What's new

On Roms... (NOT a request!!!!)

Ion Dune

Teh_Masterer
I'm confused. I'm trying to get Zelda: Wind Waker on my computer so I can take screen shots, make videos, and extract models. I own the game. From what I've read elsewhere, I've discerned that I can't just burn the disc onto my computer and make an .iso, and that it must be decrypted. Is that correct? What's the process here? Can I harm my disc by putting it in my DVD drive?

Also, what emulator would be best for my means? I'm looking to capture pictures and videos, and possibly extract models (I downloaded the 3d ripper in this forum.)

Any help is appreciated.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
A PC DVD drive cannot read Gamecube discs, that's why it won't work. It won't harm your game disc.

BlueFalcon7

OK, first of all, no public emulators can run Zelda Wind Waker as of now (unless shizZy releases gekko as I post this :p) However, Thakis has a BMD viewer. Go to his site, and download the SZS extractor, and you will also need to find the SZS format explained part 2 thread in this forum. You can extract pretty much every model.

As for getting the ISO to work, you need to google that. It wont work in PCs, because the way the blocks work, is a bit different format from what your disk drive is made to look for. You will need to check google if you want to know how to rip GC isos. If your lazy like me, you can download preripped isos of GAMES YOU ALREADY OWN. I can not tell you where to download them. It is against this forums rules to discuss any means of acquiring isos, so thats really all I can tell you.

OP
I

Ion Dune

Teh_Masterer
I'm still confused... tell me if I'm getting this right:

If I put a gamecube disc in my PC DVD drive, I can extract and .iso, but my computer won't know what to do with it because it is made for gamecube. I can then get tools online that allow me to unscramble it, or I can get pre-ripped ones online.

From there, I have a .gcm that works on emulators. However, no emulators can run Zelda except Gekko, which is still on private betas. (Is there any planned release date for it?)

Finally, if I wanted to extract models from the game, I must use the szstools 1.0 found here.

So what did I get wrong/right? And also, a question I have: What is the BMD viewer for?

Toasty

Sony battery
If I put a gamecube disc in my PC DVD drive, I can extract and .iso, but my computer won't know what to do with it because it is made for gamecube.
Nope, a regular DVD drive won't be able to read the GC ISO, scrambled or otherwise.
From there, I have a .gcm that works on emulators. However, no emulators can run Zelda except Gekko, which is still on private betas. (Is there any planned release date for it?)
No public release date yet, and also no guarantee that it will be able to play WW (when I say play, I mean run without fatal glitches). And if it can, it will still probably run slowly, though we non-beta-testers still have no idea how well-optimized it is yet. :)

Sercio

If I put a gamecube disc in my PC DVD drive, I can extract and .iso, but my computer won't know what to do with it because it is made for gamecube. I can then get tools online that allow me to unscramble it, or I can get pre-ripped ones online.

Nope! Your DVD isnt able to read the Gamecube mini "dvd" so you need a other way to rip your own gamecube images... (google is your friend)

Err zelda works on dolphin (slow so far but it works)... Gekko will be released someday, but Nsider people will get release candidates earlyer so it would be worth to join it :whistling

Finally, if I wanted to extract models from the game, I must use the szstools 1.0 found here.

Yes....

So what did I get wrong/right? And also, a question I have: What is the BMD viewer for?

First you need the GC-Tool to extract the .GCM image and get those files out. Then you need the SZS tools to extract the archives in those files and then you can use the BMDviewer to view some .bmd and .bdl files! For more imformation look here

Last edited:
OP
I

Ion Dune

Teh_Masterer
Thank you, I've got nearly everything I need. I just have one last question: what file types are actual 3d models? And also, what methods (if any) are there for converting them to something compatible in Cinema 4D?

Sercio

The Bmdviewer exports into the 3ds modelformat, which is been used almost on everything AFAIK...
I think C4D should be supportet :unsure:

OP
I

Ion Dune

Teh_Masterer
Thanks JKKDARK, but I already have a copy on my computer. Now I'm just trying to make sense of its contents!

I see what you mean now, Sercio. My only problem is that I'm not sure what file types are actually 3D files. When I decrypted a file in /res/Object/ I didn't get any .bmd files, only things that appear to be textures. So basically, what place on the disc should I be looking, and that file types should I be looking for?

Sercio

look for -bmd and .bdl files... and open it with the bmdviewer! Those .bck files are animations btw, drag them into the window!

OP
I

Ion Dune

Teh_Masterer
Ok, I opened a couple of .bdl's with the BMD viewer, and they exported to .dds's which (IIRC) are just textures. I opened them with the ddsviewer and they come up as either textures, or a 16*16 image with 2 white and 2 black lines.

Let me just double check, is the /res/object/ the right directory to be looking for 3D files? Or have you ever dealt specificly with the Wind Waker disc? It seems right to me, but I haven't been able to find anything 3D yet.

Sercio

do you used the yazor tool (rarcdump.exe) etc? First you need to unpack the .arc archives !
*and yes youre right in the /re/object folder!

OP
I

Ion Dune

Teh_Masterer
Yeah, I use yaz0dec to make it a .rarc, then rarcdump to make it a folder dump.

I just noticed, on some of the files I try to open with the bmdviewer, one of the files comes up as a ".bld 0 FAILED", while the others are .dds. Perhaps theres something is going wrong with the 3D files, but I'm still getting the textures (in .dds form)

Also, to use all the decryption applications (rarcdump, yaz0dec, bmdview) I just set the equivalent file type (ex. .arc) to open with the program (ex. yaz0dec.) IS there a better way I should be doing this that may be the cause of my problems?

Sercio

actually it seems like you are doing all right... be sure you use the latest version of bmdview!

OP
I

Ion Dune

Teh_Masterer
Yeah, I got it a couple of days ago so I'm sure its the latest.

My problem is I still can't find any 3D models. I unpack the .arc's to .rarc's, then unpack those. I open the folder, find the .bdl's. I unpack those with bmdview, and all I get is textures. I also get a lot of FAILED files, which I think are probably the 3D files I am looking for. What do I do?

OP
I

Ion Dune

Teh_Masterer
Whenever I run it by itself, it just opens a window briefly, displays nothing, and closes (all in less than a second.) I made it so .bdl's opened with it, and then just double click on the .bdl's to unpack them. I then get some .dds', and sometimes blank files that say "FAILED." Is this wrong?

Sercio

Are you using the latest Bmdviewer like this? If yes look for an display driver upgrade... maybe its a fault of them