What's new

How to uninstall WINDOWS XP pro

Josep

eyerun4phun
Ok, i had a clean install of winxp pro on hard drive C, then i didn't want to use that hard drive anymore, too slow(2500rpms), SO i reinstalled winxp pro on my D drive. Now everything runs MUCH better suprisingly, oo i love it;) BUT how do i get rid of winxp pro on my C drive? The slow hard drive? I don't want anything on that hard drive, cause its annoying to start up with selecting 2 different os's, that are really the same os;) help someone

2fast4u

afaik the only way is to format the whole damn hard drive. thatll do it. just remember to backup if u have stuff on it.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Yeah, um you have to delete the OS on both HDs and reinstall on the one you want. Alternatively, you can delete all the files & folders except for the ones in the root directory on the C drive and then right click on My computer, click properties and then search around till you find the boot up options (not exactly sure where it is, but its there somewhere) and remove the option for the one from the C drive, then the OS select screen will not appear.

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
er thanks, eagle BUT having trouble finding where the boot up option is;) if you could, hehe, tell me how to get to that point;)

Eagle

aka Alshain
Umm, Its on one of the tabs after right clicking on my computer and clicking properties. If I remember right, you have to click a command button and it opens a new dialog box and then you can choose to edit the options for dual boot systems. I can't give specific details cause I don't have an XP system available.

Gorxon

Administrator
Umm, Its on one of the tabs after right clicking on my computer and clicking properties. If I remember right, you have to click a command button and it opens a new dialog box and then you can choose to edit the options for dual boot systems. I can't give specific details cause I don't have an XP system available.

OR, look in boot.ini on your C: drive.....just remember to take a backup before editing. And don't hold me responsible if you mess up :sly:

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
thanks, cause with the windows help it has a real bogus explanation of how to uninstall it;) Go to add or remove programs and select windows xp;)

n64kirby

There is one other way. Like they said, format your C:, but make a copy of your boot.ini file to the D: drive and edit the thing so that it will only have one OS specified in the active partition that you want to use. The boot.ini file should be located somewhere in the root dir of C:. If not, then look in C:\Windows.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Its better to have your faster/bigger HD as the C: drive anyway. I'd reccomend rearranging them and then just format and reinstall XP.