What's new

dual core or ht support?

the master 123

I don't know if this is been ask and won't be of much use in but does anyone know if any 64 emulator(hopefully project 64 will have that since I use to it interface) has or will have in the close future support for multhreading. I know that this for the most part isn't useful but is it a possibility.

Toasty

Sony battery
Multi-threading a single-threaded job is usually a pretty big pain, so I kinda doubt we'll see it for N64 emulators, since there are very few dual-processor machines that are too slow to run single-threaded N64 emulators. If LLE turns into a big hit that may change though, since its processing requirements are rather high compared to HLE.

OP
T

the master 123

I can easily see that my processor as been known to reach up to 500fps on project 64 fps counter. What is the difference between lle and hle.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
LLE is the regular method of emulation, i.e. emulating the target hardware as accurately as possible, down to every single instruction. This is slow.

HLE on the other hand sacrifices accurate emulation, by trying to "rewrite" parts of the original code on the fly with code native to PCs, instead of trying to interpret and translate every single instruction the target hardware/game has (as is, grab a bunch of instructions and code during operation, and immediately try to guess what that machine code would look like in the form that a PC can understand it, instead of going through the arduous process of translating every single instruction one by one like LLE does, with no guessing involved). This is a lot faster, but compatibility and accuracy are lower than when using LLE.

Mind you that this was a very dumbed down explanation.

Good examples of the differences between HLE and LLE are Rogue Squadron and Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine, both games which do not run on any N64 emulator as of now, but PJ64 1.7 has had success in emulating those thanks to LLE emulation. Far from perfect but still better than with the HLE emulation N64 emulators have now.

Last edited:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
HLE on the other hand sacrifices accurate emulation, by trying to "rewrite" parts of the original code on the fly with code native to PCs, instead of trying to interpret and translate every single instruction the target hardware/game has (as is, grab a bunch of instructions and code during operation, and immediately try to guess what that machine code would look like in the form that a PC can understand it, instead of going through the arduous process of translating every single instruction one by one like LLE does, with no guessing involved). This is a lot faster, but compatibility and accuracy are lower than when using LLE.

Slap me if I'm stupid but that sounds more like a recompiler.
Simply put HLE tries to mimick the desired output in any way it can (while LLE more accurately mimicks the HARDWARE). Many different of doing it, however. But HLE can use both a interpreter and a dynamic recompiler. CPU emulation is just one part of the whole thing, as well...

FloW3184

Emu_and_Mobile_Freak
Ziggy is going to optimize his Z64 rsp+gfx plugins to dualcore CPUs afaik.
It is a LLE gfx plugin, so this is needed for fullspeed even on a Core2Duo

OP
T

the master 123

what with that plugin would it take to run a standard game at 60 ivs(obibious a dual core but how powerful) and would a t2400 be enough.

FloW3184

Emu_and_Mobile_Freak
i dont know... try it!... if it now runs at nearly fullspeed now, then i would say: yes of course! But i dont know the speed of a t2400.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
The plugin isnn't optimized for Dual Core yet AFAIK!
Wait until it supports Dual Core first, then try!

OP
T

the master 123

For a previous poster the t2400(the processor in my sig) is a notebook dual core series processor that came out shortly before the intel dual core 2(My processor is call intel dual core t2400 which is at a 1.83 ghz clock) I was wanting guesses to if it would work at full speed with the processor and the plugin. I guess I just have to wait until the plugin that is multithread to come out so a can see for sure.

OP
T

the master 123

I like to play rogue syndaron but a current hle plugin has problem with this game(currently will have no problem with most game I play) but since in a previous post lle though take more processing power but might be able to play this at playable where the graphic glitch are unimportant. Also I don't alway at defeult setting have full speed(pokemon statium 2 menu slowdown but I think this is a problem of the emulator if I not mistaken).

okay I tried the experimental lle plugin that was mention on the page of project 64, The plugin is obibuios not ready as I was at 10fps but only using about 10-20%(using the video card in my sig) usage with it never using 50%(max for a single thread applaction) but could reach the 60fps need for the idea game play, My question for the most part is answer(I use I few games goldoneye was one of them but result were similar) and my processor should be able with the next verison of the lle with dual core support have no problem playing the 64 game that cause problem with the current plugins).

Last edited: