PDA

View Full Version : N64 Glide Plugin Part 4

Slougi
April 13th, 2002, 22:34
Ok, continue thread here :)

Falcon4ever
April 13th, 2002, 23:18
Ok well, let this be the first new post of part 4.

I found a way to use Glide64 in a window

Follow these steps:

1. Download the zipfile
2. Unzip the file to your PJ64 Directory (NOT THE WINDOWS\SYSTEM MAP!)
3. Start PJ64
4. Keep the 'Go Fullscreen on load' ENABELD!
5. Change Res to 640x480
6. Say, "thank you falcon4ever"
7. Choose and start your game
8. Voila!

Note:
1. It runs slower (voodoo 2 -> 30 fps to 12 fps)
2. To restore normal Fullscreen, just delete the winglide3x files
3. (I believe VVT informed us about WinGlide from Nullsoft, but that one could only be used with Glide2x.dll !)

4. When you run a game, the screen will go Fullscreen but switches automaticly back to a window.

Falcon4ever
April 13th, 2002, 23:19
Screenshot, Glide64 Windowed mode in Action!

The Khan Artist
April 13th, 2002, 23:56
Cool... doesn't it do that by reading the framebuffer and then writing it to a window? That would explain the speed.

OK... "thank you falcon4ever"!

The Khan Artist
April 14th, 2002, 00:01
OK, I read the readme, and that's exactly how it works.

Still, that's pretty neat.

Cyberman
April 14th, 2002, 04:05
Hmmm interesting..
Copying buffer data will effectively halve your performance.

I suppose one way to force 'glide' into a window would be to have wraping software that takes the glide commands and translates the screen coordinates and information appropriately. Running glide in a window period will be slow though. Translating coordinates and such to the 'window' it's supposed to be rendered in certainly would add a lot of overhead. Then supporting all the Windows GDI commands with driver would be a lot of fun too :p

Cyb

The Khan Artist
April 14th, 2002, 08:16
Well, I'm pretty sure there are some Glide2x wrappers that can render into a window.

EeeK
April 14th, 2002, 08:50
I read the readme.txt inside the zip file. It is "WinGlide v1.03 for Glide 3.0 - 7/30/2000 Enhancements Copr. 1998-2000 Chris Dohnal [email protected]"

Have not been update for 2 years, should we email to this guy to develop this again? Probably make it faster or something.

EeeK
April 14th, 2002, 08:57
Juz try but it gave me a black screen. Give me corrupted screen when I pressed ESC, ALT+ESC and ALT-TAB. Does it work in WinXP?

gokuss4
April 14th, 2002, 09:40
alright i know the problem with the items of ssb. they're 2d objects but the plugin register them as 3d objects. so thats why when you hold them they look like they're turned but they're not suppose to be. its like 3d paper lol but the items always have to face the screen at all times. dave i hope i made sense and i know what i was talking about. and you other people i want to get your opinions on this matter. with 2 screenshots to show you.

gokuss4
April 14th, 2002, 09:43
it also happens with the shield but i think you should imagine what it would look like, and also samus' shoulder armor parts are not suppose to be black.

Falcon4ever
April 14th, 2002, 17:46
Originally posted by EeeK
Juz try but it gave me a black screen. Give me corrupted screen when I pressed ESC, ALT+ESC and ALT-TAB. Does it work in WinXP?

I've some questions for your guys (girls?),

Which Voodoo card do you use,

I'm using a Voodoo 2 12MB PCI
and it works.

Dave2001 also tryied it on his Voodoo 3 PCI but it just gave a black screen...

The Khan Artist
April 14th, 2002, 23:05
Actually, it gives me a black screen, too. I was just thanking you for trying to help. :P

I have a Voodoo Banshee 16MB PCI.

And those SSB shots don't look too bad...

milen
April 15th, 2002, 01:58
I have Voodoo Banshee 16mb agp and the plugin work OK.

The Khan Artist
April 15th, 2002, 02:45
falcon meant the Glide-in-a-window hack.

Dave2001
April 15th, 2002, 03:32
This would be the MOST useful debugging tool, since I can't use MSVC++'s debuger in fullscreen mode. Why is it that nothing I need will ever work??? When I use this dll, it runs, but IN FULLSCREEN. I am positive it is looking in the right directory, I am running from PJ64's dir & not from vc++. I put the Glide3x.dll in the PJ64 dir, set 'fullscreen on rom load', ran a game, and voila! the game runs just as it did before.
(& also I know it's using it because it quits on exiting fullscreen b/c of an error)

Cyberman
April 15th, 2002, 07:48
Originally posted by Dave2001
This would be the MOST useful debugging tool, since I can't use MSVC++'s debuger in fullscreen mode. Why is it that nothing I need will ever work??? When I use this dll, it runs, but IN FULLSCREEN. I am positive it is looking in the right directory, I am running from PJ64's dir & not from vc++. I put the Glide3x.dll in the PJ64 dir, set 'fullscreen on rom load', ran a game, and voila! the game runs just as it did before.
(& also I know it's using it because it quits on exiting fullscreen b/c of an error)

Hmmm thinking about using that Glide3 to D3d program so that you can test your plugin in a window?

As for actually coding something that passes API information.. I know the GLIDE hardware sets the pixel buffer differently for 3d rendering so to allow the standard API drawing while you filtered Glide commands before passing them to Glide probably won't work it will give you weird data on the screen. If not then just translating the screen coordinates and using the Windows drivers in the background would work. You would have to stop the Glide rendering when the window was minimized however, probably stop the game too.

Cyb

Reznor007
April 15th, 2002, 08:20

I think the WinGlide program is hard coded to read the framebuffer from a V1/V2 add-on board, so I doubt it will work with V3, Banshee, and newer because they use a shared memory pool.

linker
April 18th, 2002, 05:15
Use eVoodoo 3.0.

