Fudge3000

Hiya. Errr...where to begin. Here are my specs:

PIII 450
Geforce 256 DDR
128 MB RAM
SB Live
DVD ROM drive
CDRW drive

Well, PJ64 is a very good piece of programming, and is probably the most compatible emulator ever. Speed for me is actually good too, even on my aging rig...and yet...something is wrong.

Now I know that you'll ask me whether or not I've checked the FAQ or something, but the truth is I've even searched this board, and I STILL can't find the answer. Wondering what my question is? Even with Jabo's or Azimer's sound plugins, and even when getting 50 FPS, I experience SEVERE skipping/sound lagging/clicking...

My computer is getting old, but other emus (UltraHLE) had no such sound problems, at least, NO WHERE near as bad. Does ANYONE here have a rig similar to mine and if so do you have the same issues I've mentioned above? I really want to enjoy PJ64 and I'm looking forward to 1.4, but I get the impression that no one else is having similar problems...

Anyhoo, this is my first post here and I hope someone responds to it... :thumbsup: :pj64: :emutalk1:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
That's weird. Actually, in most games 60 fps is the speed you should get. Getting less will make you experience sound problems. And pj64 is the most requiring emulator of all.

Err... your specs does not match the recommended/required. At least P3 600 MHz are recommended I think.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
You are really getting a solid 60 while this skipping occurs? Does sync audio fix it? (I don't recommend using sync, but does it fix it? Can Azimer's plugin help at all?

OP
F

Fudge3000

I've tried all of em (audio drivers), and all to no avail. Paper Mario, F-Zero, Mario 64, Mario Kart and others are among the games that run at 55-60 FPS, and yet, even F-Zero, which had the best sound out of the lot of'em, still suffers from what I like to call sound friction (sounds like crap too, I may add).

Oh, btw, I'm on XP, but that shouldn't matter. So...yeah...anyways...well...apparently I'm some sort of outlier when it comes to N64 emulation, eh? I also find it weird that buffer settings in Azimer's plugin only result in two things for me: extreme left=scratchy, extreme right=lag, and clicking middle=a mix of the two? There is absolutely no good happy middle point. Anyhoo...let me know on a scale of one to ten just how weird this is.

Smiff- Are you reffering to the audio plugins own audio sync feature? If you are, then I should probably tell you that without it the sound is decidedly less messed up, but its slower and so are the games...weird, huh...such is emulation.

Last edited:

CJM

Yep, I'm getting 43FPS average (varying between 38-56 though), and I have the same problem.

I went to

Frame Buffer Emulation ( in the video settings menu)

and turned it to none, that sped up PJ64, from 13FPS(Felt like Ultra's 3FPS, When I ran them back to back), to 56FPS.

I think it ay be related to a problem I have with the "Driver" game. I can not run it at 50FPS and keep it up to speed either, although there is no jumpping. When I set it to 19FPS, it ran fast, but frame skipping was noticeable, but no jumpping. Also it could be worsened by being out of sync with your monitor refresh rate.

My specs

E-Machine 600mhz Celeron
128mb RAM
Intel 82810 1mb video ram (video card)
Chrystal Sound fusion sound card.
1 gig Virtual memory.

Last edited:

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Im having severe problems understanding you guys, but ill say you shouldnt be using plugin sync, and you should be using core sync. Im not going into the reasons right now, theres a thread in 1964 forum about this.

CJM

Well I'm a newbie, so I don't know what core sync is, or plugin sync?

I think he just needs a better/more compatible graphics card.

My problem is, when I play Zelda OoT or 007 GoldenEye ( the only games I have on PC), the FPS in the bottom right (windowed mode), says 53FPS, and yet the game runs choppily. When a certain amount of 3D data is loaded. When I am in a house or small area, it runs fine. Kokiri Forest is the only place I've been, I haven't tried to beat the parasite boss with PJ64. I'm sure Hyrule field will be the most troublesome.

(Edit) - I belive my I've found the problem. The Video Card runs choppily in big areas and levels right, but the chopping is hardly noticable in Link's or Saria's houses right?

I'm going to try to find ways to optimise it, I'm very close with Zelda.

Last edited:
OP
F

Fudge3000

Smiff: I know there's a core sync in 1964, because its built in to the GUI and I actually had less sound issues with 1964...but I can't seem to find the core sync in PJ64...

Is this some upcoming feature? I mean, I'd love it if you guys would incorporate a built in audio plugin so that this confusion and complexity as to which external, plugin features to use or not use...I hope I made sense...

So...yeah...where's the sync? (that was supposed to jokingly sound like "where's the beef?)...oh nevermind...???

gokuss4

Meh...
i dont really have sound problems at all, i just have graphic problems with certain games like zelda OOT or wave race 64 SE and stuff i want to get a geforce 2 but i have a voodoo3

amd athlon 900mhz
voodoo3 3000 16mb
256mb SDRAM
vortex au10 (good sound supports a lot of a3d)
direct x 8.1