What's new

is there a difference in performance between Windows XP and 98 when using PJ64?

petronius79

I was compelled as a new PC buyer to have Windows XP (without the Windows XP CD!), though I preferred Windows 98.

My PC configuration is the following:
Celeron 1 GHZ, 128 MB RAM, AC97 Audio, some VIA integrated video card with an S3 chip using 8 MB System RAM, 18 GB disk.

I'm running PJ64 flawlessly with the newest video card drivers if you consider the quality of the card. Previously all games used to hang for some seconds, now only WWF No Mercy does this.

But would PJ64 perform better under Windows 95/98 which require less resources?

I mean would it have a higher framerate in general?

Pro

TSA Agent
I think there was a quite crowded thread about this half or about a year ago - not sure about the verdict though. If someone (some mod or Martin) could find it, dust it and link it to here, that might help you, but I don't think it's very probable.

Last edited:

Slougi

Well I am using dual-boot atm and sometimes test cheats under Win98 as well (The mem handling is slightly different and the addresses might be a few hex off). I usually get around 10% better performance under Win98.

neoak

Triforce of Something...
All begin with a Celeron. 128kB of Cache (With L1 plus L2). Pentium 1 has 512Kb (mine does @ 200 Mhz MMX). P2 the same. P3 the same and P4 again.(Xeons have 1MB Cache or even 2MB cahce, but PJ 64 dont use it.)

I dont know anything about AMDs... Please confirm. (I only know that the Duron is better than a Celeron).

Smiff

Emutalk Member
IMHO a few percentage points are irrelevant considering that Windows 5+ (2k, XP) work properly (things don't randomly go wrong, or at least very rarely) and Windows 4 and below (98, ME etc.) don't (things go wrong for no apparent reason, often). If people see significant differences in performance that's likely due to their hardware and the OS (i.e. drivers) not PJ64.

i have to say that with being on dual boot i found there were some slight stability issues i had with Windows 98, but XP is pretty much flawless (id put this down to smiff being the bigcheese tester guy who has win2k)... as for speed, with a 1ghz+ chip you dont really notice the difference between the two operating systems anyways, cept that xp is is more stable (with the possible exception of the gui which can be a bitch)...

so yeah id say go for xp, its that bit more reliable :)

Slougi

well I don't have stability issues under win98fe at all, which is kinda peculiar as win98se crashes every 2 hours. anyway i get around 10 fps more there, for example Goldeneye is playable on Win98 but nowhere near playable on xp.

Agent J

I had an opposite experience, win98fe always crashed, but win98se doesn't crash, but then, win98fe never froze, but win98se freezes sometimes which is so annoying!!!

But IMHO, Win 98 would run games better than XP because win 98 min req. is 16 MB RAM, but XP min req. is 128 MB RAM, so XP usues up about 8 times more RAM..

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Well, if I were to guess, you'd get more speed under w98 with your specs, since XP consumes more ram, which makes there less avilable to pj.
However, w98 seems to randomly crash for no apparent reason (as smiff said). So, I'd go for XP, and get a little more ram.

6tree

Strange.. I have fps about 50-60 in winME but in winXP 200-300.
Not tested any other emu but pj64 in XP.

Doomulation

6tree said:
Strange.. I have fps about 50-60 in winME but in winXP 200-300.
Not tested any other emu but pj64 in XP.
Yeah, it's strange, but we also know that, of some reason, ME doesn't like pj. Or maybe the other way. But I can't see that that's a reason for it.

Doomulation

6tree said:
I thought it was xp doing something to pj. Getting it show too high numbers or something.
Nah, I don't think so. I use XP myself, y'know. But maybe it is 'cuz you had limit FPS on under w98?

6tree

Doomulation said:

Nah, I don't think so. I use XP myself, y'know. But maybe it is 'cuz you had limit FPS on under w98?

oh ill explain. generally i have fps about 50-60 in most games under ME, all fps are without limiter. But in for example in super mario it can be over 100 something. And i was only testing how pj runs in xp and most likely, i dont remember, i tested only super mario and got the fps mentioned above.

There is a great performance increase if the numbers really are right. And i say it really was between 200 and 300, the fps.

I have quite the same specs as you but 256 mb ram an gf2 ti

Doomulation

6tree said:

oh ill explain. generally i have fps about 50-60 in most games under ME, all fps are without limiter. But in for example in super mario it can be over 100 something. And i was only testing how pj runs in xp and most likely, i dont remember, i tested only super mario and got the fps mentioned above.

There is a great performance increase if the numbers really are right. And i say it really was between 200 and 300, the fps.

I have quite the same specs as you but 256 mb ram an gf2 ti
I don't really get that you can get such high speeds, but this really isn't an issue or somethin' bad, so we don't need to discuss 'bout it.

But then... :plain2: that was just my guess.

RJA

The PC Wiz
Agent 3,

Correction, Windows XP min requirement is 64 MB of RAM
128 MB is what Microsoft recommends however.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
having a higher min. requirement. doesn't make something slower... if you have enough RAM you have enough RAM... i've always found Win2k fastest, probably due to better memory management & multitasking (than 9x) XP i don't like cos it's trying to be too "clever" for me

6tree

Doomulation said:

I don't really get that you can get such high speeds, but this really isn't an issue or somethin' bad, so we don't need to discuss 'bout it.

But then... :plain2: that was just my guess.

Look at this. No manipulation on the picture.

Yoshi

sympathetic dinosaur
I have a lot of performance issues in widows xp. For example, Mario 64 have an average speed of 30-40.
I have a p3 700 mhz, 256mb ram and a ge-force3.

Last edited: