What's new

Mupen64-amd64 and RiceVideoLinux v1.1 is here

Richard42

Emulator Developer
A month after 1.0, we've accumulated enough fixes to make another release, so here is v1.1. I've attached zips for both 32-bit and 64-bit binaries and individual source packages for RiceVideoLinux and Mupen64-amd64.

Some of the more notable fixes are:

Mupen64-amd64:
- GTK GUI: new icons, reworked config dialog, fixed bugs in ROM directory list
- Blight input config dialog: many bugfixes
- Bugfix: segfaults from failed fwrite() calls, added more error logging
- Bugfix: segfault from playing same game twice in a row from GUI
- Bugfix: exit properly instead of segfault after stopping game

RiceVideoLinux:
- Hi-res textures now work!
- Added capability to load 24-bit PNG files into 32-bit texture buffer
- Added more error logging to hi-res texture code
- Bugfix: SSE vertex lighting inline ASM code was incorrect
- Bugfix: Eliminate gaps between textures in Puyo Puyo 4 and other games
- Bugfix: opengl error in ApplyTextureFilter
- Bugfix: fix texturing problem with some Intel graphics adapters

Try it out and report problems here in this thread.

sultanoswing

Brilliant! Just as I'm starting to play around with N64 and PSX emulation again (this time on linux instead of windows), these lovely releases start appearing!

Thanks again & keep up the good work!

(feedback +/- bug reports to follow)

EDIT: Yay! The exit -> crash bug is fixed & I haven't had a full screen lockup so far! One small issues, the Blight input plugin didn't work for me out of the box, and only worked when I copied blight and its .ini from my 0.5 install.

Last edited:

mudlord

Banned
Nice job! When my new dev system is up and running (should be a couple of days), I'll see about adding your fixes to the Windows Rice Video OpenGL renderer so that Windows folks can enjoy your OpenGL fixes. :)

OP
R

Richard42

Emulator Developer
Yay! The exit -> crash bug is fixed & I haven't had a full screen lockup so far! One small issues, the Blight input plugin didn't work for me out of the box, and only worked when I copied blight and its .ini from my 0.5 install.

What kind of problems did you have with the Blight input plugin? Probably the default setup doesn't match your own, so you would have needed to either configure your input through the config dialog or copy your previous .ini file. If you had problems configuring the plugin to your devices with the config dialog, then please give details about the specific problems that you had, because this should be working much better now than before.

TwistedWhizz

Excellent! Thanks to all for your continued hard work on this. I'll make sure I pass this among my friends.

OK, so far the only problem I've encountered is with RiceVideo. When selecting full screen mode it shakes and flickers and is generally unplayable. However it seems to be OK when leaving it windowed. I'm using the 32bit version with a simple GeForce FX5600XT, and I'm selecting the same settings as I would if I used the older Mupen64. I have an AMD Sempron 2200+ processor. I've listed my specs before but thought it worth stating them again to assist. There doesn't seem to be any error readout when using the terminal to start Mupen64.

Hope this is helpful. If I've done something wrong please let me know. Many thanks.

:mupen64:

EDIT: Sorry, should have mentioned this is when playing Super Mario 64.

Last edited:

sultanoswing

What kind of problems did you have with the Blight input plugin? Probably the default setup doesn't match your own, so you would have needed to either configure your input through the config dialog or copy your previous .ini file. If you had problems configuring the plugin to your devices with the config dialog, then please give details about the specific problems that you had, because this should be working much better now than before.

Oh, sorry, should have been more specific.

Despite the presence of blight_input.so in the plugins folder and the blight_input.ini as they came directly extracted from the archive, the only input plug in selectable was the Mupen64 Basic one. Was fixed, somehow, by copying the blight_input.so and my ini from my working 0.5 folder. This only required a couple of minor button reassignments to get everything working fine.

The actual plugin is running just great (once selected!).

Surkow

@sultanoswing - this means you are not using the latest version of the blight input plugin. So the problem is still there.

sultanoswing

@sultanoswing - this means you are not using the latest version of the blight input plugin. So the problem is still there.

Indeed. But I have just retried extracting the blight_input.conf and blight_input.so from the 1.1 archive...and then blight is no longer selectable as an input plugin - but IS when I use the two files from the 0.5 release. It may be the older version of blight, but at least it shows up as a selectable input plugin!

Last edited:

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Well, i just tried to run blight from this precompiled package. It worked for me, after installing SDL_ttf for 32bit (But i have to mention that it only wasn't installed already because i'm on a 64bit machine.)

If a plugin fails to load, almost always there will be output on the terminal. Have you tried using the terminal to launch Mupen64? You should see some sort of error other than the assertion at the beggining (I should look into that though)

Anyways, I got a Linux distro running and i'll be doing more work on the emulator again.

sultanoswing

*SOLVED* - installing SDL_ttf got the latest packaged version of blight's plugin working (either that or deleting a copy of blight_input.config from my /home directory).

This worked on Ubuntu Gusty 32-bit, FWIW. Thanks!

