What's new

Logitech Dual Action not working

Hi,

I know that this is a very frequent question on this form but I can't find the solution among the already existing projects.

I use Windows XP Media Center, AMD x2 Processor.

Project64 runs very good, superbe! But I can't connect my Logitech Dual Action gamepads to Project64. I installed the newest Logitech drivers and calibrated the pads. When I use them for example Virtua Tennis 3 the gamepads are working fine.

In Project64 I choose for the Jabo input plugin, I can choose one of the Dual Action Gamepads(I bought two:)to play mario kart with my girlfriend). I can configurate the settings opf the buttons, it looks like the pads are not responding. I also tried the Nrage plugin but this is also not working.

Can somebody please help me?

Regards,

Tim

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
To be blunt, there have been many similar gripes from many users with the Logitech Dual Action gamepad in the past. No matter what emulator, either the buttons, D-Pad or the axes simply won't register. At all. I don't remember if these issues were ever solved.

I personally use a Logitech Rumblepad 2 and I've never had any problem with it.

OP
T

twilsens

Tim
Yes the controller plugged in is checked and it is still not working, grrrrr

Also the normal buttons are not registering

Tre

Oops. Died again.
Try the calibration utility to see if the controller is even acknowledging button presses (it's in Control Panel). If the buttons aren't working there, unplug the controller and plug it back in to see about "resetting" it. If THAT doesn't work for you still, then you might want to look for a new controller, as you already tried the newest drivers. It's just one of those controllers that really doesn't work too well.

OP
T

twilsens

Tim
that is also not working. Via the Logitech Profiler the buttons are responding.

I am thinking of buying new controllers. Wich one can I buy the best?

Tre

Oops. Died again.
So the built-in Windows game pads profile isn't working, but the profile Logitech has installed is. This seems to me as if it's not working correctly with Direct X... which is why it's not working for you (and 90% of the people wanting to use it for PJ64 and other emulators).

As for controller recommendations... I use a Playstation 2, Dual Shock controller with a PSX to USB adapter. This is idea for me, as I never really outgrew the old Snes and PSx layout of controllers, and don't want to change controller styles now. But you might want to try an N64 controller (or even Gamecube) and the adapter that will switch it readily to USB input. It's easy enough to find them, and if you already have N64 controllers you won't even need to buy new ones. They'll work rather well with the default plugins, as well as N-Rage's plugin... which I use for my PS2 profile.

Hope that helps you.

OP
T

twilsens

Tim
sorry I think I didn't understand you. When I installed the Gamepads I got the Logitech calibration and there all the buttons are responding. Where can I find the windows built inn configuration utlity? cause I have nothing in my config screen of windows.

thanks for your quick reply

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
DISABLE THE LOGITECH PROFILER

in my experience, it usually prevents the control from working properly.. unless you set it up properly.. which in most cases, is never.

OP
T

twilsens

Tim
Yes but also with the Logitech Profiler disabled I can not register buttons with the Jabo or Nrage plugin. I have the newest versions of both also tried earlier versions

Tre

Oops. Died again.
Glad to hear that the problem is solved. Though to clearify for you for future issues...

To access WINDOWS "Game Controllers" (to calibrate and configure your controllers), you will want to either go straight to "Control Panel" if it's in your start menu, or go to "My Computer" followed by "Control Panel" (either IN the "My computer" list of locations, or under "Other Places" in the left-side panel) and then you will see "Game Controllers".

From there, you can click on controllers that Windows recognizes and are plugged in either by double-clicking the name listed in the "Controller" pane, or by clicking it once and then using "Properties" to open it. You'll see options to test the buttons, and Calibrate (or on rumble controllers, a "Rumble" option). THIS is the profile I was talking about, and is the only real way to be 100% sure a controller is going to work well with Direct X applications.

So you might want to try out those Dual-Actions anyway, just so you might have extra controllers for four-player games, or as backups. Just remember that Squall is right that you will need to DISABLE Logitech's profiler... it conflicts with Direct X... trust him, he knows what he's talking about in these matters.

Do that, and you can use the crappy controller correctly. :)

squall_leonhart

Tre, stop sucking up LOL

but yes, the profiler actually intercepts the calls so it can replace keystrokes and stuff with its own.

i have no idea, actually, how it manages to read a programs exe then show what functions you can actually register a button to :\

Tre

Oops. Died again.
Glad to see you still have the same sense of humor, Squall. Did I miss much while I was dead? :p

As for the profiler, I think it's doing the same thing my ancient "Gamepad Pro Blue" by Logitech used to do... because that had a profiler too, and it didn't work right even in Zsnes.

squall_leonhart

rotfl
i did get it working with Starlancer.. but then i dumped it coz i hated the profiler anyway :p

i really need a new Forcefeedback compatible stick to use with starlancer ^^.... i tried using my xbox control and it just didn't feel right :\

i had it setup like this

Left Trigger Main Guns
Right Trigger missiles
Left stick normal movement
Right stick was either Acceleration/Deceleration and Roll or maybe Strafe
Dpad was POV
and the other buttons were just tracking functions and weapon switching.... but it just didn't feel right :\... ya know... lol.

Tre

Oops. Died again.
With an X-Box 360 controller it might feel better (especially how the digital pad is below the left analog... might make it easier)... though for me, it'd be perfect with the PS2 controller... but that's because I'm clinically insane from eating too much Pez and watching too much Animaniacs.