What's new

hard drive partition

mesman00

What's that...?
i wanna partition my harddirve so i can have windows and linux. can someone explain to me how i can go about doing this, soi don't screw up!

Redah

Go Sweden! Not!
Administrator
Allnatural said:
It's not the easiest way by any stretch, but I like getting my hands dirty, so I use FDISK.:cool:

FDISK is damn easy. If you think FDISK is hard you seriously need to brush up on your PC skills :)

FDISK is, in fact, the easiest partitioning program around, it asks a whole lot less questions than PartitionMagic does.

The only 'dirty' thing about FDISK is it will destroy all data.

Allnatural

Redah said:

FDISK is damn easy. If you think FDISK is hard you seriously need to brush up on your PC skills :)

FDISK is, in fact, the easiest partitioning program around, it asks a whole lot less questions than PartitionMagic does.

I've never used anything but FDISK, but so many people have told me that Partition Magic (and programs like it) are easier.

I should stop listening to people.:plain2:

I just assumed that FDISK was harder.:innocent:

Remote

Redah said:

Hilarious, and true. However popular distrubutions, such as Redhat, comes with graphical install interfaces which takes a way a lot of the overhead...

OP
mesman00

mesman00

What's that...?
ok, now that everyone has told me to use FDISK:
1. is it freeware
2. if so, where can i get it

also, get me if i'm wrong, but Linux is freeware, right? And if so, does anyone know where i can grag a copy of that as well.

Last edited:

Allnatural

mesman00 said:
ok, now that everyone has told me to use FDISK:
1. is it freeware
2. if so, where can i get it

also, get me if i'm wrong, but Linux is freeware, right? And if so, does anyone know where i can grag a copy of that as well.
1. Yes

2. You'll find it on just about any DOS boot disk. Check www.bootdisk.com

For Linux isos, one place (of many) is www.linuxiso.org :)

Last edited:

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
Mesman : Linux is not a freeware, it is an open source unix-like kernel. Everyone can contribute to it. Linux distributions are a set of software generally (but not necessary) open source.

My suggestion is the Mandrake 8.2 distribution but it is your choice.

If you still don't know how to split your hard drive in two partition and don't want to lose your data, can you post your current os, if you are using fat32 or ntfs partitions (it is possible to resize fat32 partitions but i don't know if it is possible with ntfs ones or maybe with partition magic ?)

OP
mesman00

mesman00

What's that...?
hey Hacktarux and AllNatural, thanks for the responses and links and such, and everyone else as well.

Hacktarux, my specs are in my profile, and im running fat32 o nwin98. but, i need to format my HD anyways because i wanna update to win2k, so i don't care about losing my info, i will just back up what i need first.