What's new

Networking help!

Josep

eyerun4phun
I dunno if this is the right type of forum to ask this in, but im guessing allot of you would know about networking. Ok, how can i hook up my computer with existing internet to my other computer? I already have a hub, i have an ethernet card in the computer with the internet(duh) and i have one for the one that i want to connect the internet too. Do i even need to use the hub? Could i just use cat5 cables to one ethernet card to the other? not quite sure, anyone? helP!:)

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
allright, ok, i want internet with 2 computers, how exactly would i accomplish that? going off what vampireuk said WITH cat5 cables

Raging Fuel

The jumbles man, the jumbles
What OS are you using (if they are different on different computers say which has which).

Cyber

A+
If you have Windows XP in both computers then it will too easy.

You need the HUB (you can't connect both computer with a cable only)

connect the server in the first link and the second computer in the second link of the HUB; if you use Internet by cable conection then connect the cable in the last link.(I can't explain you very well because I don't know your HUB and I don't speak English:p )

go to network connections and create a new connection with the Wizard
server for the computer that is connected in the link1, and put in share internet connection.
and the other computers in link2, link3, etc...
:sly:

flow``

flow``
personally.. the easiest way to go is to pick up a router. I have a Linksys 4 port at home and XP automatically detects it, and then i setup a home network between the two to swap files back and forth for backups and such. extremely easy :)

don't you have to have gateway's and such with hubs? (i'm not much of an expert in the area either)

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
Cyber, yes i do speak spanish, and after talking with a few of my friends i will probably end up doing what flow is doing exactly, im getting the linksys router for 100 bucks, i heard that the quality of the router depends on your quality in performance, AND im probably going to get about 100 feet of wiring, then i can FINALLY use my "gaming" computer, which will probably be getting the geforce4 ti4200 once it comes out, under 200 bucks for a g4 ti series! sweet stuff;)

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
btw, yes both computers are running winxp pro;) i think this post gives me a "level up";)

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
Raging Fuel said:
What OS are you using (if they are different on different computers say which has which).

what if they were different? lets say a big difference, like win95 and winXPpro?