What's new

Skies in PD and GE in Glide64!

Legend

That's right!! The brilliant coder Gonetz has emulated the skies perfectly for GE and PD in his HLE plugin Glide64!! It's in beta now and no telling when the public release is going to be but when it does come out, this is gonna be massive. Not too many games left for this plugin to perfect. :cheers:

Look at the screens at the bottom of the page: http://www.emuxhaven.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5499&page=29

EDIT: I can't believe I misspelled Glide64 in the title. I have'nt found a way to edit it. Oh well.

Last edited:

Iconoclast

Legend said:
ZOMG the sky!! :) WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO spam, this is going to be HUGE! Perfect plugin!!!
Skies are fun, but booting games and loading graphics that other plugins don't is even funner. :p So while you're busy attracting attention over real plugin news, just keep in mind that Rice's already loads the sky for like everything once configured properly.

There's more to emulation than just the sky, unless you're just trying to hypnotize/**** everyone here with some ad that the other plugins don't show off. While Jabo's busy privately fixing things like the MK64 tunnel header, you're busy making even more public notices about things like the sky taking away end user sight from all the other issues in the other games. :D "Woo, GL is unplayable, but just look at the sky in PD!"
Not too many games left for this plugin to perfect.
Maybe if you stare at the sky all day. The plugin is about as perfect as the other two major plugins; you're just tired of realizing it.

Last edited:
OP
Legend

Legend

Well, I'm not gonna respond like I was before I read your PM but I will say this.
This IS a big achievement, albeit a small thing. How many times have people asked about the sky in those 2 games? Now we have a plugin that does the sky perfect and with perfect speed AND emulates the rest of the game perfect as well. I don't know, I think this is neat and I'm just glad that N64 emulation is still so active!

As far as I've heard, Rice's still does'nt do the sky completely accurately, but I may be wrong. And not even Jabo has accomplished this feat yet. Ziggy's done a good job with this but obviously the game is slow with the LLE plugin.

Just because other plugins can boot some titles that Glide64 can't doesn't mean those game are even playable. If you look at the games Glide64 does boot, Gonetz has really tried to perfect them and emulate everything properly. Just browse through that screenshot section to see that. So many games and almost every one is near perfect. He IS running out of bootable games to perfect.

But I DO NOT want to argue about this. Let's just have our own opinions on Glide64.

Last edited:

Clements

Ya, Rice's Video does not correctly emulate the sky texture in Goldeneye - it was just the first plugin to display the texture (albeit incorrectly). Glide64 is the first to get it correct. This particular texture has pretty much eluded authors of plugins since the beginning, so this is news. Even the sea shows quite a bit of progress that I don't recall seeing in any other plugin.

olivieryuyu

Well, I'm not gonna respond like I was before I read your PM but I will say this.
This IS a big achievement, albeit a small thing. How many times have people asked about the sky in those 2 games? Now we have a plugin that does the sky perfect and with perfect speed AND emulates the rest of the game perfect as well. I don't know, I think this is neat and I'm just glad that N64 emulation is still so active!

As far as I've heard, Rice's still does'nt do the sky completely accurately, but I may be wrong. And not even Jabo has accomplished this feat yet. Ziggy's done a good job with this but obviously the game is slow with the LLE plugin.

Just because other plugins can boot some titles that Glide64 can't doesn't mean those game are even playable. If you look at the games Glide64 does boot, Gonetz has really tried to perfect them and emulate everything properly. Just browse through that screenshot section to see that. So many games and almost every one is near perfect. He IS running out of bootable games to perfect.

But I DO NOT want to argue about this. Let's just have our own opinions on Glide64.

You are right Legend. Glide64 is a extremely compatible plugin. And yes Rice only emulated partially the sky with a hack.

I don t want to argue as well to know which is the best plugin. Each plugin deserves our respect for the work that his author accomplish to create and improve it.

