What's new

N64 Glide Plugin Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falcon4ever

Plugin coder / Betatester
Ok well, let this be the first new post of part 4.

I found a way to use Glide64 in a window

Follow these steps:

1. Download the zipfile
2. Unzip the file to your PJ64 Directory (NOT THE WINDOWS\SYSTEM MAP!)
3. Start PJ64
4. Keep the 'Go Fullscreen on load' ENABELD!
5. Change Res to 640x480
6. Say, "thank you falcon4ever"
7. Choose and start your game
8. Voila!

Note:
1. It runs slower (voodoo 2 -> 30 fps to 12 fps)
2. To restore normal Fullscreen, just delete the winglide3x files
3. (I believe VVT informed us about WinGlide from Nullsoft, but that one could only be used with Glide2x.dll !)

[EDIT]
4. When you run a game, the screen will go Fullscreen but switches automaticly back to a window.
[/EDIT]

Last edited:

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
Cool... doesn't it do that by reading the framebuffer and then writing it to a window? That would explain the speed.

OK... "thank you falcon4ever"!

Cyberman

Hmmm interesting..
Copying buffer data will effectively halve your performance.

I suppose one way to force 'glide' into a window would be to have wraping software that takes the glide commands and translates the screen coordinates and information appropriately. Running glide in a window period will be slow though. Translating coordinates and such to the 'window' it's supposed to be rendered in certainly would add a lot of overhead. Then supporting all the Windows GDI commands with driver would be a lot of fun too :p

Cyb

EeeK

I read the readme.txt inside the zip file. It is "WinGlide v1.03 for Glide 3.0 - 7/30/2000 Enhancements Copr. 1998-2000 Chris Dohnal [email protected]"

Have not been update for 2 years, should we email to this guy to develop this again? Probably make it faster or something.

EeeK

Juz try but it gave me a black screen. Give me corrupted screen when I pressed ESC, ALT+ESC and ALT-TAB. Does it work in WinXP?

gokuss4

Meh...
alright i know the problem with the items of ssb. they're 2d objects but the plugin register them as 3d objects. so thats why when you hold them they look like they're turned but they're not suppose to be. its like 3d paper lol but the items always have to face the screen at all times. dave i hope i made sense and i know what i was talking about. and you other people i want to get your opinions on this matter. with 2 screenshots to show you.

gokuss4

Meh...
it also happens with the shield but i think you should imagine what it would look like, and also samus' shoulder armor parts are not suppose to be black.

Last edited:

Falcon4ever

Plugin coder / Betatester
EeeK said:
Juz try but it gave me a black screen. Give me corrupted screen when I pressed ESC, ALT+ESC and ALT-TAB. Does it work in WinXP?

I've some questions for your guys (girls?),

Which Voodoo card do you use,

I'm using a Voodoo 2 12MB PCI
and it works.

Dave2001 also tryied it on his Voodoo 3 PCI but it just gave a black screen...

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
Actually, it gives me a black screen, too. I was just thanking you for trying to help. :p

I have a Voodoo Banshee 16MB PCI.

And those SSB shots don't look too bad...

Dave2001

This would be the MOST useful debugging tool, since I can't use MSVC++'s debuger in fullscreen mode. Why is it that nothing I need will ever work??? When I use this dll, it runs, but IN FULLSCREEN. I am positive it is looking in the right directory, I am running from PJ64's dir & not from vc++. I put the Glide3x.dll in the PJ64 dir, set 'fullscreen on rom load', ran a game, and voila! the game runs just as it did before.
(& also I know it's using it because it quits on exiting fullscreen b/c of an error)

Cyberman

Dave2001 said:
This would be the MOST useful debugging tool, since I can't use MSVC++'s debuger in fullscreen mode. Why is it that nothing I need will ever work??? When I use this dll, it runs, but IN FULLSCREEN. I am positive it is looking in the right directory, I am running from PJ64's dir & not from vc++. I put the Glide3x.dll in the PJ64 dir, set 'fullscreen on rom load', ran a game, and voila! the game runs just as it did before.
(& also I know it's using it because it quits on exiting fullscreen b/c of an error)

Hmmm thinking about using that Glide3 to D3d program so that you can test your plugin in a window?

As for actually coding something that passes API information.. I know the GLIDE hardware sets the pixel buffer differently for 3d rendering so to allow the standard API drawing while you filtered Glide commands before passing them to Glide probably won't work it will give you weird data on the screen. If not then just translating the screen coordinates and using the Windows drivers in the background would work. You would have to stop the Glide rendering when the window was minimized however, probably stop the game too.

Cyb

Reznor007

Dave2001 said:

I think the WinGlide program is hard coded to read the framebuffer from a V1/V2 add-on board, so I doubt it will work with V3, Banshee, and newer because they use a shared memory pool.

LoneRaven

Glide64 Website Guy
Isn't eVoodoo a glide wrapper? Dave said that Glide64 will never support using a glide wrapper. :plain:

Status
Not open for further replies.