What's new

Chinese Zodiac

What's your zodiac sign on the Chinese Zodiac?

• Rat

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Ox

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Tiger

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rabbit

• Dragon

• Snake

• Horse

• Sheep

• Monkey

• Chicken

• Dog

• Pig

• Total voters

Iconoclast

Some years ago, I found out what a zodiac was. The first I discovered actually was the chinese version. I actually was inspired by its descriptions. While some of it sounds so unscientific and fairytalish to some, I thought all the animal descriptions actually matched the dispositions of those I know in real life with these descriptions. Doesn't mean I'm guaranteeing they will be true with you; just saying they haven't proved wrong so far.

Also, if you were born on January 1 to January 26, you are an exception to the calculations. You need to bump up the returned birthsign to the one above it to get your accurate sign. See this list. This is why I call this the restaurant version; they don't take the time to include some of the complications on your full chinese sign.

Anyway, file attached as an uncompressed zip archive for those curious. Details and sign descriptions can be found in the above link.

Edit: Except the description of my sign doesn't match me too well XD...probably because my parents were both born on enemy signs. They got a how-well-you-get-along-with-other-signs here.

Last edited:

mudlord

Banned
Looks ok.

However, you might want to run "strip -s" on the executable, if you used mingw as the compiler system....

Note: I have compiled a lighter version. Executable size is around 8.50KB, built using MSVC2005, no PE packers used. Enjoy.

Last edited:
OP
Iconoclast

Iconoclast

Yeah, I use Dev-C++, which seems to automatically compile and link for you. I personally don't like this; I prefer to get a linker that lets me customize the outputted file size instead of using the same one every time.

Complex program, eh? I've only just started on loops. Hopefully I'll get to more complex things later..

Alright, so we got a melting pot here. Because like three-fourths of the famous members of *******.com (ROMs website) are all sheep, which I hate. A herd of sheep emulating things and spreading misinformation. I was guessing this site would mostly consist of rats. :p

mudlord

Banned
Yeah, I use Dev-C++, which seems to automatically compile and link for you. I personally don't like this; I prefer to get a linker that lets me customize the outputted file size instead of using the same one every time.

Since your using Dev C++, there should be project options to strip the executable after the linker did its job...which will shrink the size down a lot.

Complex program, eh? I've only just started on loops. Hopefully I'll get to more complex things later..
Not complex at all, I seen lots more complicated things...:matrix:

Cyberman

Please stop making Poles here

Iconoclast: Unless there is a good reason (I mean you feeling like using a pole to get people interested in your program is not a good reason). don't make a pole in the programming forum. It's ok to discuse a project, but a pole about your own personal project that you recently started is not a good idea. (Reminds me of the Nintendo DS emulator pole that was up a year or more ago SIGH). It would not normally be a big deal, however you made 2 in a row (one about flash programing which again is rather egocentric and then this one). If you were seeking feedback for features or information pertinent or relevant to the forum then it would be fine, these appear to be only relevant to yourself.

mudlord:
It's all that class work you are doing all that stress for success (must be :D ).

Cyb

OP
Iconoclast

Iconoclast

Iconoclast: Unless there is a good reason (I mean you feeling like using a pole to get people interested in your program is not a good reason). don't make a pole in the programming forum. It's ok to discuse a project, but a pole about your own personal project that you recently started is not a good idea. (Reminds me of the Nintendo DS emulator pole that was up a year or more ago SIGH). It would not normally be a big deal, however you made 2 in a row (one about flash programing which again is rather egocentric and then this one).
How is starting polls supposed to get people interested in my program? A ridiculous paranoia. I think you are just afraid that I am trying to arrogantly attract attention over everyone else's projects in selfish desire for them to focus all attention on mine. Personally, I don't care if every thread in this forum had a poll. Maybe they all so happen to have a good reason in common? Your complaint is based on a red-minded, human perspective of the dislike of patterns (ex. consecutive threads with polls started). Not a very healthy method for a tolerant moderator's judgement.

The thing is, the Chinese Zodiac and teaching Flash Programming are social topics. Things like that GCF thread I just started have nothing to poll about. And how is it self-centered?

If you were seeking feedback for features or information pertinent or relevant to the forum then it would be fine, these appear to be only relevant to yourself.
Uh, no, the Flash programming knowledge poll is to see how many Flash programmers we got on this site. Care to tell me how that only relates to myself?

The Chinese Zodiac poll...is to see what kind of crew we got on these forums. :watsup: But since I guess some people like to attack, fine, no more polls, whatever works for everyone.

