kapersky with this by writing to them complaining/verifying that pj64 is not a "bad" program and that it is getting flagged as one incorrectly :) There is also a program capable of unpacking aspack files easily "qunpack" might help too... works on the plugin dlls but not the main project64.exe, but aspackdie has a version that can unpack it (aspack v 2.11 was used for the exe) If this is against the wishes of the authors of project 64, sorry that was not my intention! please edit my post :)

Last edited: