What's new

Some sound problems (crackling)

ctatumt

Well on pretty much every game the sound crackles and slows down the game. The only way to have the game run at full speed is to use the "No Sound" plugin... which is no fun! I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on what the problem may be

here's my specs(not that great i know...)

System Information
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.70GHz
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Physical RAM: 640MB
Virtual Memory: 2047MB

Video Information
Video Card: HIS ATI X700 ICQ
Video Memory: 128.0 MB
Chip Type: ATI X700

Audio Information
Audio Device: Sound Blaster 24bit Live!
Default Sound Playback: true
Default Voice Playback: true

thanks!

ethangilchrist

Naughty Little Rat
Probably a dumb question but I'll ask the obvious right off. Have you tried using the "Sync to audio" option in the Audio settings?

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Yeah, Make sure twice that "sync to audio" is not effecting the issue, but also, a more obscure cause of this problem is the buffer size in the audio plugins settings. Some plugins may not allow you to customize this, but your audio drivers may favor more or less than the default so if you find one that does (most likely the one that your using now does) try messing with it a bit.

Also, you have the same sound card i used to have, so interesting that your having a problem.

p_025

Voted Least Likely to Succeed
I'd say the most likely cause of the problem is the speed of that CPU. Make sure you've got full hardware acceleration on for your sound card. If not, the sound emulation is probably putting too much strain on that CPU.

I played PJ64 on an Athlon XP (1.6GHz) with 512MiB RAM and it didn't work too well. I don't know if Intel architecture is better for PJ64, but it might not make much of a difference. Or it may just be the sound card, though I somewhat doubt that.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help. I've never had sound slowing down the emu. I got my Sound Blaster X-Fi before I started using PJ64. It's usually been video slowing me down. :p