What's new

3dfx & some games

Torquemada

Ok I'm relatively new to these emulators so..

Running win2k, amd xp 1700+, no audio and using voodoo 3 3000. When I try and run Turok 1 or 3 it loads up with a black screen and just stays that way.

I've tried messing a bit with counter factors etc but this did not change anything. So are there any other 3dfx owners who have got these games running and if so, what settings?

Also in Zelda 1, in the marketplace of the castle, the background is all red...turning force normal blending lets you see the geometry but still the colours are missing...is this because bitmaps are used here? (I've noticed bitmaps dont display at the start in houses.) If so, is this card specific or is it Javo's plugin that doesn't support this?

Thanx. :blush:

OP
T

Torquemada

Btw, not looking for alot of replies starting...."bahahah 3dfx owner...", if I had the cash I would buy a new graphics card. :p

CpU MasteR

omg h4x
Torquemada said:
Btw, not looking for alot of replies starting...."bahahah 3dfx owner...", if I had the cash I would buy a new graphics card. :p

BUZZZZ! WRONG!
Click Here 3DFX User
Use Glide64, It is for Voodoos, but it is WIP (Work in Progress), So you might wanna wait awhile until turok is supported :p

Ogy

3Dfx Fanatic.
turok 1 & 3 are alreay supported in the next release, which will come out soon.

Lex

Torquemada said:

What is so bad about 3dfx???

tell daddy if you can :angry:

i'm a 3dfx user too:p

OP
T

Torquemada

Personally I love 3dfx, dunno why everyone says its so bad...it had far better compatibility with games over the tnt cards when they were both launched. But the card is showing its age and from what I can tell the graphics plugin's rely on features that only the newer cards have.

Still, this does not really answer my original question. Anyone got t1 or t3 working on a v3? (glide64 is..well...its not in the same league as Jabo's plugin yet)

sk8bloke22

roll for life
wait till the next version comes out. u only need to look at the thread in the screenshot forum and the screenies in the thread on the emu coding forum to see that this is true. this plugin is progressing faster than a proshe carrera on an empty highway.

sk8bloke22

roll for life
not really if u wanna play new games that thrive on dx7/8 + features. but as a general card that is different from the current choice, it compares to a geforce2 gts in terms of raw speed, but with much much better anti-analaising and glide support.

Dreadbane

I use a voodoo5, and I have to say that it is quite nice. I would have to say id like to get a new geforc3 or better, but I just dont have the cashola. Currently the voodoo 5 is still quite good, and there is decent 3rd party driver support, but whether or not the card will have much longer life is uncertain. Currently I would have to say Im only about 80% happy with the current crop of 3rd party drivers, but then again, they are 3rd party and will most likely get very good. The biggest matter is price, if your getting one for like 80 bucks or something, then yeah good deal. but if its say 130+ then id just go on pricewatch and find a geforce 3 ti200.

As for performance with glide, my experiences have been mixed....however my card performs quite well with jabos d3d plugins....

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
I've seen V5 5500's going for around $60 on eBay... if my motherboard supported AGP, I'd get one. :p

BTW, I've heard that 3Dfx had a special FSAA method which looked much better than any other card's FSAA. Is that true?

Reznor007

3dfx had the best FSAA...and in a way, it's quality is still the best, just the speed suffers. Radeon8500 is the top for FSAA right now with regards to speed+quality.

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
Actually, I think the new Geforce 4 ti's have about as good FSAA as Radeons now and their performance is top notch.. But the quality of the FSAA is still a smidgen below the voodoo 5 4xFSAA..

Hexlord

To be honest, Jabo's latest D3D plugin allows my Voodoo5 card to display some games real well..

Just that there seem to be more sudden switch to messy gfx once in a while.. why is that? :plain:

Stezo2k

S-2K
probably cus most new DX stuff isnt really for 3DFX based cards. Ur better off with that glide plugin m8

Stez