:)

BTW Legend Mario Party 3 gfx issues are gone with current beta ;-)

mudlord

Banned
Oh, I came by for a brief moment before my major IT exams today, and I see this....:angry:

Okay....from the top:

Skies are fun, but booting games and loading graphics that other plugins don't is even funner. So while you're busy attracting attention over real plugin news, just keep in mind that Rice's already loads the sky for like everything once configured properly.

There's more to emulation than just the sky, unless you're just trying to hypnotize/**** everyone here with some ad that the other plugins don't show off. While Jabo's busy privately fixing things like the MK64 tunnel header, you're busy making even more public notices about things like the sky taking away end user sight from all the other issues in the other games. "Woo, GL is unplayable, but just look at the sky in PD!"

Part of emulation is discovering new things. You might not be aware, but that sky is a microcode issue. Gonetz has made a important discovery here, no matter how small. Its actions like his that should be applauded, and not debated over. You are not thinking of the ramifications of this. AFAIK, Gonetz has been kind in giving out the code. With this, other authors can improve thier plugins too, since they can see how things work and make thier own solutions to thier own plugin's problems.

Indeed, any discovery, no matter how small, is important. This issue has been a major issue in the past, and I am very happy it has been put to bed how it exactly works. I'm sure other plugin authors might feel the same way, so Gonetz deserves a hell of a lot of kudos for his discoveries in N64 HLE emulation.

You seem to consider things like, "higher texture quality", and, more frame buffer emulation, blue skies, and not even look at playability, except when you consider quality and playability the same thing, and the other missing textures and slower speeds in say Banjo-Tooie and Gauntlet Legends. You want to see the jigsaw effect in Jiggywiggy's challenges done perfectly? Use glN64, not Glide64, and you see HWFBE done at 60 VI/s, jigsaw pieces textured perfectly. Every other plugin fails at this area of the game. And Gauntlet Legends? Where's the GUI, huh? Talk about "Playable" for those two games, that compat list, and I can list more games with issues with Glide64 not occuring in Rice's or Jabo's, but I won't in this thread. You should've replied to me in private.

Isnt emulation accuracy a part of playability? I do not want to side with the MAME crowd here too much, but accuracy is a important part of playability. Generally, the more accurate emulation is, the better the gameplay experience, and the more playable the game is. However, sometimes accuracy comes at a cost and sometimes its not true that accuracy in all cases = slow execution speed.

Case in point: Kega Fusion.

thats all I'm gonna say.
Ciao.

Clements

As mudlord said, this is a microcode issue that Rice worked around with a hack (imperfectly). Glide64 emulates the effect correctly, and no other currently available plugin does. Enable LOD Texture does not fix the effect. Screenshots of Rice (Left) and Glide64 (Right) for comparison:

OP
Legend

Legend

Nobody waste any time arguing with Icono. He's talks about others being close-minded, but he's more guilty of that than anybody. He dislikes Glide64 so much that he comes in here, guns blazing, to disparage this terrific plugin when all I'm trying to do is share what Gonetz just accomplished. Icono, the way you speak about Glide64 is really shocking. It's like you've NEVER used it.

BTW Legend Mario Party 3 gfx issues are gone with current beta ;-)

I know. :) All 3 Mario Parites are perfect now. That's right Icono, I said PERFECT!!!! :naughty:

OP
Legend

Legend

You're a joke Icono. There's no need to start bashing me for this or my opinions toward PJ64 and Glide64. Just chill out and let people say nice things about Glide64 without jumping to compare it to your plugin of choice, Rice's. Maybe someday, you'll come to appreciate Glide64...though you will have to give it a chance first.

Besides, I thought we had finally come to an understanding of one another and decided to be civil. I guess I was wrong, given you have really gone after me in this thread. Oh well, no matter. You no longer get to me, actually I find you rather amusing. You get ever so upset for no reason whatsoever.

