PDA

View Full Version : 64bit Port of TR64

icepir8
May 17th, 2007, 18:52
Hi all,

I am wondering if there is any intrest in me porting TR64 to run as a 64bit application?

I ask this because I have upgraded my computer to an AMD64 cpu and have WinXP-64bit.

Cheers!

Icepir8 :pirate:
:tr64:

SWAT_Marc
May 17th, 2007, 21:05
Well, I guess it's always interesting as long as the result of effort/improvements is balanced.

Pardon my ignorance but, what benefits would it have porting it?

icepir8
May 18th, 2007, 14:29
Maybe none. But it should be easier to impliment the 64bit mode of the MIPS chip. Also I would make the memory management easier.

Cheers!

Icepir8 :pirate:

Tene
May 18th, 2007, 22:01
I would be! I'd be more interested in you porting it to Linux ... But I have a Core 2 Quad, and anything x64 is good.

CpU MasteR
May 19th, 2007, 22:28
I'd say go for it, if 64-bit is the future of processors the interest and the development is what has me curious. :)

Nicholas
May 21st, 2007, 02:09
Yes! But can you also port it to Linux? I currently run Ubuntu 64 bit so I need both a 64 bit and a Linux version. I compiled Mupen64 but have been unable to compile the plugins needed to play ROMs. Perhaps you would be able to provide a working Linux 64 bit version with 64 bit plugins.

decription
July 13th, 2007, 16:26
Yes! But can you also port it to Linux? I currently run Ubuntu 64 bit so I need both a 64 bit and a Linux version. I compiled Mupen64 but have been unable to compile the plugins needed to play ROMs. Perhaps you would be able to provide a working Linux 64 bit version with 64 bit plugins.
That's kind of a tall request...

Would a 64bit ports also allow it to run on multicore machine effectively? I'm a bit ignorant about how this new cores are. I know there are 64bit single cores but would running on a multi-core more be the responsibility of the OS like Vista?

nmn
October 6th, 2007, 01:37
Short answer: No.

Long answer: Yes... You can already take a big advantage of the multiple cores in 32-bit mode, and I believe most emulators use multiple threads, so it may indirectly relate to what your saying, since it does take more advantage of each core.

GarulfoLinux
October 6th, 2007, 14:39
i think that is a good thing for TR64. And i would like really to see TR64 to work on Linux :) .

Perhaps Icepir8 prepare us a gift :D ...

MasterPhW
October 6th, 2007, 15:04
Guys?
I also would like to see TR64 turnout in a 64Bit app, because I nearly have the same config icepir8 has, but this thread is more than 3 month old, so he probably already has made a decision if it would make sense to port it.
But we already digg this thread, so Icy, do have made a decision? *curiously*
Oh... we probably don't get an answer that soon, because last activitity was in june...

GarulfoLinux
October 6th, 2007, 17:10
Guys?
I also would like to see TR64 turnout in a 64Bit app, because I nearly have the same config icepir8 has, but this thread is more than 3 month old, so he probably already has made a decision if it would make sense to port it.
But we already digg this thread, so Icy, do have made a decision? *curiously*
Oh... we probably don't get an answer that soon, because last activitity was in june...
Yes perhaps but i think Icepir8 is working on TR64's port ;) .