LoneRaven
April 18th, 2002, 08:15
Isn't eVoodoo a glide wrapper? Dave said that Glide64 will never support using a glide wrapper. :plain:

mesman00
April 18th, 2002, 09:28
yes, dave said that, because before the latest release of evoodo, glide wrappers only supported glide2x, but, the latest release of evoodoo now supports glide3x, as well as glide2x.

Dave2001
April 18th, 2002, 10:43
:) after about an hour of looking at it, I've got MM working, working nearly perfect from the start. (this is not going to be in the 0.1 release though) [ogy tells me that Tael IS supposed to be that color. is that correct?]

[edit] Correction: it may/may not be included in the next version.

Ogy
April 18th, 2002, 11:21
just had to put another one

Reznor007
April 18th, 2002, 11:38
Yeah, that looks right to me. Here's a screenshot off the real N64.

Ogy
April 18th, 2002, 11:45
Sure it is, i played that part so many times on my N64, i think it is the same with Jabo's for people with GF3 and GF4.

anyway here is a screenshot not from the intro

Reznor007
April 18th, 2002, 11:55
Hmm...since MM is supported now, how is it handling the motion blur effects(like the mask in the intro)?

The best way I can think to do that is a render to texture command, but I can't remember if Glide3 supports that.

mesman00
April 18th, 2002, 21:08
those shots look amazing! keep up the great work :!!!:

bodie
April 18th, 2002, 23:13
someone pick my jaw up from off the floor .. WOW! that looks bloody amazing to say how long you have been doing this ..
you are very talented ..long may you stay in the scene ..
well done dave
regards bodie

Gummy bear
April 19th, 2002, 01:04
Dave's Glide64 pic compared to the real one looks different, but better. :D

Remote
April 19th, 2002, 01:30
Originally posted by Gummy bear
Dave's Glide64 pic compared to the real one looks different, but better. :D

It lacks fog emulation...

sk8bloke22
April 19th, 2002, 01:56
Originally posted by bodie
someone pick my jaw up from off the floor .. WOW! that looks bloody amazing to say how long you have been doing this ..
you are very talented ..long may you stay in the scene ..
well done dave
regards bodie

no doubt, im very impressed. this is stunning progress. serious pat on the back.

pj64er
April 19th, 2002, 02:49
thats amazing

is the sky color right? (ie not green)

DuDe
April 19th, 2002, 03:30
You are the man Dave. I don`t really have my voodoo at my reach so I can actually test it, but I gotta say that it`s one amazing progress. It`s great to see that people like you still revive the 3dfx comunity.

CpU MasteR
April 19th, 2002, 05:36
/me Goes & Finds a Voodoo & Shoots his Intel Chip****...

Cyberman
April 19th, 2002, 07:24
Originally posted by CpU MasteR
/me Goes & Finds a Voodoo & Shoots his Intel Chip****...
Actually the Xscale archetecture by Intel is pretty good the problem is it's like the Kyro.. little support that's good.

Cyb

Dave2001
April 19th, 2002, 12:59
Finally fixed the Infamous Resolution Problem (IRP as we called it) that was affecting so many games. Now there is no more 'screen is too big' and 'screen is too small' stuff.

(yeah, I know, I still haven't gotten around to dealing with those large textures... :P)

Gideon007
April 19th, 2002, 17:08
Dave you are killing me!!! :-)
posting those screenies without a plug-in version to download is bringing me near to tears!
Keep it up!!! :-)

April 19th, 2002, 18:21
Hi!,anyone have an updated compatibility list for the current beta?.

Hiperzone
April 19th, 2002, 19:37
no, the only CL is for version 004. :P and thx to ogy

The Khan Artist
April 20th, 2002, 05:20
Originally posted by Gideon007
posting those screenies without a plug-in version to download is bringing me near to tears!

Ditto. :P

Quackat0r
April 20th, 2002, 05:28
Originally posted by Gideon007

Umm... triplo? :D

April 20th, 2002, 05:47
Sorry... then, what games are now working (or almost) in the new beta?.

April 20th, 2002, 05:53
And, can anyone post a pic of the new configuration window?

Dave2001
April 20th, 2002, 06:03
I've added many new configuration options recently:

btw, notice the autodetect microcode option :) and also there are ToolTips for when you move the mouse over an option to explain it.

April 20th, 2002, 06:05
Thank you!,thank you!, thank you!...

April 20th, 2002, 06:09
Autodetection microcode option => no ini file?

lightknight
April 20th, 2002, 06:13
thats 1 thing that realy needs fixed.great work !! i tried to compile your code in dev c++ and it gives me abunch of errors!!!

keep up the great work...:cool: :cool: :cool: :pj64: :pj64: :pj64:

The Khan Artist
April 20th, 2002, 08:15
Lightnight: That would be 'cause you need Visual C++. DevC++ is basically just a nice frontend to MingW, which doesn't support lots of the Visual C++-specific language additions and stuff. Try KaZaA or Morpheus.

Dave: That 'run (+log) in window' option sinds interesting... And did you manage some way to get uCode auto-detection without a CRC database? If not, how comprehensive is your CRC DB?

Ogy
April 20th, 2002, 09:30
Hi, Gugaman (http://www.emutalk.net/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=50) has made a good progress With CBFD, but he's on a modem, so he asked me to post these:
1)

Ogy
April 20th, 2002, 09:33
2)

Ogy
April 20th, 2002, 09:34
3)

Quackat0r
April 20th, 2002, 09:43
*wets pants from excitement*

and lol @ banjo's head above the fire! :D

Gugaman
April 20th, 2002, 10:29
autodetect means to get the ini options OR force the selected below

Dave2001
April 20th, 2002, 15:06
Ok, v0.1 has been released. It does not include all of the latest changes though such as Majora's Mask and the resolution fix. I'm releasing this now because 1) I did not want to mess up Ogy's compatability list and 2) so I can work without feeling rushed (it's been over two months since the last version).

