What's new

An explanation of Rice's video plugin?

Cerune

I'm trying to use a few retextures, like the zelda: ocarina of time hi-res and cell-shaded retextures, but they all seem to use Rice's Video Plugin, and I can't seem to find any instructions on where to get that plugin or how to run it. I'm not computer illiterate, but I'm clueless as far as how emulators, plugins, source code, and all of those things work. I've been unable to find any detailed instructions involving this sort of thing, so I would appreciate any sort of guidance in learning how to do.....whatever it is I have to do to retexture a game, in simple, easy to follow instructions such as "download these files, run this executable, select this option, put these files in this folder..." and so on. Thanks for your time, as this has been a rather frustrating problem for me.

Iconoclast

OP
C

Cerune

Thank you very much for the help. However, when I opened Project 64 and went into "settings" to select the video plugin, an error message appears that says "failed to load plugin:" and then states where it is located (in the plugins folder). Is this a common problem?

Iconoclast

Not if you used mudlord's installer.

If you downloaded it, then you need bmglib.dll, msvcp71.dll and msvcr71.dll in the same folder as the emulator exe. You can get these files at dll-files.com.

OP
C

Cerune

I'm sure I downloaded the exe (the installer), but since it isn't working I'll try the dll files just in case.

mudlord

Banned
I'm sure I downloaded the exe (the installer), but since it isn't working I'll try the dll files just in case.

...You'll need to acquire the MSVC2005 SP1 runtimes. Link is in my FAQ. Read over it next time, its there for a purpose..

OP
C

Cerune

I can't remember how, but I've somehow got it to work now (the msvc2005 file wasn't the problem), and through trial and error I think I've gotten all the files in the right spots, as I can see the text that says it's loading the hi-res textures, but now Project64 crashes whenever I try to run Zelda, giving no specific message except the generic windows "encountered an error and needs to shut down" message, right after the FPS begins to display. Any idea what's wrong this time? :(

mudlord

Banned
Hmmm,

I tested tex loading inside and out and it works for me. Originally, it wasnt working, but it should work 100% perfect now, as I managed to erase all the kinks on my end, and tex loading and dump works flawlessly for me....

OP
C

Cerune

Am I supposed to do anything in particular with the Rice's window that appears off to the side of the emulator? none of the many buttons seem to do anything, and I'm not sure what the check-boxes are for either. Perhaps I have some wrong settings here.

mudlord

Banned
Hmmm, sounds like you are using the debugger plugin :). Tex loading/dumping doesnt currently work right with it. You shouldn't be using the debugger plugin for playing games in general, its only useful for plugin debugging and other things.....

OP
C

Cerune

Ah, I see. Since the last time I tried it, I noticed the other plugins, selected the one marked stable, and now it works wonderfully! Thanks a lot for all your help and patience! ^_^

neutron

I'm having a slight problem with rice's plug in as well. i dl'ed the installer and let it do it's thing. it seems to work fine except when go into settings i get an error:

"Failed to load plug in:
C:\Program files\Project64 1.6\Plugin\RiceVideoStable.dll"

as i said, the plug in seems to work just fine by itself. anyone know what this error means and how i may be able to solve it? as well as what problems it may cause?

P4 1.7ghz
256MB RAM
Ge4 mx 440 64Mb
78.01 forceware driver(it's the latest that i've found signed, can't use unsigned driver)
Dx 9
XP pro Sp1

OP
C

Cerune

That's the exact problem I had a few posts ago, I'm trying to help a friend figure out how to do this too, but that's the part where I don't remember how I fixed it. If we figure it out, I'll post the solution.

mudlord

Banned
now it works wonderfully! Thanks a lot for all your help and patience! ^_^

Thank you ^_^. Your kindness really makes me happy inside that my work is appreciated. I don't hear kind words much, but thankyou! You really lightened up my day ^_^.

"Failed to load plug in:
C:\Program files\Project64 1.6\Plugin\RiceVideoStable.dll"

It sounds like you don't have the MSVC2005 SP1 runtimes installed. Thats one of the major reasons why sometimes the plugin will not load.