What's new

Drive questions/IE Problems

Darth_Maul_X2

Sith Lord
1) My other computer has a pritty old 8x cd-rom drive that wont read cd-rs unless i warm it up with factory cd's first, is there a program i can run to fix this?

2) I have an old B: floppy drive that i have hooked up to my other computer and windows is not detecting it, what do i do?

3) My default bgcolor for IE is grey, how can i make it white?

4) IE is not refreshing with meta tags, how can i fix this?

Last edited:

adi

get out of my house
i dont think any software can fix your first one. have you tried cleaning the lens?

blizz

2) check the cables are shoved in properly (why two floppy drives though?)
3) alter your settings, right click on your desktop and select properties, select the appearance tag, then scroll down to application background in the middle drop box, choose application background and you can change the colour from there, this will affect all programs.

OP
Darth_Maul_X2

Darth_Maul_X2

Sith Lord
i dont think any software can fix your first one. have you tried cleaning the lens?
Yes

2) check the cables are shoved in properly (why two floppy drives though?)
Yes everything is tight, the one I am trying to get to work is one of those old big floppy things, cant remember the size.

3) alter your settings, right click on your desktop and select properties, select the appearance tag, then scroll down to application background in the middle drop box, choose application background and you can change the colour from there, this will affect all programs.
thats already white.

zorbid

For the background:

In IE:
Open the tools menu and chose internet options.
There's a "color" button at the bottom of the window.

EdgeBlade

Brandonn
I added a DVD drive and had to end up reinstalling windows for it to show up in "My Computer".

Funny thing was I could access it by manualy typing in the address in IE. Can you access it that way?

flow``

flow``
My other computer has a pritty old 8x cd-rom drive that wont read cd-rs unless i warm it up with factory cd's first, is there a program i can run to fix this?

maybe you could check for a firmware update? (if the manufacturer even has support for them on the website).

and what do you mean by "factory cds" ?

IE is not refreshing with meta tags, how can i fix this?
upgrade to ie6 or tools->options->advanced->reset to defaults.. maybe you messed around with options or something and it got set

EdgeBlade

Brandonn
Trotterwatch said:
You should have just clicked on refresh in My Computer, would have saved you a lot of time.

Are you an idiot or just stupid?

Don't like your intelligence being insaulted? Then please don't insalt mine. I tried that, I tried reseting. I tried everything, I even talked to 3 upper lever computer geeks. Noone could figure it out. It autodetected it, it installed the drivers, but it never showed up. Yet i could access it and use it.

I think this was while I had WinME, maybe it was a bug they have, no idea. But it dosn't matter because I fixed it long ago and now have XP and virtually no problems.

Davemc

Dave
in msconfig there is a box to tick for windows to look for a new floppy drive every time it starts up

is that box ticked?

(this could be useless information that doesnt mean anything)

Trotterwatch

Are you an idiot or just stupid?

No need for that kind of attitude, I wasn't being insulting. That problem I have actually came across before and the solution was indeed something so downright ridiculous as refreshing inside My Computer.

The one other solution I have came across for that exact type of problem was solved by deleting the main IDE controller in Device Manager, and letting Windows redetect every IDE device upon restart.

Apologies if I did insult your intelligence, but please don't react in that manner towards me again, what I posted didn't merit that kind of reaction now did it?

Kev

Last edited:

EdgeBlade

Brandonn
Well then I apoligise for reacting the way I did.

I took it as you thinking I wasn't smart enough to check such a simple basic thing.

I know I tried deleting the drivers and such and letting it find itself automatically, don't rember if I tried deleting the controller. But it dosn't matter now, problem long since fixed.