I will try to make updates more frequent now, and I'm hoping that I can release a new version within the next 3-5 weeks.

Anyway, here is Glide64 v0.1 (http://glide64.emuxhaven.net).

Have fun :happy:

nObedienz
April 20th, 2002, 15:27
argh...just a couple of days ago i deleted all my roms, emulators..
everything..now i have to go and download em again :)
doesnt matter really, i would do anything for glide64, hehe:D

sk8bloke22
April 20th, 2002, 16:52
good work dave. even on my geforce2 zelda looks super splendid... :D a few issues to do with evoodoo that need sorting (largely fog), but alls certainly good. cheers for ur effort.

Hiperzone
April 20th, 2002, 19:56
hehe good work, and ogy, i have uploaded the old version of the porgram to my site, talk with IceLord to give you the Urls. cyas.

The Khan Artist
April 20th, 2002, 20:10
Damn... LOTS more games work. Nice work, Dave, Gugaman, and Gonetz! And you too, Ogy.

Dave2001
April 20th, 2002, 23:15
OMG, over 2000 hits in only half a day? :o That was a lot more than I was expecting. I was expecting maybe a few hundred...

Doomulation
April 21st, 2002, 02:29
OMG, over 2000 hits in only half a day? :o That was a lot more than I was expecting. I was expecting maybe a few hundred...
Thats...quite...many.
You're famous, dave :D

The Khan Artist
April 21st, 2002, 07:50
/me has a question.

Do you want any help logging missing combiners? Like, you could give some people each a game to play through.

I could do Paper Mario, if you want.

Also, Ogy, you listed Banjo-Kazooie as "resolution is slightly off, other then that no problems observed". Well, the menus (and a few other 2D objects) are pretty much ****. Just thought I'd let you know.

Rice
April 21st, 2002, 08:35
Damn, I just replaced my Voodoo3 with Jeforce2 a few days ago, does anyone have idea to make Glide64 working by using Glide Wrapper. I tried to use OGL wrapper, Glide64 shows me an empty warning dialog box with no messages. This dialog box comes out when 1964 or PJ64 try to switch to full screen.

sk8bloke22
April 21st, 2002, 08:50
u need evoodoo3 (look on emu64 for the link)...its the only wrapper that works. put it in the 1964 dir/pj64 dir (thats the glide3.dll). It should work, buuut there are tranparency probs, fog probs, and some other probs.

Ogy
April 21st, 2002, 10:25
Originally posted by The Khan Artist
/me has a question.

Do you want any help logging missing combiners? Like, you could give some people each a game to play through.

Also, Ogy, you listed Banjo-Kazooie as "resolution is slightly off, other then that no problems observed". Well, the menus (and a few other 2D objects) are pretty much ****. Just thought I'd let you know.

:!!!: ??

ok, make sure it is not your drivers please...

Quackat0r
April 21st, 2002, 10:55
As far as I can tell, it's only a few of the in-game pickups. In this pic you should be seeing gold feathers at the top, and red feathers below them.

Quackat0r
April 21st, 2002, 10:58
And here's the pause screen, which is still a bit screwy. It shows the rest of the scrambled pickup images too (the jingoes at the bottom are also scrambled)

Ogy
April 21st, 2002, 11:45
is that what you meant by menu?
hardly an obstacle in finishing the game i would say, i gave 5 to games where the menu text was unreadable... and where the menus were even more important.

and about the background, i think it uses a special effect which isn't emulated in any plugin in existence (i could be wrong of course)

Quackat0r
April 21st, 2002, 16:01
Hehehe, I can't remember what the damn thing is supposed to look like anyway, so it doesn't bother me at all :D Like you said, it's not a game crippling problem or anything.

One thing that is bugging me though, what did you do to get WCW Nitro to work? I forced it to the right uCode, as the compatibility list said, aaaaaaand I get nothing. It fires up, and starts emulating, but I don't get any sound or gfx out of it?

Ogy
April 21st, 2002, 18:20
Originally posted by Quackat0r
Hehehe, I can't remember what the damn thing is supposed to look like anyway, so it doesn't bother me at all :D Like you said, it's not a game crippling problem or anything.

One thing that is bugging me though, what did you do to get WCW Nitro to work? I forced it to the right uCode, as the compatibility list said, aaaaaaand I get nothing. It fires up, and starts emulating, but I don't get any sound or gfx out of it?

wait in window mode till you do hear something...(you better press F4 to disable speed limit too)

Dave2001
April 21st, 2002, 22:13

I believe that game switches uCodes, which I have not implemented yet. I haven't even tried that game yet though.

The Khan Artist
April 21st, 2002, 23:05
Yah, Quackat0r, that's what I was talking about. It doesn't affect gameplay, but it IS a problem. Dunno about the background, I can't use any other GFX plugins (good ones, at least.)

And what about

/me has a question.

Dave2001
April 22nd, 2002, 05:47
Anyway, I have a question to ask...

Can anyone give me a better description of the VI_X_SCALE and VI_Y_SCALE registers? I have one description:

VI x-scale
(RW): [11:0] 1/horizontal scale up factor (2.10 format)
[27:16] horizontal subpixel offset (2.10 format)
VI y-scale
(RW): [11:0] 1/vertical scale up factor (2.10 format)
[27:16] vertical subpixel offset (2.10 format)

However, this is very odd, since I typically get VI_X_SCALE = 0x200 and VI_Y_SCALE = 0x400.

