What's new

Zelda Ocarina bug? Can't trigger key

jjrs

I'm at the beginning of the game, in the Deku tree, in the room where the raft swings under a rotating, spiky log. Its the part of the game where I need to swim to an underwater keystone that will lower the water level and allow me to pass under the log.

But no matter what I do, I can't trigger the key. I've swum over it and dived at it at every angle, but nothing seems to move it. Is this an emulation problem, or a standard gameplay problem?

Edit- I'm trying to bypass the problem by getting over the water with teh hover boots cheat, but I cant get it to work. When I press L nothing happens outside of the standard gameplay. On top of that, my computer starts giving me multiple error messages, and urges me to re-start the emulator.

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
I suggest you stay away from cheats or at least use them sparingly, as they are known to break games quite easily.

As for your gameplay problem, I don't remember having any issues with it, but I also don't remember the room you speak of. Have you checked GameFAQs?

Last edited:

ethangilchrist

Naughty Little Rat
With regards to the cheat, are you pressing the key you mapped the L button to or the actual L key on the keyboard? Dumb question I know but I've actually done that myself. Heh. (You should be pressing whatever key you mapped to the L button to.)

OP
J

jjrs

I checked a game play walk through, and it looks even worse...it says the key should activate just by swimming over it! I hate to use a cheat, but the game just doesnt seem to work.

Yeah, I hit the key triggered to L...I even hit the actual L key just to be safe! Still no go.

What does the hover cheat look like when you do it? When I hit L, i just get a little map on the bottom right hand screen showing where I am. I dont see any indication the system even acknowledges the cheat.

Allnatural

Have you been using save states regularly? It's possible that you're playing from a corrupted save, which can cause all kinds of strange behavior. The fix would be to play from a native save.

psyren

You can't activate that switch just by swimming over it.

Once you are over it, (you'll see the black spot of your shadow over it) press the "B" button (by default) to dive down and it will work.