What's new

More details about FFXI

Eagle

aka Alshain
This game is gonna rock... I wish I could afford $10 a month to play it ???

Cyberman

Hmmm.. I think there will be some problems with the game...
A lot of problems..
I'll wait to actually play it .. if I decide I want to even.

Cyb

FFX is ok.. so far.

OP
blizz

blizz

as i see it the engine they're using is ideal for the direction FF should move in, I do think however the game ought to contain a complete offline game as well otherwise Square is going to loose money on the game.

Cyberman

blizz said:
as i see it the engine they're using is ideal for the direction FF should move in, I do think however the game ought to contain a complete offline game as well otherwise Square is going to loose money on the game.
Well I See a lot of repetition in the FF games lately save FF Tactics (which I think was REALLY good). FF7 is considered one of the best of there work (introduced I think in 1997 in the US). Almost Ever game since FF7 has somewhat followed the same mold. FF8 was less so.. but I am a diehard advocate of FF8 (it has a really freaky ending I hear :). FF9 is FF7 part 2 in a way. It's just situated between two worlds instead. :) FF9 and FF the movie are almost Identical in philosophy too :p VERY disapointing. FF8 would have made a MUCH better premise for a movie than FF9 (FF9 is just fun except the damn card game is just too distractingly limited so I hated it.. just like FF10's anoying blitz ball game.)

What makes FF11 such a huge problem is TIME ZONES IE in the US and Canada you have 4 diffrent Time Zones. This isn't a big deal but .. if they plan on hosting it say in Japan.. this will be a problem. Also connections.. are they going to require DSL? ISP types? LAN connections (IE you share a local LAN with your PS2) etc.

These are just a FEW issues regarding the game, also expecting everyone to do things the way they square likes it is going to hurt the game, flexibility will be the key to playing it. If you buy the game and do not get what you are expecting.. this will generally lead to VERY BAD THINGS for Square Soft :)

I agree that they need to have a standalone version though. NOT everyone wants to be PKILLED online.. or have to group up with other people to win the game.. it's unrealistic to expect people to be glued to the damn TV early in the morning to get a particular thing.. Perhaps TZ thinking will help IE play based on TZ (you aren't playing against a 12 year old in japan who at 9 am at school :).

Cyb

Eagle

aka Alshain
Well, basically it will be alot like other MMORPG games such as Everquest, Dark Age Of Camelot, or the upcoming Lineage 2 which looks awesome.

As for the servers, they will be mostly in three major areas. Square has divisions in Japan, United States, and Europe.

I'm not sure, I think the PS2 connects to the web using a modem device similar to a PCMCIA 56k modem that a laptop would use. For the PC version, I'd imagine you can connect through whatever you have available, but the slower the connection, the more lag there will be.

What I don't understand is why you think the time zones will be a problem. There are hundreds of multinational games available now that span time zones. Some MMORPG, others just multiplayer games like Blizzard or other such games.

OP
blizz

blizz

Time Zone's shouldn't be a problem, it isn't for PSO, although thinking of PSO I'm wondering how Square are going to keep out cheating bastards with their Action replay, because that ruined PSO.

Cyberman

blizz said:
Time Zone's shouldn't be a problem, it isn't for PSO, although thinking of PSO I'm wondering how Square are going to keep out cheating bastards with their Action replay, because that ruined PSO.
They could store user information on the server, since it is a subscription service instead of a standalone game. Moving them from standalone to server probably would not be something to support. Also encrypting the data would help as well.
They have a lot of issues to resolve. Maybe I should get that Ultima Online clone and play on one of the free servers ;)

None of these issues are simple to solve sadly. I know because I am working with something like this. MMORPG's are difficult to manage. Everquest I never got into. I believe instead of 12 bucks a month (highly over priced) they should allow the first purchase with a years subscription to the service (this way they buy the game they get to play for a year). Then they renew for the same price yearly. A much more reasonable method of handling it.

I've played in RPG's online since 1992.. so I know a LOT about the issues of cheating and all that crap. :)

Cyb

Eagle

aka Alshain
One thing that hacks me off is buying a game and then paying a subscription fee too. They should do one or the other. Subscription fee and a free download of the software (or order a cd for $5-$10). Or charge for the software and free servers (like Blizzard Entertainment.)

OP
blizz

blizz

Eagle said:
One thing that hacks me off is buying a game and then paying a subscription fee too. They should do one or the other. Subscription fee and a free download of the software (or order a cd for $5-$10). Or charge for the software and free servers (like Blizzard Entertainment.)

yeah either of those methods is acceptable.

Cyberman

blizz said:

yeah either of those methods is acceptable.

Hmmm have they anounced how they plan on distributing it even yet?
I wonder if this will be another 'legend of mana' game :p :)

Cyb

Eagle

aka Alshain
Of course I keep forgeting, this game is for PS2 as well. I don't know how they would offer a d/l for a PS2 game :/

Cyberman

Eagle said:
Of course I keep forgeting, this game is for PS2 as well. I don't know how they would offer a d/l for a PS2 game :/

It apparently requires the 'PS2' harddrive as well.. I think they may be bitting off more than they can chew.. we'll see.

Cyb

OP
blizz

blizz

Cyberman said:

It apparently requires the 'PS2' harddrive as well.. I think they may be bitting off more than they can chew.. we'll see.

Cyb

from the look of the environments I think their using the hd mainly as a huge arse "cache" (I really doubt that's the right way to describe it) since the areas seem large enough for that, similar to how DOA3 did it on the X-Box

Cyberman

blizz said:

from the look of the environments I think their using the hd mainly as a huge arse "cache" (I really doubt that's the right way to describe it) since the areas seem large enough for that, similar to how DOA3 did it on the X-Box

Likely the case I'm sure it has a large texture base built in too (DVD can store considerable information). Like Quake3 arenas online data has to be downloaded and then use it. I'm not sure what they plan on doing for handling modem versus DSL.

Cyb

OP
blizz

blizz

here's an interesting quote:

Hiromichi also maintained FF XI's inclusion of a main storyline and final boss, though the game's universe will continue to expand as online updates are released, effectively assuring that the story continues long after the original quest is completed. The game also allows for solo play, though many areas will only admit parties.

http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q2-2002/041302b.html

the game is beginning to seem more and more like a half arsed job already :plain:

OP
blizz

blizz

FF7 was great, and online would be really sweet, although the materia system is a little unbalanced.

Eagle

aka Alshain
FF7 had too many limit breaks too. I mean, Areis barely ever got to use her final limit, cause by the time she got it, she would be dead.

Cyberman

Eagle said:
FF7 had too many limit breaks too. I mean, Areis barely ever got to use her final limit, cause by the time she got it, she would be dead.

Hehehe Yeah
Actually in the Japanese Version you could revive Aeris!
They removed that from the NA version

I think it is entirely possible to do an FF7 online actually. The world is large and such but the entire games models and such are in the PSX and PC version. All one needs to do is use those for model information. As for showing the movies at various points, not sure. It would be cool to just have an FF7 world in full detail. Midgard for example was a HUGE city yet only a small part of it was shown.

The biggest difficulty would be sticking to the original theme and enhancing it to work online. Something to think about :)

Balancing the materia system might be kind of hard especially since early on you don't get much in materia. Once of course you are attacking the utlimate weapons you have Knights of the Round and other incorigibly powerful ones.

Hmm could be interesting to make a test system, probably only could do midgard (because you have an entire world to do otherwise ;)).

Cyb