That would make x_scale: 1/.5=2, right?
and y_scale: 1/1=1

is it really trying to scale 2x in the x-axis and 1x in the y-axis?

I had most of the resolution problems fixed when I used 0x200/VI_X_SCALE and 0x400/VI_Y_SCALE but there were still a small number more which it didn't handle.

and how about this one?
y stretched:
ViStatusChanged () - VI_X_SCALE_REG: 00000200,
VI_Y_SCALE_REG: 00000800

1 / 0.5 = 2
1 / 2 = 0.5

2x0.5? it's larger in the y, not the x...

Cyberman
April 22nd, 2002, 07:42
Anyway, I have a question to ask...

Can anyone give me a better description of the VI_X_SCALE and VI_Y_SCALE registers? I have one description:

VI x-scale
(RW): [11:0] 1/horizontal scale up factor (2.10 format)
[27:16] horizontal subpixel offset (2.10 format)
VI y-scale
(RW): [11:0] 1/vertical scale up factor (2.10 format)
[27:16] vertical subpixel offset (2.10 format)

However, this is very odd, since I typically get VI_X_SCALE = 0x200 and VI_Y_SCALE = 0x400.

That would make x_scale: 1/.5=2, right?
and y_scale: 1/1=1

is it really trying to scale 2x in the x-axis and 1x in the y-axis?

I had most of the resolution problems fixed when I used 0x200/VI_X_SCALE and 0x400/VI_Y_SCALE but there were still a small number more which it didn't handle.

and how about this one?
y stretched:
ViStatusChanged () - VI_X_SCALE_REG: 00000200,
VI_Y_SCALE_REG: 00000800

1 / 0.5 = 2
1 / 2 = 0.5

2x0.5? it's larger in the y, not the x...

I know you will hate me for doing this.. but how about some algebra?

the first 12 bits are the X/Y scale in both factors 1/X2.X10 1/Y2.Y10
That's what the comment says at least.

so XSF (X scale factor)
0x200 or
0010 0000 0000
or
1/2 (binary fraction remember?)

so YSF (Y Scale factor)
0x400 or
0100 0000 0000
or
1 (binary scale factor)

This tells me that it is using double the resolution but at half the pixel scale horizontally. It's not actually scaling up horizontally at all. Important to note that.
the aspect ratio is still 2/1 though you are right :)

But what's happening is if your resolution is say
320x240 your image data is 2 times the horizontal resoluation as the vertical resoluation. Why they did this I've no idea. It just means things would look squished outward if you rendered them 1:1 :)

But basically they aren't scaling it up they are halving it :) instead. Another game that does this is the tomb raider games though they are rendered at 512x240 I had a heck of a time figuring that out :)

Cyb

schibo
April 22nd, 2002, 08:12
afaik menu needs rsp jpeg, like in link's tree house floor. should work in pj fine.

Reznor007
April 22nd, 2002, 08:42
Originally posted by Ogy
is that what you meant by menu?
hardly an obstacle in finishing the game i would say, i gave 5 to games where the menu text was unreadable... and where the menus were even more important.

and about the background, i think it uses a special effect which isn't emulated in any plugin in existence (i could be wrong of course)

I think that is done with a framebuffer readback to texture, and then blurs the texture. Same as Conker pause screen(IIRC).

Quackat0r
April 22nd, 2002, 21:49
Originally posted by Reznor007

I think that is done with a framebuffer readback to texture, and then blurs the texture. Same as Conker pause screen(IIRC).

That would explain why the jigsaw transition is bust too. No framebuffer in Glide64 yet?

zilmar
April 23rd, 2002, 04:47
jigsaw transition makes a pic with a dlist (other then VI registers should make it invisible) .. then grabs that pic from memory as texutres .. then does the jigsaw thing with those textures ... so if the screen is not in memory .. then it will not been seen ..

The Khan Artist
April 23rd, 2002, 08:25
Sort of like the FF battle intro transtitions on the PSX, huh?

Quvack
April 24th, 2002, 09:50
*bump*, dont want the thread getting lost :)

CpU MasteR
April 24th, 2002, 10:42
Originally posted by zilmar
jigsaw transition makes a pic with a dlist (other then VI registers should make it invisible) .. then grabs that pic from memory as texutres .. then does the jigsaw thing with those textures ... so if the screen is not in memory .. then it will not been seen ..

So where is this "Pic" Saved at? the Rom Memory or the Rom itself?

Reznor007
April 24th, 2002, 11:24
N64 RAM. This could probably be done fairly easily with a render to texture command, but I can't remember if Glide3 had that or not...

D3D does support it, but AFAIK Jabo's plugin doesn't use that, and it uses a videocard framebuffer grab.

zilmar
April 25th, 2002, 02:45
Reznor007: the reason jabo grabs it from the CFB is that you do not know before hand that is how the dlist is going ... If you just looked at the dlist you would have no idea what the textures where .. as this is the common method, but they are useally dmaed in to the memory from the rom, not created from a dlist. We had discussed ways of making use of the cfb in to the dlist .. some of the methods we disscussed did come in to jabos plugin. But it is not very nice methods they use for the PC hardware (at least going through drivers) where it is nice for the n64

CpU MasteR
April 25th, 2002, 11:25
Ahhhhhhh. I hope This is Not Just me ???