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Glad you fixed that. Though, SDL_ttf should be installed by default - its the best font library in SDL for this kind of stuff, But i know alot of distros choose to keep it uninstalled initally. Perhaps we should include it our packages and have an LD_PRELOAD script to use it? Thats most convenient for those who don't have it. Theres already a reason to have a script - to force the CWD. Speaking of the CWD, i almost forgot i have to go change the icon code to not depend on that.

OP
R

Richard42

Emulator Developer
*SOLVED* - installing SDL_ttf got the latest packaged version of blight's plugin working (either that or deleting a copy of blight_input.config from my /home directory).

That's great to hear. We've had about 100 downloads so far for the binary packages and not many bug reports; I take that to mean that people are having success with this release. This is definitely good news.

Just this morning I got my MiniPC finally set up properly so that I can play mupen with full screen display on my TV and it looks perfect. :bouncy:

TwistedWhizz

Excellent! Thanks to all for your continued hard work on this. I'll make sure I pass this among my friends.

OK, so far the only problem I've encountered is with RiceVideo. When selecting full screen mode it shakes and flickers and is generally unplayable. However it seems to be OK when leaving it windowed. I'm using the 32bit version with a simple GeForce FX5600XT, and I'm selecting the same settings as I would if I used the older Mupen64. I have an AMD Sempron 2200+ processor. I've listed my specs before but thought it worth stating them again to assist. There doesn't seem to be any error readout when using the terminal to start Mupen64.

Hope this is helpful. If I've done something wrong please let me know. Many thanks.

:mupen64:

EDIT: Sorry, should have mentioned this is when playing Super Mario 64.

Oh right. So it's just me then!

I suppose I'll have to upgrade the old PC now if Mupen's development is to be ongoing.

OP
R

Richard42

Emulator Developer
Oh right. So it's just me then!

I suppose I'll have to upgrade the old PC now if Mupen's development is to be ongoing.

I have a Geforce 6600 on my desktop PC and it looks perfect. The key here is the support for the Fragment Program in OpenGL. I may take some time to fix the problems in the OpenGL v1.4 shader just because quite a few people have older hardware that can't do the fragment programs, but I doubt I'll take a look at the 1.2/1.3 shaders.

I have added your bug to the TODO list and I will take a look at the fullscreen code, at least to fix the button/key command. But if I can't reproduce your video issues then I probably won't be able to solve them.

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
BTW, i just added the patch for the icon loading in SVN. Now you can open mupen64 any which way - just as long as icons is in the place its expected to be (the same folder as mupen or a folder specificied at build)

sultanoswing

BTW, i just added the patch for the icon loading in SVN. Now you can open mupen64 any which way - just as long as icons is in the place its expected to be (the same folder as mupen or a folder specificied at build)

Cool. This way I'll be able to load it directly using a Gnome panel application launcher* (command: "/home/username/Mupen64/mupen64") and still get the icons loaded :)

* (EDIT: instead of using the panel launcher to run a shell script, which cd's then executes)

Last edited:

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Well, Until I make the rest of the rombrowser mod (Moving it to the non-depricated GtkTreeView over the depricated GtkCList) the icons will load for the toolbar but the rest of the icon loading functions have not been modified. But oh well, this way you can use the toolbar without using the tooltips to find out what the buttons are. I'll be working on moving the rombrowser over and when thats done i'll commit the code to SVN for that and the rest of the icon patch.

Also, Richard, Is the problem with WritePNG known? I just checked dump textures in Rice Video to see if it works. I ended up building Rice with the debugging symbols on and i got that it had an segment inside of Write PNG (liblinux/pngrw.c:531). I will go trace that down, but I might not find exactly what causes it to occur.

Last edited:
OP
R

Richard42

Emulator Developer
Also, Richard, Is the problem with WritePNG known? I just checked dump textures in Rice Video to see if it works. I ended up building Rice with the debugging symbols on and i got that it had an segment inside of Write PNG (liblinux/pngrw.c:531). I will go trace that down, but I might not find exactly what causes it to occur.

I haven't tested the texture saving, so I was unaware of the WritePNG problem. I'll put it on the TODO list.

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Okay, I partially solved the problem. Now i just need to correct the way it saves - currently its saving to [cwd]/[type]/[filename].png instead of [folder containing ricevideo.so]/texture_dump/[game string]/[type]/[filename].png. But truely other than that it works quite well, except for the fact that its pretty slow in realtime (but thats to be expected).

edit: The directory problem with texture ripping has been fixed. As of the latest SVN, Rice Video should be able to properly rip textures.

Last edited:

alex4444

Problems with the input plugin

Hi, I had the same problem, I installed SDL_ttf and the blight's SDL input plugin 0.0.10 appears in the config dialog.

I have another problem now. When I try to run Zelda O of T, it shows "NO CONTROLLER". If I choose back the Mupen64 basic input plugin, I can use only some of the keys I configured with blight's config interface: movement keys, show/hide map key, start key and the action key. I had exactly the same problem with Mupen64-0.5, before trying this one.

I want to talk with the girl on the roof of the shop and I can't. :(

Gutsy, 64 bit..

Any idea what could be wrong?

Thanks!