Damn, I am so sick of moderators like this one finding reasons to judge a user minding his own business as a self-centered, arrogant, thinks-he's-admin user and ways to attack out of pure rashness. Even if you ban me right now out of grudge, I came here to work; you came here to abuse me. Bye-bye.

Last edited:

Exophase

Emulator Developer
Wow, get a load of this Iconoclast guy ^^ Your posts, they're just... you're only 15 and you come off as this arrogant, I would think you knew everything. Or are trying really hard to impress people.

Okay, I admit, I'm partially saying these things just to see what kind of long winded response you'll give me. Does that count as trolling? ^_-

OP
Iconoclast

Iconoclast

Wow, get a load of this Iconoclast guy ^^ Your posts, they're just... you're only 15 and you come off as this arrogant, I would think you knew everything. Or are trying really hard to impress people.

Okay, I admit, I'm partially saying these things just to see what kind of long winded response you'll give me. Does that count as trolling? ^_-
I do not challenge the moderators here; I just despairingly...try to help them. You really think something so puny and contradictive as judging one as the opposite of the traits they actually give off is going to make me come over there with GLs?

While I somewhat 'admire' your judgement, you are still a failure for using it in the ways of the monkey. Now, shoo, pest; I've got more sensible people on these forums to help. Maybe if you get a therapist, you might learn better ways to use your time.

Cyberman

How is starting polls supposed to get people interested in my program? A ridiculous paranoia. I think you are just afraid that I am trying to arrogantly attract attention over everyone else's projects in selfish desire for them to focus all attention on mine. Personally, I don't care if every thread in this forum had a poll. Maybe they all so happen to have a good reason in common? Your complaint is based on a red-minded, human perspective of the dislike of patterns (ex. consecutive threads with polls started). Not a very healthy method for a tolerant moderator's judgement.
Don't be defensive that is the first thing I suggest. Actually listen to people that will help too. Second do things in moderation (see that is what we are for to prevent exceessiveness). Third turn a negative into a postive. You need negative feedback as much as you need positive feedback. In fact without negative feedback most everything becomes unstable. (A fact in physics mathematics electronics and programing as well as management and other things).
The thing is, the Chinese Zodiac and teaching Flash Programming are social topics. Things like that GCF thread I just started have nothing to poll about. And how is it self-centered?
The only thing I don't like is the pole, I could have just edited the thread and removed it, but you notice I didn't.

Uh, no, the Flash programming knowledge poll is to see how many Flash programmers we got on this site. Care to tell me how that only relates to myself?
Sure.. mmmm I can name a few off the top of my head.

The Chinese Zodiac poll...is to see what kind of crew we got on these forums. :watsup: But since I guess some people like to attack, fine, no more polls, whatever works for everyone.
Mostly crazy people. :D If you feel as if you were being attacked, do a check up from the neck up. Read about feedback. Poles are disruptive and often kind meaningless. The flash pole is not the one I was concerned over. Think of it as someone saying "hey you are getting carried away with the poles here chill on them." :D

Damn, I am so sick of moderators like this one finding reasons to judge a user minding his own business as a self-centered, arrogant, thinks-he's-admin user and ways to attack out of pure rashness. Even if you ban me right now out of grudge, I came here to work; you came here to abuse me. Bye-bye.
I could say all sorts of things about you from your words. However you noticed I haven't. Sometime you might take it into consideration that really no one is out to get you here. Honestly you are over reacting to a simple request not to gratitiously make poles. The flash pole is OK as I said. This pole is ... well it didn't make sense too me. That's pretty much it. Not a big deal to me.

As for programming I have a few years of experience in that. The chinese Zodiac I am completely ignorant of (in fact the ocidental one I am as well), as I am not into astrological gazing for predicting future events and have little interest in it.

Erstwhile

I am glad you are having fun that about sums my view of the whole thing.

You can use the
Code:
Code
quotes to post snipets of code as well. I've done it myself. I prefer that to executables being posted (think security). However I don't get on people's case on posting them. :)

Cyb

OP
Iconoclast

Iconoclast

Don't be defensive that is the first thing I suggest. Actually listen to people that will help too. Second do things in moderation (see that is what we are for to prevent exceessiveness). Third turn a negative into a postive. You need negative feedback as much as you need positive feedback. In fact without negative feedback most everything becomes unstable. (A fact in physics mathematics electronics and programing as well as management and other things).
The only thing I don't like is the pole, I could have just edited the thread and removed it, but you notice I didn't.
I like negative feedback on my work, not silly things like the polls I'm starting. That is utterly useless. Another symptom of the human mind: Targeting an escape from locked judgement. Complaining isn't really constructive, now, is it? Also, if you would complain, at least do it with proper spelling, if I may give a taste of negative feedback in turn.