Reznor007
April 25th, 2002, 11:59
Originally posted by zilmar
Reznor007: the reason jabo grabs it from the CFB is that you do not know before hand that is how the dlist is going ... If you just looked at the dlist you would have no idea what the textures where .. as this is the common method, but they are useally dmaed in to the memory from the rom, not created from a dlist. We had discussed ways of making use of the cfb in to the dlist .. some of the methods we disscussed did come in to jabos plugin. But it is not very nice methods they use for the PC hardware (at least going through drivers) where it is nice for the n64

Do you mean that a portion of code is DMA'd into the N64's RAM, then executed on the RDP outside of the normal display list?

zorbid
April 25th, 2002, 12:23

What's the name
Of this game?
To my left...

Ogy
April 25th, 2002, 19:31
Originally posted by Quackat0r

ok, i managed to get my CD64 fully working ( :) ) and now a few notes:
1. the banjo-kzooie start menu is just the background picture of the game (like zelda's strat menu)

2. Gukoss4 was right!!, the items in SSB (including the glowing shield) are simply turning to the wrong direction! in both jabo's and Glide64!

3. umm... Reznor007 what did you use to make that shot... i have a good (supposed to be good?) digital camera but the shots come out real bad.. ???

Reznor007
April 26th, 2002, 02:34
I have a video input card on my computer. I run my N64 into it using Svideo, then process it using a freeware program called DScaler.

www.dscaler.com

Use the Greedy High Motion deinterlacer with 3:2pulldown and sharpness filter.

My video setup was calibrated using the THX optimode from the Toy Story DVD, since DScaler can digitally autocalibrate the color/brightness/etc. using that.

Also, about Banjo and Zelda, the pause screens are probably done that way to save processing time. Simply render that scene once, save it as a texture, and render the menu system with that texture as a background, rather than re-rendering the entire scene with the menu over it every frame.

CpU MasteR
April 27th, 2002, 23:55

hehe, It was me. It ****ed up the settings in eV00d00 ;)

lightknight
April 30th, 2002, 04:54
your last screen shots of it looks very awsome!!! :cool: :cool: keep up the awsome work!! i think you r a awsome gfx coder!!!
i wish i chould make a gfx plugin , as good as yours some day...right now i am studying C , and C++........and am downloading mirosoft visual studio 6!

Renegade
April 30th, 2002, 17:17
yeps they look awesome...
but what happened to the bravado when you boasted the claim of making a GC emu by a formulated team?
at least you're takin the right step and going for C and C++...

euphoria
April 30th, 2002, 18:08
Dave, I got the impression that you wasn't really sure where those F3DEX. and SW 2.0x ucode names come from. I found out last night that they are in DMEM.

If you know the following you can directly start HLE out of it.
HLE: High Level Emulation - first hacked out by Epsilon and RealityMan. (Authors of UltraHLE.)
The DMEM is filled from 0x04000fc0 - 0x04000fff with the following:
0x04000fc0: task
0x00000001 ... Graphics Task
0x00000002 ... Audio Task
0x04000fc4: flags?
0x00000002 ... DP wait
0x04000fc8: bootcode
0x04000fcc: bootcode length
0x04000fd0: ucode
0x04000fd4: ucode length
0x04000fd8: ucode data
0x04000fdc: ucode data length
0x04000fe0: dram stack (for matrices)
0x04000fe4: dram stack length
0x04000fe8: ?
0x04000fec: ?
0x04000ff0: display list
0x04000ff4: display list length
0x04000ff8: ?
0x04000ffc: ?
I call function PrintDMEMinfo() (in debug.c.txt) once per game in RDPProcessDList() and in the ucode data part are those ucode names and some other stuff. These are ripped off from the output:

mario64:

RSP SW Version: 2.0D, 04-01-96 SGI U64 GFX SW TEAM: S Anderson, S Carr, H Cheng, K Luster, R Moore, N Pooley, A Srinivasan

Zelda OOT:

RSP Gfx ucode F3DZEX.NoN fifo 2.06H Yo****aka Yasumoto 1998 Nintendo...
RSP Gfx[Safe] S2DEX fifo 2.05 Yo****aka Yasumoto 1998 Nintendo...

in debug.c.txt is a working function for printing ucode, ucode data, and dlist to file dmem.txt, use it if you want. Probably you already know all of this, but in case you don't and for others who want to know i decided to post this stuff.

And finally a question: Is the data from address found in [0x04000fd0] loaded to the RSP or how does the ucodes work? is it like a GFX "BIOS" which is loaded for every dlist? I really doubt it is loaded every time a new dlist comes so there must be some flag that gets set if ucode is to be changed? Or am i totally lost here?

Hacktarux
April 30th, 2002, 19:14
AFAIK, from all the things i have disassembled it loads the ucode each time a display list is started. This is because the memory is used by the graphic ucode AND the audio ucode...
So when an audio task is started, the gfx ucode is erased....

Cyberman
May 1st, 2002, 05:02
Originally posted by Hacktarux
AFAIK, from all the things i have disassembled it loads the ucode each time a display list is started. This is because the memory is used by the graphic ucode AND the audio ucode...
So when an audio task is started, the gfx ucode is erased....
How about this..
place in the 'hardware' that's emulated a hook that each time the uCode is changed a 'tag' is made for the DLIST that's being displayed. Perhaps switching the uCode once per DList is a good idea too. Unfortunately that would require a bit of work to read the DLIST do the HLE stuff and let it run not too mention the slow down.

(shrugs) :)

Cyb

May 7th, 2002, 19:41
Please... How is the fastest glide3x library for XP. I have some differents glide dlls from Ksmoky, The GlideXP Project, an d others but I can speed up the games...

May 8th, 2002, 19:43
DAVE... no more posts?, no more releases?...

Sorry, but is very strange too many time w/o post about progress, problems or anything about Glide64.

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? :blush:

May 8th, 2002, 19:58
Ah, one more question...
What do you (and everybody) think about this post?

http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4757

Why we might wait the Smiff release if Doomulation can post it today?

