What's new

Problem with Project 64. Help!

twin.memo

:: I AM ME ::
Problem with Project 64. Help!

I have a problem. Being a newbie, I am also very inexperienced at programming. Not that I ever plan on doing any :(.

Anyways, I am also bad at knowing my computer's specifics. In addition, the computer I am talking about is not connected to the internet, and that isn't an option.

So, by far, I have gathered several tidbits of information. My computer is:

Intel Pentium 4

Has tons of RAM and disk space

ATI Raedon

Creative Soundblaster Live!

Windows XP

And I have also filled up pretty much all of the Recommended stuff (except things that are superfluous such as a rumblepak and a real Nintendo 64 controller.

The plugins that I use are:

Video - Jabo's D6. There is a problem with D8
Audio - No problems, but it is the default Jabo
Input - Both NRage and Jabo. Default stuff. No problems here.

And I have also checked all of the Troubleshooting and other stuff. I have basically read all of the Manual and Gamefaq. And I cannot find the problem with Jabo's D8.

So I uninstalled Project 64, got the latest version from the website, plus the updates (none of which are helpful, by the way), and ONLY took a Super Smash Bros. ROM which is the fastest to react ROM towards any problems I have.

To describe it: the Graphics are pretty much okay but the coin-things that are used to choose the players are all white. And the "Access Violations" show up every few seconds or so, until a "Don't Send Error Report" thing appears.

This always happens on the default setting. (I don't know why I failed to mention this earlier, but I am using Jabo's D8, because Jabo's D6 works fine but the graphics are infinitely worse.

When I add "framebuffer" the game runs mad slow, but the game doesn't mess up. Practically, however, it is unplayable.

I don't know how to specify details, so ask me for any specifications.

By the way, I am experimenting on Super Smash Bros. ONLY, but all the other games also mess up. They skip all the Access Violations and goes to the Error Report immediately.

Thank you for your time (if, of course, you are reading this).

:nemu:

One more thing - I have tried EVERYTHING on the manual. Posting this is my last resort.

:(

Iconoclast

For a newbie, you seem a bit experienced, relatively.

Alright, I'll bet for damn sure it's your graphics card. I had issues like Link's clothes white and color combiner issues back when I was using Nemu64 on my brother's PC (didn't have this PC back then). Slow emulation, hardly any games were playable...I was pretty much in your state at the time.

Now, first step, open the Start Menu (lower-left), and right-click "My Computer", and choose Properties. Respond to this post with the exact text it says at the right.

Iconoclast

Hm. Whatever works, though typing it manually is a little more thorough for your mind and remembering these factors yourself, but also, I have to go now. Be back tomorrow, but make sure you also type in dxdiag in the Start Menu/Run command, and browse through and find out what version of DirectX you have. That is likely a cause of your problem with D3D8 and not 6.

One last thing. Choose Options/Configure Graphics Plugin... when using D3D6. At the top-left, it should state the name of your video card. Post that information too.

OP
twin.memo

twin.memo

....?

Thanks for the replies.

I use Direct X9. The words in the Graphics Configuration state:

"Intel(R) 82845G/GL Graphics Controller"

As for the thing Iconoclast says, about Start Menu, My Computer, and Properties, I can now prove that I really am a newbie.

Either I have no idea what "Properties" is, or it does not exist on my computer.

Thanks for the help.

New info:

If my settings in Project 64 is default, then it does all the Access Violations.

If the I change the security settings, the higher it is, the faster it error reports.

If I change anything on the page with framebuffer, it either plays uber slow or it takes some time to crash, and this time without warning.

The Graphics are (physically) completely fine (by how it looks). But I know there is something wrong with the Graphics.

The current PC I am speaking about is a Windows XP without internet. Project 64 works fine with default settings on the Project 64 with a internet, and both have the same stuff. :plain:

Once again, thanks for the time.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Intel's integrated graphics chips are very poor for emulation, and it partially explains all the access violation messages you are getting. Your only choice is to use Jabo's Direct3D6 plugin. Also make sure that the drivers for the Intel chip are up to date.

OP
twin.memo

twin.memo

Agozer. New news.

Maybe Intel is bad for graphics, but I have the same thing with the computer with the internet and it works fine.

In addition, by some outstanding luck, I used a configuration once that allowed me to play using Jabo's D8 without crashing, but my curious self made me want to see if I could do it again, and in effect, losing the configuration.

My point is that I doubt it is the Intel thing.

Well, then again, you said "partially".

Agozer

Do you have the exact same chip (same model) in your other computer and the same set of drivers?

Do you remember anything about the configuration you used?

OP
twin.memo

twin.memo

Intel Inside.

I guess that they have the same things. They both say "Intel Pentium 4" which, by the way, meets the requirements (I think).

I'll try the "Use legacy pixel pipeline".

=]

I log onto emutalk.net wayyyy too often. I guess I have nothing better to do on weekends, after tennis and homework.

Agozer

Pentium 4 is your processor. We are talking about graphics cards here. Indeed, a Pentium 4 meets the minimum requirements just fine, but if it's coupled with a subpar graphics card (or chip), you are getting nowhere.

Last edited:
OP
twin.memo

twin.memo

Alright.

For the record, Legacy Pixel Pipeline doesn't work. Not that I expected it to, anyways.

Thanks for the help.