Also, "Don't be defensive." What's up with that, eh? You moderators all here like it when the users doing things you're paranoid to put up with your maljudgement and let you pick on them? I would not have considered you as "picking on me" if you didn't call me 'egocentric' and accuse me of starting polls for self-centered purposes. You will never get any reasoning done with me with such foolish judgement.

Sure.. mmmm I can name a few off the top of my head.
I'm waiting.

Mostly crazy people. :D If you feel as if you were being attacked, do a check up from the neck up. Read about feedback. Poles are disruptive and often kind meaningless. The flash pole is not the one I was concerned over. Think of it as someone saying "hey you are getting carried away with the poles here chill on them." :D
...The last sentence I did not understand. Not exactly attacked, the way you perceive, but you were definitely paranoid to starting polls on things like social questions, so how are they self-centered, eh? Until you answer those questions, your posts here do nothing but push on to the obvious point that I overreacted.

I could say all sorts of things about you from your words. However you noticed I haven't. Sometime you might take it into consideration that really no one is out to get you here. Honestly you are over reacting to a simple request not to gratitiously make poles. The flash pole is OK as I said. This pole is ... well it didn't make sense too me. That's pretty much it. Not a big deal to me.
No, I want to hear/read what you got to say about me. These "all sorts of things," this source of yours claiming potential of claiming these judgements is animalistic instinct. Dare with logic, not prejudice. Even if you did say all of these things, you would most likely 'sound' like a madman. Now are you going to prove me wrong or what?

As for programming I have a few years of experience in that. The chinese Zodiac I am completely ignorant of (in fact the ocidental one I am as well), as I am not into astrological gazing for predicting future events and have little interest in it.
And is that your excuse for hating my starting a poll on it? I don't believe I asked you for your programming experience. I must say, I was being called self-centered? I don't believe I walk up to the first person and talk about my experience out of randomosity. Funny: Arrogance usually challenges what they perceive as arrogance; a lose-lose situation.

So since you didn't ban me, and since you did dare declare these traits of egocentricity and self-centeredness on me, you gave me a turn.

Erstwhile

I am glad you are having fun that about sums my view of the whole thing.

You can use the
Code:
Code
quotes to post snipets of code as well. I've done it myself. I prefer that to executables being posted (think security). However I don't get on people's case on posting them. :)

Cyb
Yes, thank you, or something. I actually was aware of this method. Not everybody has a C++ compiler, but I guess you're right; the experts should see the function for themselves just by looking at the code. I will do this for now on, even though attaching the compiled version is a little more convinient, don't you think?

Of course, you will tolerate that, but not a second poll. To some extent, you are definitely tolerant and allow what is right but seems wrong, just not what is right but seems really wrong.

Last edited:

Exophase

Emulator Developer
I do not challenge the moderators here; I just despairingly...try to help them. You really think something so puny and contradictive as judging one as the opposite of the traits they actually give off is going to make me come over there with GLs?

While I somewhat 'admire' your judgement, you are still a failure for using it in the ways of the monkey. Now, shoo, pest; I've got more sensible people on these forums to help. Maybe if you get a therapist, you might learn better ways to use your time.

He called me a pest and told me to get a therapist (to help me find better ways to use my time no less). XD

Well played. Well played indeed.

OP
Iconoclast

Iconoclast

Lighten up, will you? Can't you see I was just testing you? :p

Taking playful counters and expelling them back out as pessimistic summaries...now tell me, how does that make you a troll?

mudlord

Banned
It's all that class work you are doing all that stress for success (must be ).

Well, have been pulling all-nighters for working on tedious assessments, my sleep patterns are erratic as is...but still, its all worth it in the end for a piece of paper saying I can do something.

Nothings wrong with impressing people....but being arrogant on the other hand.....

He called me a pest and told me to get a therapist (to help me find better ways to use my time no less). XD

Well played. Well played indeed.

But don't just some therapists waste time???? Depends on thier specialty, tho....

Cyberman

I like negative feedback on my work, not silly things like the polls I'm starting. That is utterly useless. Another symptom of the human mind: Targeting an escape from locked judgement. Complaining isn't really constructive, now, is it? Also, if you would complain, at least do it with proper spelling, if I may give a taste of negative feedback in turn.
I believe your attitude toward someone being nice to you is a bit puzzling. However it's up to you how you do things is it not?