Slougi
May 8th, 2002, 20:02
Originally posted by [email protected]
DAVE... no more posts?, no more releases?...

Sorry, but is very strange too many time w/o post about progress, problems or anything about Glide64.

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? :blush:
All I can say is don't worry. Dave is as alive and kicking as ever :)

Hacktarux
May 8th, 2002, 20:06
Ah, one more question...
What do you (and everybody) think about this post?

http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4757

Why we might wait the Smiff release if Doomulation can post it today?

Because Smiff has good reasons to say this (don't forget that he's part of the developpement team). And i don't understand what this post has to do with this thread. :(

May 8th, 2002, 20:10
Ups!

Dave2001
May 9th, 2002, 03:02
I am currently in the middle of a very big task, rewriting the texture loading code to more closely emulate the n64's texture memory. This should 1) fix some of the texture errors i was having before and 2) load textures faster since now I am putting the loading loop in assembly and always reading 32-bit values instead of 4/8/16/32 bit ones.

so yes, I am still alive :cool:

Cyberman
May 9th, 2002, 08:07
I am currently in the middle of a very big task, rewriting the texture loading code to more closely emulate the n64's texture memory. This should 1) fix some of the texture errors i was having before and 2) load textures faster since now I am putting the loading loop in assembly and always reading 32-bit values instead of 4/8/16/32 bit ones.

so yes, I am still alive :cool:
Being alive is good no? :)

Well you have immortalized the 3dfx systems even though they are probably disappearing a lot faster these days :)

Cyb

May 16th, 2002, 20:41
Hey!, what happens to Glide64?, Why no more screenshots of the DEV version (errors, improvemments, fixes, etc.).
Whe want to know how this amazing and great plugin is "growing" .
O.K.... if no new roms supported pics, maybe fixes... something!!!

Sorry for the double post, but this time without news is... almost strange....

May 16th, 2002, 20:49
Why not a glide640.1a version with only the "out of screen" fix...
And Zelda MoM?

mesman00
May 17th, 2002, 00:28
stop begging, when Dave wants to, he'll post something

Cyberman
May 17th, 2002, 02:58
Hey!, what happens to Glide64?, Why no more screenshots of the DEV version (errors, improvemments, fixes, etc.).
Whe want to know how this amazing and great plugin is "growing" .
O.K.... if no new roms supported pics, maybe fixes... something!!!

Sorry for the double post, but this time without news is... almost strange....

Umm... Not to be persnickety, but why not help with the coding or something? then you will be involved and KNOW what the progress is? :) If not be thankful he's done anything, and it's not been long actually, an example is Lewpies Glide plugin for PSXemuPro, it hasn't been updated (distributed form) for 9 months, yet the author every 2 months or so gives a terse update.

Remember programing a graphics plugin is not like buying two personal communicators and going on a weekend outing and a chat. It's a lot of painstaking work that requires a lot of reading a lot of asking questions and a lot of just trying things. I've done it, my plugin SUCKED, but it worked ;) heck I had textures working and partially working color blending in a PSXemuPro plugin (also the drawing primitives they weren't right but dang they worked I was amazed ;) ). Until I started to use more MMX instructions and got ****** at D3D's bad documentation ... need I say more, I decided continuing it was a waste of time. So.. long story short, don't pester people for updates, they might be doing something, like taking tests, going out on a date, living a life even. I'm sure Dave will let people know when there is something to know. :)

Cyb

May 17th, 2002, 03:14
Uhmmm.... O.K., I understand, but why not a "progress report" like between 0.04 and 0.1 versions?

mesman00
May 17th, 2002, 03:58
did u not just read cyberman's post, jeez, let it be, when he feels its necesarry, he'll post a progress report.

btw, u don't need to post the same thing in this forum and the screenshot forum, double posts are frowned upon, and you know better. almost everyone here visits all the forums, so you only need to post once.

sk8bloke22
May 17th, 2002, 06:01
wateva, dave has been kind enuff to show almost every bit of progress, i think its time we let him and the rest of the people working with him do wat they want. he's already said hes working on stuff, just be happy at that.

Eddy
May 18th, 2002, 03:16
damn dave's plugin has come a long way, ****, that plugin is off the hook. Next release will probably be in par with Jabo's, btw how many people are working on glide64?

Doomulation
May 18th, 2002, 03:51
Originally posted by Eddy
damn dave's plugin has come a long way, ****, that plugin is off the hook. Next release will probably be in par with Jabo's, btw how many people are working on glide64?
3 I think. Or maybe more, I'm not sure.

CpU MasteR
May 18th, 2002, 07:42
Originally posted by Doomulation

3 I think. Or maybe more, I'm not sure.

Dave, Gonetz, & Gugaman

Thats it...

Remote
May 18th, 2002, 07:56
And countless amounts of people logging countless amounts of missing combiners...

Ogy
May 20th, 2002, 23:27
I have a little Question, i always thought my voodoo 5 5500 has 4 TMU's but after consulting with dave and looking up the internet i came to the conclusion that i have absolutely no idea what's going on here? so Cyberman, Reznor007 or anybody with some knowledge in the field, can you help please?

and on a different note, here is the pic you asked for dave:

Ogy
May 20th, 2002, 23:44
It's been a little quiet lately, but dave is still alive and kicking, the new Texture code is coming up nicely, and from my tests about 80% of the games that were unsupported in 0.1 are now playable including: the army men games, bomberman64, the BAM games, Destruction Derby 64(although a workaround already exists for 0.1), Command & Conquer (with the sidebar), DK64 and a lot more, TWINE looks really nice btw :)

don't get overexcited though, there is still a long way before completion, and a new public version.

sk8bloke22
May 21st, 2002, 00:06
oh my ficking god. it looks perfect.

Remote
May 21st, 2002, 01:31
/gets exited eventhough I still doesn't have a voodoo card...

linker
May 21st, 2002, 02:04
OMG

Eddy
May 21st, 2002, 04:23
ogy, guga, or dave, have you guys ever thought that if you guys perfect glide64, you guys might try another api? and port the current code to another api? Not port, but use more or less the same code.

Ogy
May 21st, 2002, 04:40
yes, dave said other ports are on his todo list, he mentioned OpenGL will go 1st and maybe d3d if he has time, but it was way back... i have no idea if he still wants to do it though

Eikef7
May 21st, 2002, 05:23
Just a question. Is there a depth issue in the plugin involving the weapons, just as in Jabo's, or is it working well?

Cyberman
May 21st, 2002, 06:30
Originally posted by Ogy
I have a little Question, i always thought my voodoo 5 5500 has 4 TMU's but after consulting with dave and looking up the internet i came to the conclusion that i have absolutely no idea what's going on here? so Cyberman, Reznor007 or anybody with some knowledge in the field, can you help please?

and on a different note, here is the pic you asked for dave:
Ummm You mean about the Voodoo 5 wither it has 4 or 2 or 3 TMU's I would probably have to look around a bit for the information on it, even then 3DFX really didn't put up a lot of data about there chipsets, namely because they developed exclusively for themselves.

Cyb

LD.
May 21st, 2002, 07:33
As always, any news is good news :)

Is this new texture code likely to give a significant speed boost? I mean, it runs insanely fast for me already, but with a fairly decent boost I might just be able to run Conker and Majora's Mask at a decent framerate :D.

*drools*

Also a question I've been meaning to ask for a while (and one that seems to apply even more now) is about the different 3Dfx cards. Which ones do you use for testing and optimisation? Are the lower end cards (Voodoo2/Voodoo3) likely to have problems with the new code?

Anyhoo, keep up the good work, and keep us all updated on your speedy progress :D

gokuss4
May 21st, 2002, 08:55
the texture code change is suppose to speed it up yes.

Reznor007
May 21st, 2002, 09:24
Voodoo4/5 was completely different than the rest of the line.

V1, Vrush, and VBanshee were all 1 pixel pipeline with 1 TMU. Voodoo2 and 3 were 1 pixel pipeline with 2 TMU's. Voodoo4/5 were 2 pixel pipeline with 1 TMU. In single textured games V5 had a fillrate of 666Mpixel/sec, but when doing multitexture, one of the pixel pipelines was used as a TMU, so the fillrate was only 333Mpixel/sec.

LD.
May 21st, 2002, 10:31
Originally posted by gokuss4
alright i know the problem with the items of ssb. they're 2d objects but the plugin register them as 3d objects. so thats why when you hold them they look like they're turned but they're not suppose to be. its like 3d paper lol but the items always have to face the screen at all times. dave i hope i made sense and i know what i was talking about. and you other people i want to get your opinions on this matter. with 2 screenshots to show you.

Even though its probably been fixed by now, theres more with Smash Bros. It also has problems with the scaling of the objects. That's why you can't see the Charge Shot that Samus does - because it's really small. The Pokémon that come out of the balls are affected by this too (Koffing's smoke is really thin, and when Snorlax/Clefairy fall down the screen they're too small).

Ogy
May 21st, 2002, 21:54
Originally posted by LD.
As always, any news is good news :)

Is this new texture code likely to give a significant speed boost? I mean, it runs insanely fast for me already, but with a fairly decent boost I might just be able to run Conker and Majora's Mask at a decent framerate :D.

*drools*

Also a question I've been meaning to ask for a while (and one that seems to apply even more now) is about the different 3Dfx cards. Which ones do you use for testing and optimisation? Are the lower end cards (Voodoo2/Voodoo3) likely to have problems with the new code?

Anyhoo, keep up the good work, and keep us all updated on your speedy progress :D

No, VooDoo2 - VooDoo5 should look *exactly* the same, however voodoo1's .... that's a different story.

and thank you Reznor007 :) i didn't understand anything of what you said... but dave will :P

LD.
May 22nd, 2002, 03:20
Excellent, no need to upgrade then :D

Gonetz
May 27th, 2002, 20:01
fog generally works, but need some tuning yet

Gonetz
May 27th, 2002, 20:03
another shot

Gonetz
May 27th, 2002, 20:04
last one

Dave2001
May 28th, 2002, 00:09
!! you implemented fog!? I'm looking forward to seeing you again :)

btw, Gonetz, the texture load change is nearly complete. It works on all formats but 32-bit and needs some manual wrapping/clamping/mirroring (very small functions). It should be done within the next 2-4 days. (I'm out of school now :) yay!!!)

Reznor007
May 28th, 2002, 08:47
Dave, are you going to have an option for the texture filtering controls? Such as not filtering when the game uses point sampling, or the ability to force bilinear.

Dave2001
May 28th, 2002, 11:32
erm... there already is the ability to force bilinear or point-sampled.

About the auto, i will implement it soon (i almost did a while ago). I don't think this option would do quite as you'd expect... the only things i can see it might be disabled for are things such as the lens of truth (so that it can correctly cut the image without blending). (i have tested a few things and not once seen the filter mode change)

Gonetz
May 28th, 2002, 15:03
can somebody send to me ([email protected]) or post here some shots from real console, where fog is notisable? I found shots on IGN and GameSpot, but they have very bad quality.

Slougi
May 28th, 2002, 15:05
How would I go about taking a screenshot off of a real console? Just use a camera?

Gonetz
May 28th, 2002, 16:23
lots of ways. Many videocards have TV-IN, many web camers have TV-IN, all videotuners have it. If you have one of these devices, plug console to it and make shot. If not, you can use digital camera to make shots from TV screen, but this is worst case.

