What's new

Quad Core Support?

PdZ

Hello dear users of this forum,

I was really surprised when i saw, that a dual core 64 Bit Version of Doplphin came out. I installed Windows XP x64 on my machine and tried to play SSBM with this new Beta 3 (x64). The Speed compared to the speed on my Win32xp is far better, but i dont really own a Dual Core. I own a Quad Core 2,4 Ghz with and HD X2900 ATI Radeon. So is there any possibility of geting a Quad Core Version of Dolphin in the future? I Really want to make clear, that i respect your work deep within my big Nintendo heart and usually dont want to ask such things. Only want to know if there is a plan to do such a version to satisfy my heart :D

thanx in advance

(btw: My english is bad, I know. Pls dont lecture me, because iam from Germany)

greets to the emulation team and keep up the fantastic work.
If only I could code such things...

LelandStanford

On that note, is there any chance for Dolphin's source code to be released? More heads working on one project = faster development.

OP
P

PdZ

I think we had that topic already discussed. Source Code = Stolen by profit gays and the majority of coder in this world are not interrested in coding a emulator for such a complicated console :(

This is sad. But THIS already existing advantage of using 2 Cores in the actual version gave me hope! And iam so, so so glad, that this came out.

You Coders are greater than the word great can discribe

I love you! ( but iam not gay )

LelandStanford

I think we had that topic already discussed. Source Code = Stolen by profit gays and the majority of coder in this world are not interrested in coding a emulator for such a complicated console :(

What kind of profit is there to lose? There isn't a commercial market for these emulators (with that one time exception of bleem, which ran into major legal issues).

Toasty

Sony battery
I don't think we'll be seeing a quad-core version in the near future. Emulation is a complex task on its own, and separating it into multiple independent tasks is far from trivial. At this point, there are relatively few people using quad-core CPUs too, so the move would not benefit a high percentage of users. Bare in mind that simply because you have a quad-core CPU does not mean that a dual-threaded application won't work on it. It will still run on your CPU just as fast as it would on a dual-core running at the same speed as yours - possibly even slightly faster since OS overhead and what not can be run on the other two cores.

It's the Dolphin team's business whether the project goes open source or not. Even if it doesn't, I'm sure the team would probably make source code available to anyone who demonstrated the skill, trustworthiness and desire to help out.

Drizen

On that note, is there any chance for Dolphin's source code to be released? More heads working on one project = faster development.

I second this notion. As complicated as the GameCube's inner workings are, this emulator needs all the help it can get, and Dolphin isn't getting many updates often enough. I'd really like to play my GC games in HD resolutions at reasonable framerates sometime in the near-future. It is entirely up to the team though, and I am thankful that they have done as much as they have thus far.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Open source isn't the only way to get developers to work on it. If a develop is interested and proves their skill, they might just be let in despite it not being open source.

Knuckles

"Quad" core support is an option a far future. Thing is, atm , dual core splits the Core (CPU) and the video in 2 threats. One gets on Core 1, 1 gets on Core 2. We only get a little speed improvement since the Core only will take all the 1st core to run, while the video will have all the ressources he wants on the 2nd one.

The main bottleneck is the core, it can't be divided in multiple threats to be on multiple CPUs. Meaning whatever the numbers of core you have, there would almost be nothing on it (video, DSP, inputs. etc). So even if the Core is alone on 1 core..it will still get stuck there so the speed will be limited.

ector

Emulator Developer
Quad cores will likely run Dolphin very slightly faster than dual cores, because the (very cheap) audio emulation can run on core #3. Don't buy a quad just for dolphin :p

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
I second this notion. As complicated as the GameCube's inner workings are, this emulator needs all the help it can get, and Dolphin isn't getting many updates often enough. I'd really like to play my GC games in HD resolutions at reasonable framerates sometime in the near-future. It is entirely up to the team though, and I am thankful that they have done as much as they have thus far.
But open source doesn't mean more updates, it mostly doesn't even mean more people are working on...
Just look at GCemu, GCube or dolwin! They are all Open Source, but there also are no helpers or updates!