Also, "Don't be defensive." What's up with that, eh? You moderators all here like it when the users doing things you're paranoid to put up with your maljudgement and let you pick on them? I would not have considered you as "picking on me" if you didn't call me 'egocentric' and accuse me of starting polls for self-centered purposes. You will never get any reasoning done with me with such foolish judgement.
I've yet to talk about me or myself or defend myself. I've mostly focused on the pole thing, which too me was getting a bit carried away. Sometimes I find I have to do things that people don't like, life's tough that way isn't it?

No, I want to hear/read what you got to say about me. These "all sorts of things," this source of yours claiming potential of claiming these judgements is animalistic instinct. Dare with logic, not prejudice. Even if you did say all of these things, you would most likely 'sound' like a madman. Now are you going to prove me wrong or what?
Well since there was nothing really I had to say about you from your words, what does that mean to you?

And is that your excuse for hating my starting a poll on it? I don't believe I asked you for your programming experience. I must say, I was being called self-centered? I don't believe I walk up to the first person and talk about my experience out of randomosity. Funny: Arrogance usually challenges what they perceive as arrogance; a lose-lose situation.
The fact that I mentioned it should make you ponder it instead of what you are doing. Try not to be combative, it's just like when the police man pulls someone over for speeding, do you think he's picking on them?

Of course, you will tolerate that, but not a second poll. To some extent, you are definitely tolerant and allow what is right but seems wrong, just not what is right but seems really wrong.
Well as I said I'm glad you're happy with what you are programming just chill on the poles a bit. Talk of the town is better for discussing what type of people are on emutalk than the programming forum. Try putting your mind to the programming instead of this kind of thing. Just think of it this way, my job is actually to help you sometimes that includes saying something you don't like.

Back to the Zodiac, there are a few ways to do what you did in the code none of which are particularly 'more right' than another. Your if else setup is effective enough, however it's a bit messy in terms of maintainability. Consider an array or switch statement as something easier for someone else to work with. I'm positive you didn't code it for efficiency, but it works doesn't it? Thus it's not broken.

Adding a bias (say 1200000 or some arbitrarily large mutliple of 12) would allow you to safely work into to whatever number of years BC you would want as well (6000 BC would be -6000 lame but at least workable).
If you wanted to go a bit crazy you could borrow code for the Gregorian Calendar and corelate it to the Chinese Agricultural calender you are using, but this is not as simple understandably. Correcting for leap years and Y2K was a pain in the last program I made that required a correct Calendar date (this is because there was no handy OS or library calls to make these things convienent).

It looks as though you can at least get the year cycle close however the wikipedia article may not be 100% correct (at least it says it isn't) so this could make things, interesting. At least you didn't try the sexagenary cycle that looks like, fun, maybe.

Cyb

Last edited:
OP
Iconoclast

Iconoclast

Well, this thread's gotta have a poll related to the thread subject with it, so if the poll doesn't go in this forum, neither does the thread. Move it to Talk of the Town if it seems that impressing.

I'll have a look at the B.C. stuff later. Simply put...not unbusy right now.

OP
Iconoclast

Iconoclast

Fixed. Negative numbers (B.C. years) are now supported.

Code:
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
int main()
{
    int y;
    cout<<"Enter your year of birth:  ";
    cin>>y;
    do {y = y + 12;} while (y < 0);
    if (y == 14) {cout<<"Really?  Me, too!";}
    else if (y % 12 == 0) {cout<<"You were born on the Year of the Monkey.";}
    else if (y % 12 == 1) {cout<<"You were born on the Year of the Chicken.";}
    else if (y % 12 == 2) {cout<<"You were born on the Year of the Dog.";}
    else if (y % 12 == 3) {cout<<"You were born on the Year of the Pig.";}
    else if (y % 12 == 4) {cout<<"You were born on the Year of the Rat.";}
    else if (y % 12 == 5) {cout<<"You were born on the Year of the Ox.";}
    else if (y % 12 == 6) {cout<<"You were born on the Year of the Tiger.";}
    else if (y % 12 == 7) {cout<<"You were born on the Year of the Rabbit.";}
    else if (y % 12 == 8) {cout<<"You were born on the Year of the Dragon.";}
    else if (y % 12 == 9) {cout<<"You were born on the Year of the Snake.";}
    else if (y % 12 == 10) {cout<<"You were born on the Year of the Horse.";}
    else if (y % 12 == 11) {cout<<"You were born on the Year of the Sheep.";}
    cout<<"\n\n";
    system("PAUSE");
}
Entering text will return a value of 2 to the program according to some debugging, so this should stop that shit as well. And, if someone actually was born on the year 2...meh, let them figure it out. Negative numbers will not return this text.