Slougi
May 28th, 2002, 16:26
Well, I don't really have a way to take a nice SS, my vid card has tv-out only, and no web-cam :(

BatBoy
May 28th, 2002, 18:52
I'll see what I can do. Zelda OOT ok?

BatBoy
May 28th, 2002, 20:48
Hope these are ok if not just say and i'll do some more

euphoria
May 29th, 2002, 00:26
!! you implemented fog!? I'm looking forward to seeing you again btw, Gonetz, the texture load change is nearly complete. It works on all formats but 32-bit and needs some manual wrapping/clamping/mirroring (very small functions). It should be done within the next 2-4 days. (I'm out of school now yay!!!)
Dave, have you made texture mirroring manually? Since my V1 doesn't support the Glide's auto-mirroring option. I might be willing to implement it if it hasn't been done already (and if my skills will be enough).

Dave2001
May 29th, 2002, 02:54
No, i haven't done mirroring manually... but this gives me an idea...

if on a voodoo1 that doesn't support mirroring, i mirror once and set to wrap, it would emulate the effect of mirroring. I'll try this soon & we'll see how it turns out.

(since i have the ability to manually mirror by enlarging the texture already anyway, for other purposes)

The only limitation to this is that the texture must be <= 128 in size, but I don't think too many things > 128 mirror.

Gonetz
May 29th, 2002, 12:14
Thanks BatBoy! Pretty good shots. Could you also made shots in Hyrule Field, e.g. from intro? I think castle and forest behind it should be slightly fogged.

BatBoy
May 29th, 2002, 14:18
Yes Gontez i'll do some more. Have them here ASAP.

BatBoy
May 29th, 2002, 18:45
here's some more images for you Gonetz. If you need more just ask :)

Gonetz
May 29th, 2002, 20:21
as I expected, everything in Hyrule Field is fogged. Thanks, it will help me. Can you do shots from WaveRace or Mario64?

BatBoy
May 30th, 2002, 00:46
Yes i'll get them to you as soon as I can. Might be l8r tonight or tomorrow...

gokuss4
May 30th, 2002, 07:06
Originally posted by Gonetz
as I expected, everything in Hyrule Field is fogged. Thanks, it will help me. Can you do shots from WaveRace or Mario64?

Gonetz that is how it is suppose to look unless you mean something else... i have zelda oot right now. i did check and its perfect! :D

Reznor007
May 31st, 2002, 05:35
erm... there already is the ability to force bilinear or point-sampled.

About the auto, i will implement it soon (i almost did a while ago). I don't think this option would do quite as you'd expect... the only things i can see it might be disabled for are things such as the lens of truth (so that it can correctly cut the image without blending). (i have tested a few things and not once seen the filter mode change)

Another example is the text and status(coins, etc.) displays in Mario64. They are not filtered on the real system(would be too blurry), while the rest of the frame is.

Ogy
June 1st, 2002, 23:50
Gonetz: you don't have to trouble peeps ;) just get on irc and i'll take pics of everything you need :) we are more or less in the same time zone, so if you get on IRC when i get home from work everyday (18:00 - 22:00) i can take any pic you need.

Dave2001
June 4th, 2002, 08:46
Hehe, Voodoo 1 support finally added :). It was 5 lines of code long, since the new texture code would mirror the texture to its full size automatically.

Here's a screenshot from a voodoo1 simulation (single tmu, no mirroring allowed)

Also, single-tmu support is much better now than it was before, so that's good news for Voodoo1 AND Banshee users.

sk8bloke22
June 4th, 2002, 15:57
is voodoo 1 as compatible as the others for glide64 now, cos i can pick on up for like £5...(voodoo 2's are really hard to get now - but if i find one ill get one instead, other than on ebay).

CpU MasteR
June 4th, 2002, 16:28
Originally posted by sk8bloke22
is voodoo 1 as compatible as the others for glide64 now, cos i can pick on up for like £5...(voodoo 2's are really hard to get now - but if i find one ill get one instead, other than on ebay).

yes, but Voodoo 1 Doesn't Support Texture Mirroring... Well, it sorta does now, i think... Hm ???

euphoria
June 4th, 2002, 17:48
Hehe, Voodoo 1 support finally added

Thanks Dave.:D

Doomulation
June 4th, 2002, 18:31
I think this thread has to split soon....
It's getting rather big.

Dave2001
June 5th, 2002, 08:57
Originally posted by sk8bloke22

No, Voodoo 1 is definately NOT as compatible as the others. The problem with the Voodoo 1 and Voodoo Banshee is that they have a single TMU and do not support multi-texturing. This means the ground in zelda will be missing it's detail, the sky will instantly change from night to day instead of smoothly changing, the flames will be pure yellow, in Majora's Mask the jungle will be a green gradient with no trees, and the bell tower will be made of stone instead of brick. If you don't mind these things, your Zelda will look like this:

Dave2001
June 5th, 2002, 09:00
... instead of this:

LD.
June 5th, 2002, 16:30
Admittedly the difference between the first pic and the second is pretty big... but it still looks better than I can get from Jabo's :D

Would Link's clothes also be white like they are in Jabo's on my SiS card, or is your code done differently so that running out of texture memory isn't a problem?

Dave2001
June 5th, 2002, 17:08
Nope, they would work just fine. And also, no, running out of texture memory is not a problem. (you can never run out, it'll just refresh the cache & start all over)

The Khan Artist
June 7th, 2002, 00:08
Man... I'll have to see about a V5 PCI.

Quvack
June 18th, 2002, 14:22
Thread Split Again

Goto the new thread by clicking here (http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5708)