EDIT: Wow I just read your edit.
@Legend: Save your breath, dude, you're on my ignore list. LLE is to Jabo as loading the sky is to Gonetz; all the authors work hard, so accept that Glide64 sucks when you advertise it. Leave it to experts if you want people to see exactly why it can actually compete with the other plugins: It's a whole new method of emulating graphics, in terms of HLE, but still falls to Rice's and Jabo's features, just like vice versa. Accept it or not, don't care, just die, man, you suck. Silly rodent, emulation's for rabbits. :D

You want me dead, I suck?!! You're really kinda sick Icono and you not making yourself look good to others here I don't think.

And I can't believe what you're saying about Glide64 and Gonetz. Wow! You really could'nt make yourself look more stupid and ignorant with those comments. I don't even know what to say. Wow!

Last edited:

Clements

Level in screenshot was Frigate. Rice's Video does not emulate the sky correctly in Dam either, although the glitch is less obvious. The texture shrinks and contorts when you look up and down, and this does not happen on the real N64.

Iconoclast

All this entertainment sure is fun to ignore. :)

So anyway, thank you mudlord and Clements for remaining civil. I gotta try Glide64 out some more; the sky...no plugin does it correctly then? Perhaps none of the graphics plugins will ever win the war as to which is best, and I prefer it that way. :) Teamwork, that's all that's stopping them. Not to say there isn't a Glide64 team, a Rice's Video development contributions crew, and a Project64 beta forum, but emulation isn't a contest, despite some arrogant people who try to make it otherwise, it's a game. :)

I gotta take this plugin out for some more spins.

Edit: OH, Frigate! Still looks hard to recall in that viewpoint, but...yeah. So yeah, I was lazy and only tested the damn level.

OP
Legend

Legend

You must be mad Icono to say that I was not civil and arrogant in this thread. You have said nothing but terrible things about me and Glide64 this entire time and for absolutely no reason. You made yoursels look foolish. And then you end by saying that you need to spend more time with Glide64, my god, you make yourself look so ignorant. Yeah, about you do spend some time with this plugin before you bash the hell out of it and it's author. Christ!!

OP
Legend

Legend

Funny how most peoples here got problems with you Icono

Have you read this thread dude!! No one had problems until Icono went on the offensive full force and start saying unfair things constantly! Open your eyes!

Iconoclast

Well, Zaba, after those two posts of his, whatever it was that he was trying to say, it looks like you're singled out. :D

You all hate doctors; I listen to you people for problems you notice in me, we all should be doctors, instead of eurymetheuses...pah, Greek.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Can you please quit with this attitude and stay on-topic? I will try to not be offended by the last sentence of Icono here either (the one about Greeks).

This is supposed to be a Progress Report Thread and not a reason to start arguing so (I repeat) try to stay on-topic. OK?

Good to see Glide64 progressing so nicely. Even Mischief Makers has almost perfect GFX on some levels that previously had messed textures, let alone the rest fixes. Impressive indeed. Can't wait until next version is finally out. :)

Iconoclast

Whoa no no, the "pah, Greek" interjective was more of a spelling thing, cause I'm not sure I spelled it right, not like that; Greeks are cool. Just don't ban me. Also yeah, they're cool. :ph34r: *tries to be on-topic at the same time*

Also, don't know why Gonetz didn't get a screenshot of this, but they fixed the sky in Sin and Punishment, too, which appears fine in Rice's - at first glance - till you see a bunch of flickering triangles zipping by in a second.

Edit: Clements, XD I think the reason I couldn't recognize it is because the water looks like grass..

Last edited:

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Bah! The "s" I had on "Greeks" on my previous post was a typo. :getlost:
The bastard who invented that "all Greek to me" stuff should be shot. What's Greek compared to Latin or Japanese? Anyway, I'm not in ban mode at the moment so you should be safe... for now :p

I wonder if Ziggy's LLE plugin helped Gonetz HLE the sky on these games. It should be great help on similar cases...

Rice

Emulator Developer
The sky in GE and PD was rendered by an special ucode. I managed to load the sky texture in my plugin, but didn't successfully decode all the necessary information in the ucode to draw the sky box. Rendering of sky in my plugin was not correct, was just better than not drawing a blur color rectangle.

Congratulation to Gonetz to figure out the ucode.